IGNORED

Pearson Out 1894 Style

gornagain

I've retyped as some parts are difficult to read and made one minor change. Apart from not knowing the difference between 2 and 4 and clearly not watching the game he is complaining about, some of what he writes could be pasted into some of the posts on here.bed1.thumb.jpg.9f8e0f0b8f6c15b1852a04030344c00e.jpg

Bristol Mercury - Friday 13 April 1894

Bedminster Association Football Club

To the Editor of the Bristol Mercury

Sir – Permit me space in your valuable paper to ventilate the grievances which I in common with many other supporters of the Bedminster Association Football Club feel. The 9th inst. witnessed the last match in the league so far as this club is concerned, and also witnessed their ignominious defeat by St. George to the extent of six goals to one. I am informed that only two of the first team were able to play, so that St. George must have rubbed their hands with glee at seeing such a rosy chance of adding two points and improving their goal average. It does not speak highly of the management of the club, nor of their desire to maintain its reputation, when they can only get four first team men to play within a radius of four miles from their own ground. Even the players themselves must have a very poor idea of their clubs prestige to allow such a thing.

Up to the time the South Bristol team were defeated by St. George in the replayed Cup tie they had done very well and their supporters looked forward to their running Warmley pretty close for the League Cup, besides having a good look in for the County Cup. Since that time, with the exception of the draw with the Saggies and the win over Mangotsfield, there has been nothing but defeats. How is this? I assert – mismanagement in the government and dissatisfaction amongst the players, also the way in which the team has been selected.

The public are not slow to find out something is wrong when an organisation from the topmast of success descends to the lower point of continuous defeat. Some of the public do not like to find fault for many reasons, but would rather go upon the supposition that things will right themselves when they have got to the worst pitch. Unfortunately I am one of those who can see that in such a case as this the only way of putting the thing right is by going to the cause of the evil, which in my opinion, as previously stated, is the government of the club. I am quite aware that Bristol South is very Conservative, and although myself a thorough Conservative, I affirm that a strong Radical policy applied here would be the best remedy. We must have an entirely new management and a complete separation from the Bedminster Cricket Club so far as the football is concerned. Let each tub stand on its own bottom, and then both players and supporters will feel more in touch with the club and its well-being. Let all the players be treated with that courtesy which must always be meted out to players of amateur organisations, and the officials see that it is carried out.

There are many gentlemen in the region of the club not members, who are quite willing to subscribe and do what they can to promote the best interests of the club financially and are at present, and I warn the committee that unless they adopt a different course they will not get “gates” of two and three thousand next season, or two and three hundred. I do not write this in any spirit of bravado, but as one who desires to see the Bedminster Club take its right place among the football organisations of the district. I am quite willing to pay any subscription, whether it be 5s or 10s 6d per annum, if the club is worked upon a sound principle.

Trusting someone more able will take up this matter, and point out the immediate necessity of making a big effort to raise the hopes and aspirations of those who and who love the Association game in Bristol South

Yours truly

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1