IGNORED

Getting a lot harder to figure out our best XI

LondonBristolian

4 hours ago, The Bard said:

From last season I could name Liverpool's first XI.  It played together a lot. What was Man City's?    Guardiola's policy of consistently churning the starting XI with 2 maybe 3 changes each game arguably made the difference.  Change was normal for them and meant that injuries / suspensions were easily dealt with. 

This is even more the case at our level, especially when the midweek league games kick in.  Seems to me that both Martin and Williams won't be starting 2 games in 4 days.  IMO it is best to proactively rotate rather than wait for injuries and be reactive.  A manager keeps more control that way.

This was the AC Milan approach many years ago (10-15 years ago, maybe longer - Maldini / Inzaghi era).  The first proper delve into Sports Science and predicting when load was too high / about to be too high.  The players bought into it, accepting they’d miss games when they felt fit themselves but the science predicting breakdown was near.

Back to City…if Joe Williams can play Saturday / bench / Saturday, etc, and be strong to start 60-70% of games and attain the right levels of perfromance in those, that is fine by me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But Scott was very poor in midfield v Luton. He looks like he needs a rest to me playing with little break through summer not helped him I feel.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Whaaaaaaat?

Whilst I didn't think he had his best game, I wouldn't go as far to say he was poor. Gave the ball away a few times, but was always looking to get the ball forward. Especially enjoyed his nut meg by the dolman in the second half. 

12 hours ago, ORANGE500 said:

No just tell him until he manages a team with a limited budget and not the richest in their particular league with all the best players he's completely overrated.

Interesting point. Could Pep be successful on a very limited budget? A bit like F1 and the best car v best driver argument. Turns out Hamilton is still a great driver in a less good car but could Pep do as well as say Paul Warne at Rotherham on the budget that he has? I remain unconvinced. Klopp on the other hand started at Mainz, so perhaps he might have more chance.

• Like 1

On 18/08/2022 at 06:08, P'head Red said:

Whilst I didn't think he had his best game, I wouldn't go as far to say he was poor. Gave the ball away a few times, but was always looking to get the ball forward. Especially enjoyed his nut meg by the dolman in the second half. 

Didn’t think he overly stood out good or bad on Tuesday but do think that he needs to improve his pass selection if/when he inevitably makes the step up. He excellent passing range but several times on Tuesday he went for the big floating Hollywood ball, when really the ball just needed playing and keep the play moving. But I’m sure with him it will all come in time.

16 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

Didn’t think he overly stood out good or bad on Tuesday but do think that he needs to improve his pass selection if/when he inevitably makes the step up. He excellent passing range but several times on Tuesday he went for the big floating Hollywood ball, when really the ball just needed playing and keep the play moving. But I’m sure with him it will all come in time.

Despite not having his best game, he still got an assist for a beautifully weighted pass to Wells.  Anyone scouting him would notice that he sees the picture before he receives the ball.  That is rare and if an 18 year old gets carried away with the occasional Hollywood pass then so be it.  His decision making will improve.    He's no Grealish.  More like a Pirlo if you ask me.   Pity he doesn't have the hair or the ice cold temperament.

On 18/08/2022 at 00:28, Rocking Red Cyril said:

But Scott was very poor in midfield v Luton. He looks like he needs a rest to me playing with little break through summer not helped him I feel.

If that was him playing very poorly I’m excited to see him play averagely. Thought he played really well and centre mid, rather than attacking mid, looks a better long term fit for him. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, The Swan and Cemetery said:

If that was him playing very poorly I’m excited to see him play averagely. Thought he played really well and centre mid, rather than attacking mid, looks a better long term fit for him. 

I think he’s the one player that can dictate the pace of the game for us and help us control games , the central pivot so to speak (as he did for England U19s in latter half of the Euros)

Big ask for such a young player At this level,  but certainly football wise he’s mature beyond his years and is capable of that role , especially as he gains experience 

• Like 2