IGNORED

Bristol World

gornagain

I made the mistake of reading one of their articles.

Headline - "Bristol City supporter banned..........."

Content - Two Bristol Rovers supporters banned, one Bristol City supporter banned (and one Bournemouth fan)

I was not able to find reference to this article in the Rovers section of the site., It is currently the top article in the City section.

Bias or what?

• Like 2

• Admin
35 minutes ago, gornagain said:

Content - Two Bristol Rovers supporters banned, one Bristol City supporter banned (and one Bournemouth fan)

I was not able to find reference to this article in the Rovers section of the site., It is currently the top article in the City section.

Bias or what?

click bait - nothing else

We have a much bigger following and audience, if they can slip our name in somewhere it gets them more clicks

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, gornagain said:

Bias or what?

There's definitely been a bias towards a certain club historically, that's over the 55 years I've been reading the EP and watching local news. Having a large editorial staff of Rovers supporters was a major reason at the EP, possibly the same but, also the underdog scenario gave them an easier ride with the other media and also the EP influencing other media sources. We also have to consider how the media works, tell the story about the biggest organisation with the biggest audience, in local football terms that's BCFC.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, gornagain said:

Bias or what?

I have long held that view. I really can't understand the biased love in

1 hour ago, Rich said:

There's definitely been a bias towards a certain club historically, that's over the 55 years I've been reading the EP and watching local news. Having a large editorial staff of Rovers supporters was a major reason at the EP, possibly the same but, also the underdog scenario gave them an easier ride with the other media and also the EP influencing other media sources. We also have to consider how the media works, tell the story about the biggest organisation with the biggest audience, in local football terms that's BCFC.

100%.

The Post is amazing, if we are linked with a player like Horsfall this week the report will always damn with faint praise & then highlight a fault, Sykes was described as “inconsistent” when we signed him, last summer Rovers signed a bloke from Forest Green (Collins?) & he was honestly compared with Jack Grealish, it’s basically North Korean media levels.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

No journalism involved. Most local news outlets are nothing more than advertising rags these days. 

Spot on. It's all User Generated Content and such are Reach's woeful journalistic standards that's the reason they often use video or audio content, extracting text from that.

Expect them to lead tonight on David Cotterill's latest social media breakdown, which of course will reference City.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Spot on. It's all User Generated Content and such are Reach's woeful journalistic standards that's the reason they often use video or audio content, extracting text from that.

Expect them to lead tonight on David Cotterill's latest social media breakdown, which of course will reference City.....

Is there really a proportionate appetite for high quality articulate long reads amongst Bristol football fans to make it worthwhile though? How else do you suppose they make money? I’m intrigued rather than arguing a point.

I see local outlets berated a lot for their methods but such is the state of the journalism industry at the moment I’m not sure they have much choice. I certainly can’t see how it’s fair to put the blame on individual journalists who are overworked doing tedious regurgitative articles when I’m sure they’d rather be on tasks that would allow them to add some flair. Add in the pay to that which we all know is dire plus the long hours and it’s not the nicest gig in the world. 

52 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Is there really a proportionate appetite for high quality articulate long reads amongst Bristol football fans to make it worthwhile though? How else do you suppose they make money? I’m intrigued rather than arguing a point.

I see local outlets berated a lot for their methods but such is the state of the journalism industry at the moment I’m not sure they have much choice. I certainly can’t see how it’s fair to put the blame on individual journalists who are overworked doing tedious regurgitative articles when I’m sure they’d rather be on tasks that would allow them to add some flair. Add in the pay to that which we all know is dire plus the long hours and it’s not the nicest gig in the world. 

UGC was a deliberate strategy from around the time I got out of that line of business. There were many regionals that made good money through quality journalism, that generated decent ad revenue as punters invested and spent time on the product, save online gave proprietors the chance to slash overheads thinking revenues would stand up - they didn't.

Quality has declined so much regional print journalism no longer exists and what the proprietors hadn't factored in was the take up of social media platforms. If one wants the latest, reliable news there are dozens of local news feeds, often independents, that best boys like Reach hands down and which don't come with those annoying pop up ads and clickbait that actively turn readers against advertisers (who are only now begining to catch on that even very cheap online rates may not (reputation wise) be worth it.)

6 hours ago, TomF said:

The BBC article is just as bad using a picture of AG

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-61568934

Tbf, they picked a picture of the Memorial Ground first but, after they'd stopped pissing their pants with laughter, decided it couldn't possibly be a football stadium - so used one of The Gate instead. 

6 hours ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Until quite recently, I used to drive several kilometres and spend quite a few €uros to buy The Sunday Times for that very reason.

Especially in the winter months, sitting in front of a roaring log fire after a satisfying Sunday lunch, there used to be nothing better than reading an intelligent, well written, insightly and detailed football article by Brian Glanville and, latterly, Henry Winter, or an invariably amusing and cantankerous Stephen Jones article about rugby.  

5 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Quality has declined so much regional print journalism no longer exists and what the proprietors hadn't factored in was the take up of social media platforms. If one wants the latest, reliable news there are dozens of local news feeds, often independents, that best boys like Reach hands down and which don't come with those annoying pop up ads and clickbait that actively turn readers against advertisers (who are only now begining to catch on that even very cheap online rates may not (reputation wise) be worth it.)

Well said, and something I endorse totally.