IGNORED

Last Night

Guest redZW

A friend of mine is a long suffering Barnsley fan who was at Oakwell last night. Out of curiosity, I asked him for his view on the game.

Albeit brief, and fairly neutral (surprising for him), this is what he came up with:

"Loads & loads of nice football from both teams ...with no end result...

You lot played quite defensive in the first half, but nearly nicked a goal

on the break...maybe that was the plan...

Second half you had a good spell for 10 mins (but yet again no shot on

goal!!) then we broke away and scored...after that there was only one team

in it....we should have wrapped it up with more goals, we missed two 1 on 1s

with the goalkeeper.....

Leroy was your best player, if you could just get the ball to him, he

makes good runs...."

So, it can't be all bad if the opposition think that we play 'nice football' and have a player who makes 'good runs'. Mind you, the 10-min spell with no shots is a tad worrying.

Am I just trying to be overly positive in this shadow of negativity looming over the board??? I apologise if so... :D

A friend of mine is a long suffering Barnsley fan who was at Oakwell last night.  Out of curiosity, I asked him for his view on the game.

Albeit brief, and fairly neutral (surprising for him), this is what he came up with:

"Loads & loads of nice football from both teams ...with no end result...

You lot played quite defensive in the first half, but nearly nicked a goal

on the break...maybe that was the plan...

Second half you had a good spell for 10 mins (but yet again no shot on

goal!!) then we broke away and scored...after that there was only one team

in it....we should have wrapped it up with more goals, we missed two 1 on 1s

with the goalkeeper.....

Leroy was your best player, if you could just get the ball to him, he

makes good runs...."

So, it can't be all bad if the opposition think that we play 'nice football' and have a player who makes 'good runs'.  Mind you, the 10-min spell with no shots is a tad worrying.

Am I just trying to be overly positive in this shadow of negativity looming over the board???  I apologise if so... :D

RedZX, Not overly positive, just sensibly realistic.

Too many fans on here demonstrate that the joint between ankles and hips, will

move in direct response to one bad result.I suspect a lot of those fans were the same ones demanding Wilson out at the end of last season. They got what they wanted, but do they now expect a new manager (a first time manager at that), who lost some established players from the previous squad ( Brown, peacock and Carey) who is bedding in new players ( Heffernan, Orr, Smith) and is trying out a new formation (remember the complaints about Wilson's over defensive tactics?) will achieve the change seamlessly, as through we have not had a pre-season break?

Get realistic please! The expectations of sections of our fan base are sometimes unrealistic and this in itself puts undue pressure on the club, manager and team. We all want success and to be playing at a higher standard but we have no God given right to be playing in the Championship, any more than Wednesday, Bradford, Huddersfield or Barnsley. We have to earn success on the pitch. We didn't do it over the last 2 seasons and may not do so this season either. One thing I am sure about, the degree of negativity quickly being demonstrated on here, will be vocally demonstrated at the Gate very soon as well - how does that help the team?

I see more away games than home, and at Peterborough in particular last season you would have thought we were the home team. It wasn't a great performance but the fans support throughout the match made the difference, and we pinched a 1-0 win. What a difference that type of support might make to our home form this season!

Guest Big Si

You are right Downend Red, but the problem is that we have been overtaken by many clubs who were our equal or inferior, and we have spent money again on a squad that finished third last season. Also, if you look at the squad, we should be whipping Torquay (with all due respect) but it isnt happening.

However, It is clear that Tinman is trying to get the team playing good stuff, so whilst I am not happy with the way we have started, Tinman deserves more respect based on his feelings for the club and the contribution he has made over 11 years than some people are giving.

Whilst i am not happy with 433, We have good enough players to make it work, but there are individuals who I believe are not contribuing much who should be looking at themselves, rather than us moaning about tinman.

Si.

You are right Downend Red, but the problem is that we have been overtaken by many clubs who were our equal or inferior, and we have spent money again on a squad that finished third last season. Also, if you look at the squad, we should be whipping Torquay (with all due respect) but it isnt happening.

However, It is clear that Tinman is trying to get the team playing good stuff, so whilst I am not happy with the way we have started, Tinman deserves more respect based on his feelings for the club and the contribution he has made over 11 years than some people are giving.

Whilst i am not happy with 433, We have good enough players to make it work, but there are individuals who I believe are not contribuing much who should be looking at themselves, rather than us moaning about tinman.

Si.

Agree we have good enough players, I just think that Tinnion's problem is finding the right blend, and that may take a few games, especially if he has to swallow his pride in making certain selectons.

You don't win this league in the first month of the season. Promotion is won over the long haul not a short sprint and we have a squad to keep us in contention to the end. My only conern is that Tinnion can't takke too long finding the right formation/team selection as you can lose promotion in the first month if you get too farbehind the top teams and have to play catch up - like last season.

Archived