IGNORED

Stewards

Not posted here for a while so I may have missed information about this, but how long have the matchday stewards been preventing members of the public from walking along Marina Dolman Way and using the Raynes Road entrance to the South Stand car park because they don't have a valid ticket for the game? Happened to me about 4:30pm this afternoon - I was on my way home and I didn't have my ST with me, but there were a couple of old boys who wanted to use the carpark as a shortcut and they weren't allowed through, as were a couple of cyclists who were trying to get to Greville Smyth Park from Big John's statue.

Not the type of jobsworth behaviour you'd expect from a 'community' club is it.

I find it a bit irritating myself. It is a public walkway as far as I know. Can I not go to the sports bar without a ticket? What if I have to pick up a ticket? What if I want to buy at the ground? I show up with a city top, red sunglasses, red trainers and probably a city jumper or bobble hat. What do you think I am doing there? 

Oh well, I am sure there is a reason for it. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sinenomine said:

I don't think it is. 

It does not show up as a public right of way here. https://www.bristol.gov.uk/residents/streets-travel/public-rights-of-way-service

There are signs saying Ashton Gate Ltd permit people to pass through but access may be limited on match and event days. 

• Like 1

Winterstoke Road to Raynes Road is a public right of way.  Marina Dolman Way is a permissive right of way so they can restrict that part as they like.

They tried to stop me using the public right of way earlier this evening.  I put them right and made a complaint to the security supervisor. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

There are signs saying Ashton Gate Ltd permit people to pass through but access may be limited on match and event days. 

I can honestly say that I've never seen that before. I got asked for my ticket when I entered Marina Dolman Way at the Ashton Road end before the Cardiff game, but I was expecting that and it was about half an hour before kick off. I almost always use the Raynes Road gate to get into the car park, once again usually about 30 minutes before kick off and I know to present a ticket then. But today was the first time I've been stopped at that time on a match day while using that short cut and if that's going to be the case from now on, then at least I'll be prepared for that. BTW I saw precisely *one* Huddersfield fan at that point, an old boy wearing a blue and white striped shirt sitting on the wall by KFC.

54 minutes ago, NorthBris_Southstand said:

They've let me through there before on the bike when my brother had my ST and he was on the other side, so I think they are reasonable if you talk to them nicely. Maybe they are more protective of it because it's the players/staff parking and entrance. 

I can understand the aspect of being protective of it because it's the players/staff parking and entrance - that fits in with Nomad's information about Marina Dolman Way being a permissive right of way as well - but if there are stewards telling people that they can't access the car park from Raynes Road to get to Winterstoke Road (which appears to be a public right of way) then that's not on at all.

Anyway, off back down there in a minute (with my ST, passport, utility bill, payslip etc), COYRs ? 

• Haha 2

The stewards in that zone have always asked for tickets to be shown, every game last season too. 
I’ve never once shown mine. They ask “have you got your ticket please” and I say “yes thanks, in my pocket” and I carry on walking through. 
Next time they ask you, just carry on walking. It’s a pointless exercise. Why would I be entering the ground if I wasn’t coming to the match. Pointless. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, nickolas said:

While we are on tge bright yellow army, wtf is it with them insisting on checking tickets in the dolman?! Even at H/T i had to show it again to get back to my seat! Annoying and unneccesary. 

Maybe trying to reduce the number of South Standers coming around and sitting in more expensive seats :)

I use the raynes road access, when i go shopping.

You would be suprised, how many people use it as a cut through,

There was a steward at the raynes road gate, when rod stewart, was playing, in the day turning folk back.

I pointed, out there are laws, with public rights of way.

I dont want to talk about it he said.

By the time i got on smyth rd, i sussed out he just quoted a rod stewart song to me.

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

I use the raynes road access, when i go shopping.

You would be suprised, how many people use it as a cut through,

There was a steward at the raynes road gate, when rod stewart, was playing, in the day turning folk back.

I pointed, out there are laws, with public rights of way.

I dont want to talk about it he said.

By the time i got on smyth rd, i sussed out he just quoted a rod stewart song to me.

Thought you were gonna say he threatened you with a knife knowing that the first cut is the deepest!

Surprised at any of them doing their job. Last night, two blokes in the row in front of me walked past a steward to get to their seats openly holding pints. another bloke was so pissed he couldn't stand up and kept falling onto other people. His mate walked him to and from his seat. 

I’m never really sure what their role is. Is it one of ushering, security, safety, policing rules or something else?

I’m not even sure they know, seems to have no consistency amongst them. As mentioned above, some seem to go on a power trip and think they are law enforcement, others just ignore everything around them, be it drinking, over crowding, exit blocking etc etc etc. 

Edited by One Team

14 hours ago, Harry said:

The stewards in that zone have always asked for tickets to be shown, every game last season too. 
I’ve never once shown mine. They ask “have you got your ticket please” and I say “yes thanks, in my pocket” and I carry on walking through. 
Next time they ask you, just carry on walking. It’s a pointless exercise. Why would I be entering the ground if I wasn’t coming to the match. Pointless. 

Do you have ticket? No, I'm collecting it. Okay then go through.

What's the point? Seriously what do they add?

• Like 1

Just now, Selred said:

Do you have ticket? No, I'm collecting it. Okay then go through.

What's the point? Seriously what do they add?

Kind of related to my point above mate.

Even last night one of them stopped me at the top of the stairs entering the singing section. He said “ticket?!”. I said, “yes thank you” and carried onto into the stand. Maybe his training stopped at that and didn’t get onto lesson 2, “now ask to see their ticket”. 

Just pointless. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Surprised at any of them doing their job. Last night, two blokes in the row in front of me walked past a steward to get to their seats openly holding pints. another bloke was so pissed he couldn't stand up and kept falling onto other people. His mate walked him to and from his seat. 

Yeah it seems one extreme or the other around me too in the Lansdown.

Every game between about 5 and 15 minutes into each half you get a load of people without tickets there coming up and sitting in the nice seats behind us. It's a pain in the ass as they block everyone's view as they go up the steps and shuffle around, awkwardly trying to find somewhere to sit... not to mention I pay about £600 / year to sit in a decent seat which rankles a bit!

About 10% of the time one of the stewards will then slowly go and ask for their ticket, then kick them out disturbing everyone again - last night it happened in one block, but not the one near me so it ended up with about 30 people sitting there who weren't meant to.

4 hours ago, 2015 said:

The stewards outside the Ground are absolute jobsworths, ushering people to walk a certain way into the ground and asking for tickets. Just causing needless issues enjoying their little power trip they have.

Apart from checking bags, what else are they there for?

Why do cyclists think that its ok to ride through crowds of fans,young and old either walking around or stood in a queue at the food vans ? Why don't they see ,from a Health and Safety point of view that its stupid and can injure someone. If the stewards are told not to let them pass on those grounds then well done. If they can't get off their Push bike and Push it safely through the crowds then keep them out.