IGNORED

14 years ago today….

Wanderingred

11 hours ago, Top Robin said:

The biggest f**k up in the history of Bristol City.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I see we are back to the “not a single shot on goal” myth..

Amazing achievement, if GJ was so shit, how come no one (before or since) has got anywhere near this in over 40 years?

IMO the big f**k up is, as Graham says, the fact that we've not really challenged for promotion to the Premier League for years either side of this.

10 hours ago, Barry Sheene said:

I am of the opposite opinion in that had we gone up we would of ended up messing it up and buying players that were not up to it on high wages which we would then had trouble shifting after the inevitable Relegation.

Reflecting on it, the GJ team felt like a team built on passion and spirit, rather than ability. As lovable as that is, it's not necessarily sustainable. I think that GJ team may have needed major surgery to be anywhere near competitive in the Premier League, else we might have been one of those sides who struggle for 20 points. I suppose you never know though. 

Of course, a bit of an embarrassing season in the Prem could be well worth it longer term when you consider the financial benefits. Perhaps we would have "yo-yo-ed" to a more secure Premier League position across a few seasons.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

Caught the Coach up to Victoria, breakfast and beers nice and early and on to kick off.
Now as we lost, I left straight away I got the first tube out and got back in time to get my coach to Witham, and then picked up by the Mrs and on to Braintree to stay with the inlaws.
Now seeing as we had been drinking early I found it all straight forward. After I found out that my coach was the last one to Witham that day, I would have been trying to get across London much the worse for wear. I probably would be still walking around now, asking how to get to Liverpool Street. :blink:

Always thought Orr's injury made a massive difference, though we had ridden or luck a lot during the season. We could have really struggled if we had gone up, but then ........

On 24/05/2022 at 08:48, Fordy62 said:

Lasting memory was having a pint with the Hull fans post game. They were a decent lot… fairly humble in their victory. 

I probably drank a bit too much that day. ? 

I had a different experience sadly, coach car park underneath Wembley way getting rocks and bottles etc thrown at us.

Cant believe it’s 14 years ago, I feel old now!

On 24/05/2022 at 11:20, Super said:

Without boring you all i took my mum who was ill and passed away a year later and she had an amazing day obviously result was disappointing but some things are bigger than football.

Not boring at all. Glad you all had a good day and sorry for your loss. I'm sure she'll still be watching from on high when we do finally get over the line!

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, pillred said:

Sky sports football ch 403 are showing our game against Hull if anyone can bear to watch at 6pm on Saturday along with some of the other Championship finals that day starting at 3pm.

Probably a bit too soon to be watching that one back ... :)

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, pillred said:

Sky sports football ch 403 are showing our game against Hull if anyone can bear to watch at 6pm on Saturday along with some of the other Championship finals that day starting at 3pm.

Frustrating final and did ultimately prove to be our big chance even though we have had delusions of competing again ever since ?‍♂️
I wonder if we still would be a premier league club now with Johnson’s personality and quirky management and Lansdowns investment at that level I believe he would have thrown some serious dough at it !

I believe we would have stayed up for a few years and had some fun along the way, we would have had a better crack than Hull did anyway in my opinion.

On 24/05/2022 at 07:43, Top Robin said:

The biggest **** up in the history of Bristol City.

Johnson set us up so defensively and it backfired big time.

That day has cost us year of pain and heartache ever since.

???? Not my memory at all 2 very even teams we far from bottled it had a good go against a very very determined Hull back 4

• Like 1

On 24/05/2022 at 19:20, Robbored said:

That’s very true but what the history books don’t say is how he got us that far and that’s always been my beef - positive results v attractive football.

Hopefully Nige will produce both in the next two seasons.

Amazes me how people conveniently forget we were in League 1 for 8 seasons bottom of that League before Johnson dragged us to Automatic promotion and then 1 game from the premier league in 3 seasons !

Peoples agendas really do blind facts and haze memories it’s one of humanity’s saddest qualities 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

On 24/05/2022 at 11:17, archie andrews said:

We lost silly games towards the end of that season that cost us big time... Red stripe teams southampton sheff utd stoke... Looked like we'd been on the red stripe.... 

Silly games but let’s be honest our squad had no business being where they were, that was all Johnson as we’re the next 2 consecutive top 10 finishes he achieved.

Victim of his own success. Our fan base would have accepted top 10 finishes for at least another 3 seasons if we didn’t reach that final but we became entitled to believe we should be competing every year despite only having Byfield, Showunmi and Trundle up front ?‍♂️
As is the lack of intelligence of most football fans

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, phantom said:

More to do with the awful substitution when Orr went off injured

Was the only change to make at that stage of the game. Lee Johnson had played the majority of that season alongside Elliott where we’re top 2 for the majority! Big injury accepted McCombe being sick also massive loss but those are the breaks we still edged that game In high pressure circumstances without being able to create the clear chance but we didn’t have the quality as our squad was packed with League 1 fodder and Hulls back 4 defended for their lives!

Again we had no right to be there Johnson was a miracle worker with us and the undertones of disrespect I detect from some of you on here amaze me!

Thankyou Gary if you read this !

Edited by Logical-City
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 2

• Admin
3 hours ago, Logical-City said:

Was the only change to make at that stage of the game. Lee Johnson had played the majority of that season alongside Elliott where we’re top 2 for the majority! Big injury accepted McCombe being sick also massive loss but those are the breaks we still edged that game In high pressure circumstances without being able to create the clear chance but we didn’t have the quality as our squad was packed with League 1 fodder and Hulls back 4 defended for their lives!

Again we had no right to be there Johnson was a miracle worker with us and the undertones of disrespect I detect from some of you on here amaze me!

Thankyou Gary if you read this !

So to move a player across that could play full back and bring on a centre half wasn't an option? 

Let's move one of our most influential (Elliott) players into a position rarely played and lose one of the best midfielders in the league 

• Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, phantom said:

So to move a player across that could play full back and bring on a centre half wasn't an option? 

Let's move one of our most influential (Elliott) players into a position rarely played and lose one of the best midfielders in the league 

He was never going to bring on Tamas Vasko in a play off final

I’m with you though losing Elliott in midfield was wrong but I can see why he thought to do it. He knows who he trusts.
Johnson Elliott Sproule Mcindoe was the midfield 4 in a team which was 3rd to 1st up until January when Nick Carle came in

Noble started the playoff games from the right against Palace to great effect 

Nick Carle played very well in the playoffs against Palace hence they actually signed him for that next season 

Elliott was experienced at right back even starting a FA cup final in that very position for Millwall 

No pun intended it was a very logical move considering there were over 60 minutes left to play and we were more than in the game 

2-0 down yes be more positive 

All history now though the future looks good this season could be play offs very hopeful 

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

Gotta be honest, result was shit but I had a great day, me and my mate in club Wembley in the hull end, YouTube video of us singing to our neighbours, cider, ‘posh’ seafood, champagne (my mate has more money than sense), we played ok, was close and not embarrassing, what would we do in the prem?, lift home with 2 city fans who’d taken it less well…great memories of a great season and a great day…here’s to the next time

47 minutes ago, RedHienz said:

Sat in Plymouth student uni surrounded by Hull fans. Some members of which are who beat my uni team in a cup final the week before.

Ranks a bad day! 

If you are alive tomorrow you have a good  day ahead ?

• Like 1
  • Robin 1

On 14/07/2022 at 12:26, Logical-City said:

???? Not my memory at all 2 very even teams we far from bottled it had a good go against a very very determined Hull back 4

Agree that we didn’t bottle it. And the highlights I’ve just watched support my memory - we attacked far more than Hull. Adebola, Carle, Trundle (twice) and Byfield all had decent chances. We lacked quality on the day but we certainly gave it a go. It just wasn’t our day. We had such a tight squad and losing both McCombe and Orr was always going to be a tough ask. Orr probably would have blocked the Windass shot if it wasn’t for his serious head injury. This was nothing like our performance v Brighton in the league one play off final where we certainly did bottle it. 

• Flames 2