IGNORED

Nick Cave - This Much I Know to Be True

Port Said Red

The good lady the Company Secretarial Administrator, 'er indoors and I went to see this "event" last night. I say event because although it was in a cinema it was not like a real film. That was just as well because if anyone made a fictional version of this and cast Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, it would get ridiculed for being too unrealistic. Both though are hypnotic when on screen, Cave is never still, even dancing while sat at the piano, Ellis looking like some eccentric druid conducting his followers in worship. A man always on transmit as Cave himself said, switching between instruments with ease and looking like he is in a world of his own at times. The songs are just stunning and the whirling camera work and direction just add to the other worldly nature of them, in fact, the only way Hand of God could seem more like a ritual dance would be if it was being staged at Stonehenge or Avebury.
I suppose it should be said that we were both fans before we went, but it's difficult to believe that anyone would not be fascinated enough to investigate their music post this event. Please find some time in your calendar to see this at least once.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Port Said Red said:
The good lady the Company Secretarial Administrator, 'er indoors and I went to see this "event" last night. I say event because although it was in a cinema it was not like a real film. That was just as well because if anyone made a fictional version of this and cast Nick Cave and Warren Ellis, it would get ridiculed for being too unrealistic. Both though are hypnotic when on screen, Cave is never still, even dancing while sat at the piano, Ellis looking like some eccentric druid conducting his followers in worship. A man always on transmit as Cave himself said, switching between instruments with ease and looking like he is in a world of his own at times. The songs are just stunning and the whirling camera work and direction just add to the other worldly nature of them, in fact, the only way Hand of God could seem more like a ritual dance would be if it was being staged at Stonehenge or Avebury.
I suppose it should be said that we were both fans before we went, but it's difficult to believe that anyone would not be fascinated enough to investigate their music post this event. Please find some time in your calendar to see this at least once.

It’s coming to the swamps of the Somerset Levels on 10th June so I’ll see it then. Inspired by this  post I listened to Breathless late last night then I listened to the Cat Power cover and as one does in the early hours I pondered that Cave always seems to try to distance himself from his feelings good or bad in his performances by adopting a persona whilst Chan bless her takes the full blast face on so seems more vulnerable. I guess Nick needs that sort of distancing even more right now. Nice topic - thanks.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Renaissance Williams said:

It’s coming to the swamps of the Somerset Levels on 10th June so I’ll see it then. Inspired by this  post I listened to Breathless late last night then I listened to the Cat Power cover and as one does in the early hours I pondered that Cave always seems to try to distance himself from his feelings good or bad in his performances by adopting a persona whilst Chan bless her takes the full blast face on so seems more vulnerable. I guess Nick needs that sort of distancing even more right now. Nice topic - thanks.

Interesting that you mention Breathless as it was my immediate thought during one of Cave's pieces to camera. He said something along the lines of "there's a whole lot of shit that happens when Warren and I get together, then we hit on something that just transcends it all". In my mind I heard the opening of Breathless which always sounded like the stuff you might here in the corner of a Dublin pub, before the tune comes together.

Can't say I am a fan of the Cat Power version by the way, there seems to be too much of that "lets slow a song down to make it seem more poignant" stuff in the world. It'll probably be on the next M&S Xmas ad. :) 

Edited by Port Said Red

So keen am I that you should see this that I thought I would share this email with you.

"

c6cf04ba-d330-4a95-984d-6fa91e8a65ce.png
ecfb71d4-402e-4721-a617-2b6f220fa82f.jpe

0758c4e3-ed6a-4014-be31-a62705c363c6.png

This Much I Know To Be True directed by Andrew Dominik will be available to stream exclusively on curated film streaming service MUBI globally from 8 July 2022, after receiving its world premiere at the Berlin Film Festival and global cinema event in May. A new clip from the film featuring Marianne Faithful was revealed today.

Shot on location in London and Brighton, This Much I Know To Be True captures Nick Cave and Warren Ellis’ exceptional creative relationship as they bring to life the songs from their last two studio albums, ‘Ghosteen’ (Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds) and ‘Carnage’ (Nick Cave & Warren Ellis).

In this document of their first ever performances of these albums, filmed in spring 2021 ahead of their UK tour, we see the two, accompanied by singers and string quartet, as they nurture each song into existence."

9 hours ago, Renaissance Williams said:

I tried to buy a ticket to see this at a local venue in the swamps of Somerset tonight and was told the film could no longer be shown "DUE TO WITHDRAWL OF THE THEATRICAL RIGHTS".

Anyone know what's going on here - and does it affect the wider world!

Wasn't aware of this, but Mubi have got exclusive streaming rights, so maybe they have exercised that?