IGNORED

Stoney Garnett RIP

weepywall

I’m gutted to hear this news. As other have said a true Bristol City legend. His jokes were perhaps at times not PC for todays crowd.

That said the way he delivered them had me in stitches on numerous occasions.

The club should mark his passing, as others have said he’s probably city’s most recognisable fan.

Talking of fans, has anyone seen or heard anything ref Rod Stewart? Not seen him about for a while. Hope he’s ok. 

• Like 1

In honesty I thought Stoney was a poor comedian but a genuinely generous man who was a real City character and persona who will be missed by many. Given his long association with City, not just as a supporter, he deserves to be properly remembered by the Club with a fitting tribute. RIP Stoney with condolences to family and friends. 

• Like 1

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

In honesty I thought Stoney was a poor comedian but a genuinely generous man who was a real City character and persona who will be missed by many. Given his long association with City, not just as a supporter, he deserves to be properly remembered by the Club with a fitting tribute. RIP Stoney with condolences to family and friends. 

There was a time when every single time I was on a bus he seemed to be on there. And every single time he was telling somebody the "lion escaped from the zoo" joke. It's a terrible joke, but I laughed every single time I heard him telling it to yet another person. ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Olé said:

Also, whenever we have a corner in front of the Atyeo and we have everyone back, I always instantly think of Stoney storming to the front of Dolman Block A and screaming for someone to get on the halfway line. Every single time. Without fail. It stopped a few years back but mainly because we largely keep someone up, I'd like to think Stoney got his way.

Before he transferred to the Dolman he sat by us in the Williams stand and I can tell you he yelled the same thing back then on a very regular basis.

Also remember being refereed by him on several Sunday mornings back in the day.

Just like there are no “maverick” footballers now we have now lost our maverick supporter, what a guy he was. 

14 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

There was a time when every single time I was on a bus he seemed to be on there. And every single time he was telling somebody the "lion escaped from the zoo" joke. It's a terrible joke, but I laughed every single time I heard him telling it to yet another person. ?

If that's the same gag I've heard him tell often, I'll never hear it again without thinking of him.... ?

4 minutes ago, BS2 Red said:

What way did it go? Well i'm not bloody chasing it!

? That's the one, it had to be.

Bless him, he will be sorely missed. Hope the club do something for him; appreciate they can't do it for everyone but even a still picture of a red fedora on the big screen at a certain time in the match would be IMO a fitting tribute. 

Edited by Hamdon Mart
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Felt only saw him a few days ago waiting for the Bus on Gilda Parade, always gave him a toot and got a wave back.

Top bloke, first met him in one of the 4 corner pubs at Brentford as a teenager no idea who he was, but what a lovely bloke 

3 hours ago, TomF said:

Oh wow. Seeing him and his red hat walking around pubs/towards ground on match days was part of the ritual 

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Part of the Bristol City fabric for as long as I’ve been supporting City.

It will be odd not seeing that red hat, home and away.

RIP Stoney.

It was always part of the day, home or away, to look out for him in his red hat, just as I did yesterday at Bournemouth.

Always had a word when I saw him.

Really sad news, proper shame.

RIP Mr. Bristol City and condolences to his family.

(if possible, his hat should be in the future BCFC museum)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bh_red said:

Felt only saw him a few days ago waiting for the Bus on Gilda Parade, always gave him a toot and got a wave back.

Top bloke, first met him in one of the 4 corner pubs at Brentford as a teenager no idea who he was, but what a lovely bloke 

I, too. often saw him in Whitchurch, usually waiting for the 376 into town. Also caught his act in various South Bristol pubs back in the day.

However my over riding memory of him was from the 2012 Mayoral election when he made a specific point of going around as many polling stations as he could, mine included, to specifically thank the staff at the stations for all their hard work.  As many have said, a true gent.

• Like 1

Such sad news. I was in the audience at several of his 'shows' Knowle Golf Club, mainly. He was hilarious. Such a lovely person, he'd always have time to stop and chat. Worked with his brother for many years, so condolences to the family at such a sad time.