IGNORED

Champions League Final

Pearcy

French Interior Minister on TV Live now

Claims

* Forged tickets issue only a problem with Liverpool fans / entrances

* ‘massive fraud’  (Of forged / faked tickets) at ‘an Industrial Level’

* And %70 of !!! tickets presented at the Liverpool entrances were Fraudulent / fake

Some big claims!!     (French Sports Minister stating same now) there , and I assume they are reporting with some basis / truth ! 

%70 Blimey (They are claiming 30-40000 outside stadium with no tickets or fake tickets) 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, BCFC1959 said:

That's fine. But I disagree. 

Whether you disagree or not, you can only decide for yourself. It's not your decision what nationality someone else is. For some people, their "main" nationality is the country of their birth, for others the country where they were raised (if it wasn't the country of their birth) and, for others, it is the country their families came from. Some other people feel they have more than one nationality. 

All those are perfectly acceptable answers and none are in any way "wrong". It just comes down to what someone considers their nationality to be. 

38 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Claims

* And %70 of !!! tickets presented at the Liverpool entrances were Fraudulent / fake

Some big claims!!     (French Sports Minister stating same now) there , and I assume they are reporting with some basis / truth ! 

%70 Blimey (They are claiming 30-40000 outside stadium with no tickets or fake tickets) 

And I assume they retained all these tickets as evidence.

14 hours ago, luke_bristol said:

St Etienne just got relegated to Ligue 2 and their fans ran on the pitch to attack their own players

E2A: they were firing flares at their own players and the coaching staff

Be difficult for the French authorities to blame that on English hooligans 

The Liverpool fans with the fake tickets had to go on somewhere! 

44 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Claims

Also if they were so clever as to detect so many fraudulent / fake tickets, the question has to be asked why people with genuine tickets were being refused entry and pepper sprayed.

Edited by Sir Geoff
Edit text
  • Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Geoff said:

Also if they were so clever as to detect so many fraudulent / fake tickets, the question has to be asked why people with genuine tickets were being refused entry and pepper sprayed.

Precisely my thought. Even if these claims were true - and I'm very sceptical of that - they in no way explain what actually got reported on the ground.  

I'm no mathematician but if there were 25000 genuine ticket holders and they are claiming 75 per cent of tickets produce were fake then the number is greater than  the 30,000 they are claiming. Whilst there were clearly thousands of Liverpool fans in the press photos waiting to enter the ground there certainly weren't 50000 plus.

Edited by Sir Geoff

I was hearing on Saturday afternoon that there were loads of tickets for sale in Paris and around the stadium.

I commented then that they would either be from locals or, more likely, forged.

What is now coming out is that the people climbing over the fences/ticket barriers were locals and, furthermore, people with forged tickets were getting through the first checks, only to be refused entry at the stadium itself as the screening apparatus was more accurate.

I don’t know whether this was reported in the English press, but there were also a lot of muggings, theft of handbags, jewellery and the like.

Regrettably, this is a regular occurrence at the Stade de France, especially when there are concerts. The locality is not the best!

On 29/05/2022 at 07:25, richwwtk said:

Is it only me that doesn't get that bothered by 'plastics'? (using the term plastics here for someone supporting a club they have no geographical or family connection to)

I think it would be fair to say that, in football, once you are saddled with a club you are pretty much with that club for life.

Most people tend to make their club connections as they first become really 'aware' of football, and without outside influences I would suggest that comes around 10-11.

It's only natural at that age to be aware of the teams that get the media coverage, or through your peers. In most cases this will be the bigger, more successful clubs of the day. It's why there seems to be hundreds of Leeds fans amongst people my sort of age (mid fifties) for no apparent reason than they were good in the early/mid seventies.

The only way out of you becoming a lifelong supporter of these clubs is for someone to have an effect on you. It may be that you are lucky enough to be taken to Ashton Gate by already City supporting family members in which case the big clubs never took hold or, in my case, I had to wait until I was 15 and old enough to go on my own and went to Ashton Gate with my already City supporting cousin who had in turn been taken by his schoolfriends dad from age 11 or so, thus avoiding the lure of the big clubs. Previous to this I had split my time between being a Man Utd fan (1977 FA Cup) or QPR (League runners up in 1978).

For a lot of people with no influence to turn them towards Ashton Gate, they just remain a supporter of the club they 'chose' at an early age and it becomes part of them. Most will go to no more than a couple of games a season, if at all, in person but it is their club and I do not despise them for it.

I consider myself lucky to have become a City fan, it makes up a part of my identity more than being a big club fan ever would, but I also consider myself lucky to have been set on that course, and I know a lot of people won't have had that chance.

If you are a City fan through family connections etc., then consider yourself very lucky indeed, but remember that other people didn't get that chance.

I also think that this is beginning to change, you see more and more City shirts on kids these days, the club is getting better at marketing itself and I really do feel that in another 20 years or so the proportion of City fans to 'plastics' in the area will have shifted a fair way in our favour.

Having said all that, people that actively turn their backs on City in order to just follow the successful clubs, or change their allegiances each season according to who won the league the year before are the true plastics, and really do deserve all they get.

This is fair- hadn't really looked at it like that. I used the word lazily a bit.

Yes geographical and family connections do see things differ- of course clubs have fanbases that spread geographically, especially successful ones. That is self-evident and I get that angle too.

Club for life, not for Christmas is a good way of putting it I think.

For sure- totally agree- allegiance hoppers, or those who switch from local to big club- that is plastic as it gets.

My view fwiw is...support local side- if family ties that too is a factor, geographical mobility is much bigger now than 100, perhaps even 50 years ago?

I was quite fortunate in a sense because though there were the usual selection of Arsenal and Man Utd fans in Primary School in the latter year groups, there were also a number of City fans there- probably helped to sway my thinking! Didn't know that many new City or for that matter Rovers fans at secondary school, certainly not as a proportion.

Then you have those who go to some games from far away- ie e.g. Man Utd fans from Surrey, Devon- wherever. On the one hand they are not supporting their local side, on the other hand it is quite a distance to travel- especially e.g. Devon.

On 29/05/2022 at 10:06, maxjak said:

Yep.........the current Madrid side are the most boring side to win the Champions League since Steaua Bucharest......but they have an outstanding keeper, who was, as you say MOM.

That's debatable- they scored nearly 30 goals in the tournament, are you also forgetting Chelsea's absurd backs to the wall run in 2012 I'd say that was less positive for a start- resilience or boring, an interesting debate there- Chelsea were surely more defensively/counter pressing minded?

Wasn't a vintage Real Madrid for sure but at times in their run some real periods, flashes of excellence and strong possession play- in fits and starts though.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's debatable- they scored nearly 30 goals in the tournament, are you also forgetting Chelsea's absurd backs to the wall run in 2012 I'd say that was less positive for a start- resilience or boring, an interesting debate there.

Fair enough.............it is without a doubt worthy of debate

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Fair enough.............it is without a doubt worthy of debate

I just have a feeling their name was on the trophy in a sense- it's a cliché but some truth...they undoubtedly rode luck as well as some good play and conceded a good few goals in the knockouts.

In transition too Real Madrid- some top names but an aging side.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

6 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Whether you disagree or not, you can only decide for yourself. It's not your decision what nationality someone else is. For some people, their "main" nationality is the country of their birth, for others the country where they were raised (if it wasn't the country of their birth) and, for others, it is the country their families came from. Some other people feel they have more than one nationality. 

All those are perfectly acceptable answers and none are in any way "wrong". It just comes down to what someone considers their nationality to be. 

Agreed

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Claims

Im surprised he didn't go on to blame the Scousers for all the hub cap thefts in Paris on Saturday!

Listening to Jeremy Vines radio 2 show earlier today he had a phone in about events in Paris on Saturday. One of the callers was a rugby fans , who has attended 6 nations England games in Paris over the years and said that there has been a noticeable change in attitude towards English fans in the last few years - and not for the better!

• Like 1