IGNORED

Alternative Championship Table - Squad Market Value

Davefevs

On 10/05/2022 at 19:09, Davefevs said:

Been a lot in the media recently re Luton’s £1.5m value squad versus the likes of Fulham, Bournemouth, etc. that was based on fees paid, notwithstanding some undisclosed stuff.

Here is Transfermarkt’s market value, which is open to scrutiny, but it also includes loan players too.

It still shows Luton seriously punching above their weight, but I was surprised by Millwall.

58846076-7B8B-481D-B6F3-91EC2F0770FE.thumb.jpeg.1889e729b0d5fd23774519b59fd1dae0.jpeg

Dave, could you find a copy of the Premier league's club budgets please? I be interested to see the comparison between Norwich and Manchester City!

I guess with these things the current values they have might be off, but an accurate market value table probably isn't a fair picture either.

Just because we want £20m for Scott (for example) doesn't mean he represented £20m of value on the pitch for us this year. Likewise a squad with older players, who may well be better than a raw youngster, will have a lower market value - but that's not a measure of their quality on the pitch. There are too many other things factored in.

It'd be interesting to see one weighted somehow taking into account the player values at the start of the season as well. That might help reduce the ones like Scott who 10x their value, and the older ones who might halve (or more) theirs.

1 hour ago, IAmNick said:

I guess with these things the current values they have might be off, but an accurate market value table probably isn't a fair picture either.

Just because we want £20m for Scott (for example) doesn't mean he represented £20m of value on the pitch for us this year. Likewise a squad with older players, who may well be better than a raw youngster, will have a lower market value - but that's not a measure of their quality on the pitch. There are too many other things factored in.

It'd be interesting to see one weighted somehow taking into account the player values at the start of the season as well. That might help reduce the ones like Scott who 10x their value, and the older ones who might halve (or more) theirs.

Nobody seems to know exactly how the squad values are arrived at - but the £30M shown for us is less than many on OTIB seem to think we should get for Scott and Semenyo  alone!

27 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Nobody seems to know exactly how the squad values are arrived at - but the £30M shown for us is less than many on OTIB seem to think we should get for Scott and Semenyo  alone!

I read an interview recently with the guy that started the website, and it’s algorithm based (fee / contract length / remaining on contract type stuff), but also flexible to allow their “members” to adjust them.  In the modern day of undisclosed fees it’s harder to get right.

Its never gonna be something to get too fixated with, but at least it values loan players and academy players.  For example our own club accounts only report players signed for fees in the intangible assets figures.