IGNORED

Argentina v Italy

Will b11

• Admin
25 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

Argentina are playing Italy in the finalissima cup final at Wembley tonight, just wondering is anybody else watching it and if they are is there a channel on tv which it’s being shown on because I can’t find it ? 

Screenshot_20220601-181749_Sky+.jpg

Early 2000s and completely by chance I was flying into Rome and saw the Olympic Stadium lights were on, transpired Italy were playing Argentina in a friendly that night. Made my way straight there, bought a touts special and witnessed one of the finest 'technical' games of football I've ever witnessed.

Argentina best Italy 2-1, Italy's first home loss at the stadium in 60 years or so. Veron masterclass. One stunning passage of play where he played the ball up to Crespo on the halfway line,  Maldini pushed up man to man so Crespo back to Ayala who knocked it square to Veron and thus the triangle was repeated a dozen times or more. Until that is Maldini finally, but only slightly, delayed, enough for Crespo to spin, Veron ball over the top and Crespo through on goal should have scored. Chess footy and fabulous.

Game enhanced by the odd but local rivalry of Roma supporters housing Italy fans their (home) end whilst the Argentine end was occupied mostly by a few Argentine fans but loads of Lazio supporters supporting 'their home end' plus the opposition given the players who played for them . Club certainly before country that night and never again seen the like.