IGNORED

Happy St. George's Day

The Gasbuster

33 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

remember on St Patrick's day to wish the Irish "Happy Welsh day" ?

It's likely that Patrick was born and raised in northern Britain, either modern day Cumbria or Scotland (he lived long before England, Wales and Scotland existed).

The big difference between George and Patrick though is (if you accept them to have existed) Patrick did actually go to Ireland and live there. 

12 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

It's likely that Patrick was born and raised in northern Britain, either modern day Cumbria or Scotland (he lived long before England, Wales and Scotland existed).

The big difference between George and Patrick though is (if you accept them to have existed) Patrick did actually go to Ireland and live there. 

So wants your point 

13 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

He wanted to, but he never managed it. His grandson, King Athelstan, was the first king of England.

Interestingly, Athelstan's brother Edmund succeeded him as king and ruled until he was murdered in Pucklechurch. Which remains the only interesting thing about Pucklechurch. ;) 

It's a moot point who was the first King of England.

At various points, various Anglo-Saxon warlords held sway over the vast majority of what is now England (and southern Scotland) holding the other kings in fealty as sub-kings. In turns, Kent, East Anglia, Mercia, Northumbria, Mercia again, then Wessex was the dominant Kingdom, but when the Danes (Vikings actually) invaded they installed stooge kings who were subservient to them. Alfred didn't kick the Vikings out, he merely delayed their takeover. 

As early as 642, King Oswiu of Northumbria was styling himself "King of the English".

Aethelstan does have one notable first though: he obtained fealty from the Scottish and Welsh rulers and therefore can be considered the first King of Britain - a Bretwelda in the contemporary usage.

On 23/04/2022 at 10:47, Sheltons Army said:

Are we still allowed to mention , let alone celebrate St George’s Day ?

**** Em

??????????????????????????????????? English and Proud ???????????????????????????????????

This is a genuine question. What makes you feel like you can't? This crops up pretty much every year, people celebrating St George's day somehow imagining they aren't 'allowed' to.

I was in hospitality at Rovers yesterday, there were 40 or 50 blokes dressed as St George who had booked several tables. I knew a lot of them, one of whom was bemoaning the fact we 'aren't allowed' to celebrate it , seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that he and dozens of other mates were doing just that- as they have done in previous years as well!

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

This is a genuine question. What makes you feel like you can't? This crops up pretty much every year, people celebrating St George's day somehow imagining they aren't 'allowed' to.

I was in hospitality at Rovers yesterday, there were 40 or 50 blokes dressed as St George who had booked several tables. I knew a lot of them, one of whom was bemoaning the fact we 'aren't allowed' to celebrate it , seemingly completely oblivious to the fact that he and dozens of other mates were doing just that- as they have done in previous years as well!

Without going into a long explanation, I refer my learned friend , to post 8 on the thread , just as a small example

23 minutes ago, Miah Dennehy said:

Was that the same brainless oap’s dressed as St. George trying to dance on the pitch with FGR supporters at the end of the game?

3 minutes ago, fatchers said:

So, the Jocks and Welsh can celebrate their saints day, the Irish can party on their saints day ,even though he was English but we English have to shut up and sit down . Did anyone remember its Shakespears birthday today ?

It's not Shakespeare's birthday today. Nobody knows when he was born, but it's generally celebrated on St George's Day, not the day after.

As for the rest of your post, nobody has told you to shut up and sit down. Nobody has said you can't celebrate the day. This weird need to feel like a victim is bizarre.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, fatchers said:

So, the Jocks and Welsh can celebrate their saints day, the Irish can party on their saints day ,even though he was English but we English have to shut up and sit down . Did anyone remember its Shakespears birthday today ?

Where has anyone said that? I swear people just make up things in their head to be outraged by

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MarcusX said:

Where has anyone said that? I swear people just make up things in their head to be outraged by

BANNED!!!!

Oh wait.

_124266110_hi075502888.jpg.webp

Crowds have flocked Trafalgar Square to celebrate the Feast of St George.

The event, which celebrates England's patron saint on 23 April, was back on again this year after being cancelled due to Covid-19.

Pearly Kings and Queens attended the central London square, which hosted street performers and live bands alongside a food market.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the event "honours everything that makes England the country it is today".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61203917.amp

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

BANNED!!!!

Oh wait.

_124266110_hi075502888.jpg.webp

Crowds have flocked Trafalgar Square to celebrate the Feast of St George.

The event, which celebrates England's patron saint on 23 April, was back on again this year after being cancelled due to Covid-19.

Pearly Kings and Queens attended the central London square, which hosted street performers and live bands alongside a food market.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said the event "honours everything that makes England the country it is today".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-61203917.amp

so his calls for "the re-establishment of an Islamic state, berating the West for introducing the “diseases of nationalism, of racism, of secularism” and urging followers to further the faith “until Islam becomes dominant or until they kill me” is ok is it?

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, BS2 Red said:

He wanted to, but he never managed it. His grandson, King Athelstan, was the first king of England.

Interestingly, Athelstan's brother Edmund succeeded him as king and ruled until he was murdered in Pucklechurch. Which remains the only interesting thing about Pucklechurch. ;) 

Athelstan was a proper king. Top lad.

5 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

so his calls for "the re-establishment of an Islamic state, berating the West for introducing the “diseases of nationalism, of racism, of secularism” and urging followers to further the faith “until Islam becomes dominant or until they kill me” is ok is it?

Words of his former brother-in-law, 25 years ago, I believe? You sir, have won the golden shoe-horn award, congratulations.

1 hour ago, BS2 Red said:

It's not Shakespeare's birthday today. Nobody knows when he was born, but it's generally celebrated on St George's Day, not the day after.

As for the rest of your post, nobody has told you to shut up and sit down. Nobody has said you can't celebrate the day. This weird need to feel like a victim is bizarre.

It is known that it was around now. He was baptised on the 26th,.at a time when people were baptised shortly after birth. That said, it is always celebrated today.  What is definitely known is that Shakespeare died on the 23rd April.

History does not record whether Shakespeare had opened his presents or blown his candles out before he died.

5 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

Words of his former brother-in-law, 25 years ago, I believe? You sir, have won the golden shoe-horn award, congratulations.

maybe you should take a look at his job as a human rights lawyer defending radical Islamists and self-confessed terrorists especially hate preacher Louis Farrakhan who described Judaism as “a gutter religion”, characterised Christianity as an oppressive faith linked to the slavery of black people and called Adolf Hitler “great” - what a little darling eh!

4 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

maybe you should take a look at his job as a human rights lawyer defending radical Islamists and self-confessed terrorists especially hate preacher Louis Farrakhan who described Judaism as “a gutter religion”, characterised Christianity as an oppressive faith linked to the slavery of black people and called Adolf Hitler “great” - what a little darling eh!

You started by posting a quote that you falsely attributed to Sadiq Khan.

Instead of apologising for your mistake, you immediately go on a bizarre rant about a solicitor doing his job? What his clients do or say has nothing to do with Khan.

Or are you suggesting that Peter Sutcliffe's solicitor was in favour of murder?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Red Cloud said:

I expect most defence lawyers have had to represent some very unsavoury people

Yesterday Mr Khan defended his role in the legal bid.

In an interview with Jack Mendel at Jewish Newshe said: 'I have never hidden the fact that I was a human rights lawyer.

'Unfortunately, that means that I had to speak on behalf of some unsavoury individuals.

'Some of their views made me feel deeply uncomfortable, but it was my job.'

Sources close to Mr Khan said he had condemned extremism and radicalisation publicly for his entire career.

20 minutes ago, Calculus said:

That said, it is always celebrated today.

No it isn't.

William Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, England, in April 1564. The exact date of his birth is not recorded, but it is most often celebrated around the world on 23 April.

https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/shakespedia/william-shakespeare/when-was-shakespeare-born/

2 hours ago, Red Cloud said:

What are you proud about in being English?

One thing I am proud of (even when it feels uncomfortable) is that everybody accused of a crime is presumed innocent until proven guilty, and is entitled to a legal defence. That nobody is above the law and everyone is entitled to be tried by their peers was put down in parchment in this little island in the 13th century.

The principle of that we can rightly be proud of. Khan is simply playing his part in that long-standing English principle. Celebrate it.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

There seems to be a new trend by thick people to think that if a solicitor defends an unsavoury character, that the solicitor is themselves unsavoury. How do these thickos propose that someone on trial gets a defence without a solicitor ? Without a defence they cannot be tried.  Try thinking it through, simpletons  

• Flames 1

10 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

There seems to be a new trend by thick people to think that if a solicitor defends an unsavoury character, that the solicitor is themselves unsavoury. How do these thickos propose that someone on trial gets a defence without a solicitor ? Without a defence they cannot be tried.  Try thinking it through, simpletons  

Everyone knows they're guilty, so what's the point.........