IGNORED

Billy Bingham RIP

glynriley

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Did a great job for NI in the 80's.

Reat In Peace.

Brilliant job, 90 is a decent age, too.

Remember watching the ‘82 World Cup, as it was the year after I started work, I did so almost entirely in the pub.

The 1-0 win over the hosts Spain was a great night.

• Like 3

Really sad news 

I had the fortune to spend an evening with BB some years back when he was a Director at Blackpool 

Also present in a small group with a few beers was Nigel Worthington

Im not sure I said much , out of my football league and it was awesome to hear him and Worthington chatting football

Both were absolutely two of the quietest , humblest , nicest men I’ve met 

a real privilege

RIP Billy

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliant job, 90 is a decent age, too.

Remember watching the ‘82 World Cup, as it was the year after I started work, I did so almost entirely in the pub.

Not everyone on here will know that (you worked for many years in the pub trade). Most will probably have had you down as a, I dunno, maybe a civil servant or something.

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Not everyone on here will know that (you worked for many years in the pub trade). Most will probably have had you down as a, I dunno, maybe a civil servant or something.

I certainly should have had shares in The Sea Horse for that particular World Cup..

Actually I have not been a Civil Servant for 6 years now ?.

Just now, GrahamC said:

I certainly should have had shares in The Sea Horse for that particular World Cup..

Actually I have not been a Civil Servant for 6 years now ?.

Is that time off in lieu, built up from queen’s birthday, sick days not taken, etc….that’s the civil service way isn’t it? ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Is that time off in lieu, built up from queen’s birthday, sick days not taken, etc….that’s the civil service way isn’t it? ?

It certainly has some very generous allowances compared to the “real world”..

Found that when I left, had just over 30 days leave a year, flexi days each month & as you say, nonsense like the Queen’s birthday.

New job was 24 days holiday, no flexi (basically I give away my excess hours every week) & none of that monarchist day off for the Queen stuff..

• Like 1

Just now, GrahamC said:

It certainly has some very generous allowances compared to the “real world”..

Found that when I left, had just over 30 days leave a year, flexi days each month & as you say, nonsense like the Queen’s birthday.

New job was 24 days holiday, no flexi (basically I give away my excess hours every week) & none of that monarchist day off for the Queen stuff..

My dad ended up in an admin job in the CS in his last few working years.  His manager came up to him one day and said “Mr Fevs, you’ve not taken your sick days yet”….it was a completely alien concept to my dad, who’s only days off work in his lifetime was when he broke his wrist on my next door neighbours skateboard in the late 70s!!!

• Flames 1

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My dad ended up in an admin job in the CS in his last few working years.  His manager came up to him one day and said “Mr Fevs, you’ve not taken your sick days yet”….it was a completely alien concept to my dad, who’s only days off work in his lifetime was when he broke his wrist on my next door neighbours skateboard in the late 70s!!!

When I started in ‘81 I worked with colleagues who would openly say they hadn’t had taken their sick allowance..

Only time I was ever off was when I broke my collarbone when playing at Muller Rd in ‘84..

• Like 1