IGNORED

Where Was Gillespie

Guest Lockerman

Guest Lockerman

Where was Gillespie again he has not been bought on or given a run, it seems to me as though when we have coached out his natural ability, and he can play with the mentality of the rest of the team he will probably get a game.

I like Lee Miller, Leroy Lita and Paul Heffernan but they apart from Leroy we ain't scoring,Attack, Attack, Attack, and we will get more people in the box we just ain't doing it, It has only been two games and I can already feel the vibes and I am sure that it won't be long before the Ashton Faithful turn on Brian Tinnion.

Give Gillespie a go against Bournemouth, and get that Target Man Sooner Rather than later.

So if we give Gillespie a go and also bring in a target man who do we drop exactly? Lita? with 2 in 2, Heffernan? who scored 20+ last season.

I'm sure you're going to say Murray, but if Murray goes the replacement has to be a winger not another striker.

People are getting obsessed with this attack, attack nonsense, what about having a midfielder who gets forward, that's partially where it is going wrong (apart from the stupid formation, of course).

Football is all about blends, we have no height up front at the moment (and no matter how good you are you have to put it in the air sometimes) and a midfield that contains two players in Tinnion and Doherty who cannot cover any ground, so the balance is just not there.

This is a mediocre standard, guys like Craig Fagan score regularly and the likes of Matt Hewlett make effective contributions, we may not be as good as the insane optimists on this board may believe, but it shouldn't be beyond a side that finished third last year to at least be competitive.

Guest Cideriuplandlord
So if we give Gillespie a go and also bring in a target man who do we drop exactly? Lita? with 2 in 2, Heffernan? who scored 20+ last season.

I'm sure you're going to say Murray, but if Murray goes the replacement has to be a winger not another striker.

People are getting obsessed with this attack, attack nonsense, what about having a midfielder who gets forward, that's partially where it is going wrong (apart from the stupid formation, of course).

Football is all about blends, we have no height up front at the moment (and no matter how good you are you have to put it in the air sometimes) and a midfield that contains two players in Tinnion and Doherty who cannot cover any ground, so the balance is just not there.

This is a mediocre standard, guys like Craig Fagan score regularly and the likes of Matt Hewlett make effective contributions, we may not be as good as the insane optimists on this board may believe, but it shouldn't be beyond a side that finished third last year to at least be competitive.

OK dont start with him but at least give him some kind of run out,

Guest LeicesterRed

I think whilst people are getting obsessed with attack, we should look at how poor the defence has been. It looks creaky to me, and definitely not the bastion it was for most of last season. Its ok having loads of strikers at the club but i thought the defence was absolutely abysmal last night. We were lucky not to have 3 or 4 past us. One thing Wilson did do was produce an excellent defence.

Having slept on what i saw last night, I really do think it is time to make some serious changes in our approach to the forthcoming games.These tactics are going to see us scrabbling for survival rather than storming into the Championship.

I wouldn`t mind if attack was our only issue, but the defence is very very shaky indeed, and a good team will rip us apart.

I agree that people are getting obsessed with 'attack,attack,attack' and I am sure Tinnion has discovered it is easier to say than to implement on the field. Just because we have 3 strikers on the field and another 3 on the bench doesnt mean we will score goals. Last night we were again devoid of creativity and ideas. No width or movement beyond the strikers by the midfield. Instead we just look more fragile and disorganised. At least last season we rarely looked like getting beat and if we did it would be invariably be by the odd goal. I hate to say it but lets get back to basics and look solid first and build the confidence again. For as long as we stay 4-3-3 I fear that we may take the odd hammering this season. I also believe that Hull's victory last night rather puts our Saturday result in perspective.

Guest Lockerman

We are looking at the present team without a Target man, if lita is scoring then play him with Lita as Heffernan is lacking confidence in front of goal at the moment, but as anothe reply said at least give him a run out, the longer you leave him without a run or a game he is going to become decidedly stale.

Is this guy REALLY as good as the hype, or are we just getting over excited cos he's ex Liverpool??

I aint seen this guy play, and he has ZERO 2nd Division expereience, and Liverpool did release him.

Sensible posts, as its a sensible question, cos I aint seen him play at all :dunno:

I just wonder if there is substance to it all?

Is this guy REALLY as good as the hype, or are we just getting over excited cos he's ex Liverpool??

I aint seen this guy play, and he has ZERO 2nd Division expereience, and Liverpool did release him.

Sensible posts, as its a sensible question, cos I aint seen him play at all :dunno:

I just wonder if there is substance to it all?

How do we know? I saw the game against Oxford reserves when he got 4 in a 8-1 win and they were embarassing, they gave up when it got to 3 and anyone could have scored after that. He also scored 3 against last season's Gas reserves (that is players who couldn't get into one of the worst teams in the League).

This season he scored goals against Newport County and Clevedon I believe, what does that tell us? nothing.

His record for Liverpool reserves wasn't great but he was prolific in under 19 football.

I posted before that Rodney McAree and Scott Paterson came to us from Liverpool and they didn't make it so that means nothing, either.

What is true though is that if (at some stage in the future) we don't give him a chance we'll never know, just can't see why with Lita scoring and Heffernan bought for money it should be now.

2 games have gone!!! He will get his chance at some point. Had BT taken one of the stikers out to give SG a chance then people would be moaning that the man he replaced wasnt given a chance.

Guest yajrellim

from what ive seen of gillespie the boy has an eye for goal.and is technically very good.

but he did look a tad inexperienced, which is just down to the fact he has never tasted 1st team football.

given time i think he will prove to be a great signing.

lee tells me he is a great finnisher in training, so when given a chance he might take it, only time will tell.

give him time.

Archived