IGNORED

433 442

REDOXO

The Two most significant features of the first five days of the season were the substitution of Fortune against Torquay when he was clearly (certainly to me) the best player on the field and the form of Anyinsah who despite missing a very good chance in that match made a real difference when introduced in both games.....

Our players are clearly not comfortable with the much heralded 433 and the fact that this style has kept us narrow forcing long balls forward to midget strikers has added to the general malaise....

The fact is it is early days so no panicking or swearing please but clearly Brian may feel he will have to sacrifice himself on the alter of a midfield of Murray Orr Fortune Anyinsah as this looks to be our strongest midfield by far.....So who's going to tell him!!!!!!!!!!!!

Err in that midfield arent you missing a certain Mr Doherty?????

He's gotta play in my eyes although i think it should be for Orr who has failed to make an impact. Saying that i have a feeling Orr may be developing into Tins' love child!!!!!!!!

All the same 4-4-2 is definatly needed and Anyinsah or Goodfellow for that matter should be included on the wing. Whoever goes in the middle alongside doherty will do a job and that is the healthy position our squad is in. We got three options in Tins,Fortune or Orr plus Wilkshire still to come back.

Once we get the formation sorted we got the players here to win the games.

Err in that midfield arent you missing a certain Mr Doherty?????

He's gotta play in my eyes although i think it should be for Orr who has failed to make an impact. Saying that i have a feeling Orr may be developing into Tins' love child!!!!!!!!

All the same 4-4-2 is definatly needed and Anyinsah or Goodfellow for that matter should be included on the wing. Whoever goes in the middle alongside doherty will do a job and that is the healthy position our squad is in. We got three options in Tins,Fortune or Orr plus Wilkshire still to come back.

Once we get the formation sorted we got the players here to win the games.

Errr NO....You may not have noticed Doherty has looked off the pace hasn't really stamped any authority on the game and given away a penalty due to a half hearted attempt at playing the ball......I dont think he's fit....

Orr has made a decent impact and won the ball and is not afraid to shoot from range

Wilkshire will never provide the muscle power we need in midfield needed to get out of this league and is to slow to play out wide

HOW MANY OTHER PLAYERS DO WE HAVE THAT ARE WORTH £425000 IN THIS MARKET.... PNE CAN SEE THE VALUE IN FORTUNE AND A PARTNERSHIP WITH ORR IS CLEARLY OUR BEST MIDFIELD AT THIS TIME.

Guest TinmansCulturedLeftPeg
Wilkshire will never provide the muscle power we need in midfield needed to get out of this league and is to slow to play out wide

Why don't don't we just sign a weightlifter then? Your on another planet mate.

HOW MANY OTHER PLAYERS DO WE HAVE THAT ARE WORTH £425000 IN THIS MARKET....  PNE CAN SEE THE VALUE IN FORTUNE AND A PARTNERSHIP WITH ORR IS CLEARLY OUR BEST MIDFIELD AT THIS TIME.

PNE offered £150,000 for central defender Fortune....

Doherty is worth £800,000 at the very least....

Doherty has to play, simple as that. I thought he had a good game at Barnsley and I also thought that Tinnion was are best player on Saturday against Torquay. You could argue quite easily that our two best midfielders at the club are Tinnion and Doherty. The only issue I have is whether Tinnion can play & manage and I feel ultimately this will be the reason for his ommission from the side and not his lack of ability as a player.

Why don't don't we just sign a weightlifter then? Your on another planet mate.

PNE offered £150,000 for central defender Fortune....

Doherty is worth £800,000 at the very least....

Well my one Legged inter-stellar friend let me explain....We are in Coca Cola league Div One...Division 3 to most of us....

In order to escape the hell that is this Division you must create a Spine this means having strength through the middle Ergo- Coles Orr Fortune Miller then build a team around that spine Murray Anyinsah Woodman Smith this alows for either a fith man in midfield probably Doherty and a striker Lita/Heffernan or a flat 442 which means no Doherty but a back four of Smith Coles Butler Woodman....

I'm sorry this doesn't fit with the Eutopian vision of Doherty and Tinnion playing together in midfield.. but this combo does not penetrate defences and does infact promalgate a side that plays all of its football infront of the oppositions back four....This is why we did not get one single penalty last season because not only did we not get in the box enough when a ball came loose on the edge niether Tinnman Tommy Wilkshire Burnell or anybody that played in that central midfield role could should straight consistantly...This is why we bought ORR... Geddit...Tommy is a very good player but he can be leant on he cant score in the air (we would have beat Cardiff in the play off semi last season if he could) and has a worse scoring record than Ray Cashley (for the older ones among us....) Whilst Tom is worth money in the transfer market and would definately be in a five man midfield he's only worth £800,000 to someone wishing to pay it (and nobody did) I'm really sorry to say this season its get tough or die and we need to get tough so please stick your weightlifters where the sun dont shine and get real............

Yes,I like to build teams around a strong spine,but for christsake it's not as if Wilkshire is an anorexic retard,no footballers are big musclemen,football is predominantly about skill and mobility mate,not strength!!!!

Yes,I like to build teams around a strong spine,but for christsake it's not as if Wilkshire is an anorexic retard,no footballers are big musclemen,football is predominantly about skill and mobility mate,not strength!!!!

In this Division there is equal emphasis on strength and mobility and we have got to begin to get to grips with this (this is not say that Orr and Fortune aren't mobile)unfortunately Luke adds niether enough strength or mobility for us to make it out of this division and he admitted as much on his own web site "not suited to the style of play in this division" so even he is aware of this, If we get promoted it may be a different story in the next league but at this time not.....We are competing in the Third Division and strength in the middle and pace outwide is the only effective way to get out of it....we have the players to build this way as long as we dont remain married to the idea of Tommy and Brian playing in midfield as this leaves us lacking in height at dead balls in attack and defence and unfortunately goals from midfield...I'm affraid Div 3 football does not lend itself to Real Madrid Footy and that is just a fact of life down here

I'm sorry mate but that is absolutely ridiculous....why don't we just sign the World's Strongest Man then you fool....

Wilkshire's style isn't suited to the lower leagues because of the long balls bypassing technical midfield play....

Sorry mate, but if you believe Fortune had a good game against Torquay then I would have to agree that you are on another planet. He was the slowest, most cumbersome player on the pitch and a liability - which was why he had to go off.

I thought he looked good against Torquay Cynic. He was the only city player on the pitch who beat their opposing man. He is cumbersome, or seems it but has a little bit of quality that took him past his man and allowed us to attack. He actually showed good pace on numerous occasions when tracking back.

He didn't do enough on the day to have gain huge praise and increase the hype but then again none of the team did.

Guest hairyshamrock

I think what everyone is forgetting is that your fomation dictates your shape when you defend, nothing else. 4-4-2 gives you a solid shape which is easy to defend with. If you watch Arsenal (who you could argue had quite a good season...) they defend solidly in a 4-4-2, but with Henry, Pires, Viera, Bergkamp, Ljunberg and Gilberto they attack freely and fluidly. Not to mention how the full backs, especially Ashley Cole, get forward to help. Leaving you in some instances with a 5-2-3 when attacking.

And if you remember before Scott went to Reading he was pushing up more when we attacked, almost as a third, wider striker, but when we were in defence, he reverted back to wide midfield.

That is why it is not a numbers game but a matter of defence; solid defense wins titles and success, usually (before i get shot at). But it has to be mixed with the right blend going forward. You don't want a team attcking in a rigid 4-4-2, 4-3-3 or any other formation as that is predictable and isn't hard to defend against.

Sorry for sounding like a coaching manual, but my dad's a coach and it's difficult to watch football with him without picking this stuff up.

I'm sorry mate but that is absolutely ridiculous....why don't we just sign the World's Strongest Man then you fool....

Wilkshire's style isn't suited to the lower leagues because of the long balls bypassing technical midfield play....

Funny how these things get all nasty when some people are loosing an argument No one is suggesting we sign the worlds strongest man but yesterday we finnished the match with Orr Fortune Coles and Miller clearly a spine in the making...as you have just said Wilkshires style of play isn't suited to the lower leagues and so he's not suited....unfortunately that is just life down here and no amount of rattle throwing will change that...thats not say he's not a decent player but maybe he's with us a season to early!!??

Every team needs a good spine!! That is just basics!! How anyone can suggest that Tommy Doherty shouldnt be apart of it is just hilarious!! He's strong, Hard tackling, Works his socks off and is fairly good on the ball!! Id say thats just about all you need to be a solid centre mid!!

Although i rate Clayton Fortune, I wasnt overly impressed by his performance in the middle against Torquay. Every time he got the ball he wanted 6 touches before he got rid of it. He just slowed the game down and over complicated things. This is not what we need, We have a team full of pace so we need to feed these players early.

Lee Miller will get his chance next week against Swindon I'm sure, I cant see the sense in playing 2/3 forwards who are all short and quick. What is the point in telling Scott Murray to get wide and put the ball in the box if we've got no one in their capable of winning the ball in the air!?

And where exactly did this thread start getting nasty!??

Archived