IGNORED

Nahki Nahki Nahki!!!!

robin for life

So what's happened to all the fans saying he should be sold, he's not worth his wages, he has no future at the club!

Just as well NP thought differently and Nahki never let his head drop!

Absolutely fantastic this season and proving all his doubters wrong.

His goals, assists and movement and his suitability with Conway is why we are where we are.  The striker we needed, but had all along!

All those offering to drive him to Preston in the summer, hang your heads in shame !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, robin for life said:

So what's happened to all the fans saying he should be sold, he's not worth his wages, he has no future at the club!

Just as well NP thought differently and Nahki never let his head drop!

Absolutely fantastic this season and proving all his doubters wrong.

His goals, assists and movement and his suitability with Conway is why we are where we are.  The striker we needed, but had all along!

All those offering to drive him to Preston in the summer, hang your heads in shame !

I'm sorry, but Nahki crossed the line today. And if you don't believe me ask Kal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 minutes ago, robin for life said:

Yes, but HE'S ALWAYS had it!!! We were playing him out of position and not to his strengths and giving him 5 minute cameo's. The problem was NEVER Wells, it was Bristol City not using him correctly. 

Our recruitment was the problem - we weren't recruiting to a system but clubs in the bag.

Luckily, the counter and press system Nige is implementing suites Wells' game, but I would also point out credit for Wells for going with system, improving his fitness, and most importantly his work rate.

He's one of those players whereby I feel he's happy when he's playing well and trusted, which is now the case. He's bought into the system.

• Like 2

I maintain that his signing was unnecessary, profligate, kneejerk, and made for the wrong reasons.

He's hit form, and that's good, I'm delighted for him and us. However, for his wages and amortisation cost we could have had two players of Championship quality in the side for the past two years. If we are playing to his strengths now then it's because we now have the other players to allow us to do that. When he signed we weren't doing that, and couldn't, so therefore the signing remains open to ridicule.

For me he will always be the overrated symbol of the Ashton age.

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 5

Going to be slightly controversial (or I expect a reaction)

in his recent interview he accepted that he wasn’t in the side but accepted when he did ‘he wasn’t at his best’

I wouldn’t say he was sulking but I wonder whether he was a bit disillusioned , sub consciously ‘not fully at it’

It sounded like he had a change in mind and got his head down to be at his best when he got the next opportunity

Just him , himself ?  ....conversations with Pearson ?....or maybe seeing youngsters playing in his position and His professional attitude saying....’hey’.....’hang on’......’I can do that’.....maybe just the atmosphere and enjoying playing with these youngsters ?

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

I was definitely in the sell him camp, will not lie and I was never a massive fan, even when we signed him. But, he’s been an revelation and has proved me wrong. As previous poster said, we are playing to his strengths. Great partnership with Conway and seems like a model pro. Just don’t mention covid!!

• Like 1

Have always wanted him to do well for us, just as he did whilst at QPR.

Delighted for him (and us) that we are now playing to his strengths and in turn, he’s delivering what we all know he’s capable of.

Fair play to Nige and his management team in ensuring that NW has remained engaged and committed to the cause during what must have been a really challenging time for him last season - long may it continue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Have always wanted him to do well for us, just as he did whilst at QPR.

Delighted for him (and us) that we are now playing to his strengths and in turn, he’s delivering what we all know he’s capable of.

Fair play to Nige and his management team in ensuring that NW has remained engaged and committed to the cause during what must have been a really challenging time for him last season - long may it continue.

You made a really good point. I think Nige has always been quite vocal about keeping Nahki and has always said what he brings to the club. Now we are seeing what Nahki is capable of 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Looking at his city career as a whole he is still not a good signing.  Saying ‘I told you so’ after a £7m, £25k per week striker has four good games in a row is a bit odd!

What about when he's bagged 20 plus goals this year and leads us to the Premier League, is it OK to say "I Told You So" then, because that's exactly what will happen if we stick with him and Conway and bring on Semenyo when one gets tired or doesn't fire. Plus if we rock up our defence. Wells, Conway, Weimann and Semenyo are the forward line that can finally get us to the promised land. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I maintain that his signing was unnecessary, profligate, kneejerk, and made for the wrong reasons.

He's hit form, and that's good, I'm delighted for him and us. However, for his wages and amortisation cost we could have had two players of Championship quality in the side for the past two years. If we are playing to his strengths now then it's because we now have the other players to allow us to do that. When he signed we weren't doing that, and couldn't, so therefore the signing remains open to ridicule.

Please,,

I'm out having a nice swig & your stressing me out ?..

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Looking at his city career as a whole he is still not a good signing.  Saying ‘I told you so’ after a £7m, £25k per week striker has four good games in a row is a bit odd!

£7m? I know inflation is high at present but he was nowhere near that much.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Exactly this.

But… am absolutely buzzing to see him doing so well. Think he’s been unlucky not to score a few more so pleased to see they’re starting to go in for him.

He’s been showing really quality on the ball along with passion and bags of effort and running. Can’t fault him. Well done, Nahki - long may it continue!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

“Always be the overrated symbol of the Ashton age”

Like, what?! I rate your posts but this is a bit wild.

The guy is spearheading our side. Relax a bit! 

• Like 2

I just wish he had a better song than the Marvin Elliott one. He really should have had the Kylie song tbh, something original and solid.

"Is it my imagination, we've found a new sensation, he's deadly when he's on the ball"
"He'll terrorise your defence, With his best mate Conway, They'll lead us to the promised land"
"Cause we've got Nahki Nahki, Nahki, Nahki, Nahki, We've got Nahki, Nahki Wells"
ooooohhoooo
"Yeah we've got Nahki, Nahki, We've got Nahki Nahki, We've got Nahki Nahki Wells"

(I'll get my coat)(Closet Kylie fan)(Travesty her songs don't make chants).........

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

£7m? I know inflation is high at present but he was nowhere near that much.

Sorry had a brain fart. £4.5m

7 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Yeah but it's easier to talk him down if you just make some bs up. 

Yeah I got him mixed up with Brownhill fee who went at the same time. My apologies 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

“Always be the overrated symbol of the Ashton age”

Like, what?! I rate your posts but this is a bit wild.

The guy is spearheading our side. Relax a bit! 

Thank you for the compliment. It is reciprocated with interest.

I guess my point is that when we signed him he was expensive, a poor fit for the team at the time, and in my opinion it was a status thing for Ashton to get the guy who'd scored 13 in 5 months* and was the talk of the town. He came here touted as the "20 goal a season" star.** He's been paid a reported 20k(ish) a week, and has cost us £800k a year in amortisation, so that's an approximate total cost of about £1.85m per year. 

The fact he's just about coming good now, after we've changed half the squad that he joined, paired him with a guy who was in nappies when we signed him, and is under a new manager, coaching staff, and CEO. That's what tells me his signing, at the time it was done, was ridiculous.

So yeh he's been overrated for the best part of two years. And yeh he's the definitive symbol of Ashton's mess.

I'd happily have sold him last month, and used that last year of wages and amortisation to replace him with two players.

*Or whatever it was exactly.

**Despite never achieving that in his career.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I guess my point is that when we signed him he was expensive, a poor fit for the team at the time, and in my opinion it was a status thing for Ashton to get the guy who'd scored 13 in 5 months* and was the talk of the town. He came here touted as the "20 goal a season" star.** He's been paid a reported 20k(ish) a week, and has cost us £800k a year in amortisation, so that's an approximate total cost of about £1.85m per year. 

The fact he's just about coming good now, after we've changed half the squad that he joined, paired him with a guy who was in nappies when we signed him, and is under a new manager, coaching staff, and CEO. That's what tells me his signing, at the time it was done, was ridiculous.

So yeh he's been overrated for the best part of two years. And yeh he's the definitive symbol of Ashton's mess.

I'd happily have sold him last month, and used that last year of wages and amortisation to replace him with two players.

Many will disagree , but to me the issue all along was Diedhiou and finding how to use him (I felt he was very much over lauded on here and would have moved him on 12-18 months in) as he never formed , or looked like forming any partnership or good interaction with anybody that went through the side during that period

If you remember , for a fair time leading to buying Wells Lee had ‘wanted a 9’ (To replace Diedhiou ???) and Ashton was forever on about ‘We need a 9’

Then we got misty eyed over Wells goals that season at QPR , had an opportunity to grab Wells (Probably helped by Burnley wanting Josh

I wasn’t too keen, I thought Wells was ‘ok’ but had had a stellar period , remember pondering with others how LJ intended to use Wells as for me Diedhiou had indicated that he was not suitable for a partnership

Wells is not a ‘9’ in a traditional sense (in my mind anyway)

Hes a ‘second’ striker , working with / off someone else

For me , Wells was never going to benefit from a pairing with Famara , he wasn’t a replacement for Famara , and he needed someone suitable with who to work with

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

For me , Wells was never going to benefit from a pairing with Famara , he wasn’t a replacement for Famara , and he needed someone suitable with who to work with

Yes, and as I say, that means his signing at that time was not the sensible thing.

However, that can be true simultaneously as the OP's following point is true.

1 hour ago, robin for life said:

But, personally, I don't think it's worth signing a player at a cost of nearly £2m a season because at some point we might be able to use him.

Love his goals today though, the first was delightful.

Viva Nahki.

Edited by ExiledAjax

8 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

I think we are seeing a very decent centre-forward, who is a consummate professional. 

How you deem he is overrated because we signed him and have not known how to use him is contradictory and a bit conflicting as its a Mark Ashton thing, not a Nahki Wells thing.

Bit of a ranty post if I am honest mate, which does not make much sense.

Anyway, all the best and come on you redddddsssssss.

• Flames 2

9 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I think we are seeing a very decent centre-forward, who is a consummate professional. 

How you deem he is overrated because we signed him and have not known how to use him is contradictory and a bit conflicting as its a Mark Ashton thing, not a Nahki Wells thing.

Bit of a ranty post if I am honest mate, which does not make much sense.

Anyway, all the best and come on you redddddsssssss.

I don't see the contradiction personally. He was overrated by Mark Ashton, and by some of our fans. Overrated doesn't always mean a bad player, it's a relative term. 

Apologies for the rant, like most of us I've had a drink or two.

And likewise, all the best, and honest to god I hope Wells gets 30 goals this season.

• Like 1
  • Robin 1