IGNORED

Nahki Nahki Nahki!!!!

robin for life

I do grind my teeth at these "I told you so" posts. Rest assured, there will be no head hanging in shame in the MR household. 

There's no doubt we are seeing a different Wells this season. The way we are playing suits his style, having his experience alongside Conway is a real bonus and he himself has clearly got his mojo back.

That said, he's in the last year of his contract and reportedly one of our highest earners. Also, lets not forget, until the move broke down, the club were more than happy to let him go in the summer. 

The big question is what happens when we get to January. Will we offer him a contract extension? Will his upsurge in performance tempt another club to make an offer or will we get what we can from him on the pitch and wave him off in the summer of 2023?

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

I maintain that his signing was unnecessary, profligate, kneejerk, and made for the wrong reasons.

He's hit form, and that's good, I'm delighted for him and us. However, for his wages and amortisation cost we could have had two players of Championship quality in the side for the past two years. If we are playing to his strengths now then it's because we now have the other players to allow us to do that. When he signed we weren't doing that, and couldn't, so therefore the signing remains open to ridicule.

For me he will always be the overrated symbol of the Ashton age.

And there's not a single thing he can do about it? Nice

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Looking at his city career as a whole he is still not a good signing.  Saying ‘I told you so’ after a £7m, £25k per week striker has four good games in a row is a bit odd!

What about what he has done behind the scenes with the youngsters, and Conway in particular? Does none of that count? 

I'd say the amount of times Pearson has openly said he wanted to keep him regardless of his high wages, reports of what he does with the youngsters, how professional he was, he has certainly paid part of his fee back. 

There is no way he has been a total failure, and I know that isn't what you are saying here. But he should take some deserved credit helping bring on some of the youngsters, and how professional he has been in the U23s with his partnership with Conway.

It also isn't his fault how much we paid for him and his wage.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

9 minutes ago, TheReds said:

What about what he has done behind the scenes with the youngsters, and Conway in particular? Does none of that count? 

I'd say the amount of times Pearson has openly said he wanted to keep him regardless of his high wages, reports of what he does with the youngsters, how professional he was, he has certainly paid part of his fee back. 

There is no way he has been a total failure, and I know that isn't what you are saying here. But he should take some deserved credit helping bring on some of the youngsters, and how professional he has been in the U23s with his partnership with Conway.

I agree he deserves credit and no he hasn’t been a total failure. All I was saying was he hasn’t been a rip roaring success so a ‘I told you so thread’ seems a bit odd. That’s all I’m saying really 

• Like 2

It's a funny old game isn't it? 

At the end of last season, I thought our front 3 was one of the best in the league (Martin, Semenyo and Weimann). 

Fast forward to the start of this season, and two members of last season's trio (Semenyo and Martin) are on the bench, whilst we have a wealth of options who are all contributing with goals and assists.

Credit to every single one of them. All playing their part, and all seem capable of partnering eachother. 

Really feels that something special is happening. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Midlands Robin said:

I do grind my teeth at these "I told you so" posts. Rest assured, there will be no head hanging in shame in the MR household. 

There's no doubt we are seeing a different Wells this season. The way we are playing suits his style, having his experience alongside Conway is a real bonus and he himself has clearly got his mojo back.

That said, he's in the last year of his contract and reportedly one of our highest earners. Also, lets not forget, until the move broke down, the club were more than happy to let him go in the summer. 

The big question is what happens when we get to January. Will we offer him a contract extension? Will his upsurge in performance tempt another club to make an offer or will we get what we can from him on the pitch and wave him off in the summer of 2023?

What move was that? 

Anyhow what had happened is the law of unintended consequences. Wells wanted to play. So he played in the u21s with Conway. We are reaping the reward of the guys diligence and will to win. As the post earlier said ConwAy and Wells are a team and right now I wouldn’t bet against a contract extension. The bloke looks like he has loads of running in him, so I wouldn’t be concerned about age. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, robin for life said:

Yes, but HE'S ALWAYS had it!!! We were playing him out of position and not to his strengths and giving him 5 minute cameo's. The problem was NEVER Wells, it was Bristol City not using him correctly. 

All that, and he never moaned.

It almost brings a tear to my eye.

Seriously, though, it does seem this is the first time he has been played in his favourite (best?) position, and he appears to be revelling in it, much to our collective delight.

Always said that if you play him in his best position, in the right formation with the right players around him, he will score you goals.

Still very early on this season, but a very, very promising partnership starting to really gel between him and Conway. 

Also still have Semenyo and Wiemann chipping in with goals/assists as well.

Whilst we also look better at the back, sometimes the old saying "the best form of defence is attack" could also apply to us. We will concede goals,  especially with how we're currently playing, but if we continue to outscore our opponents, then we'll finish pretty high up the table.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Going to be slightly controversial (or I expect a reaction)

in his recent interview he accepted that he wasn’t in the side but accepted when he did ‘he wasn’t at his best’

I wouldn’t say he was sulking but I wonder whether he was a bit disillusioned , sub consciously ‘not fully at it’

It sounded like he had a change in mind and got his head down to be at his best when he got the next opportunity

Just him , himself ?  ....conversations with Pearson ?....or maybe seeing youngsters playing in his position and His professional attitude saying....’hey’.....’hang on’......’I can do that’.....maybe just the atmosphere and enjoying playing with these youngsters ?

I always felt that when he signed he was happy at QPR and loath to leave.

I also think that when he got here LJ didn't quite what to do with him and that the way we then set up just didn't suite his game 

As a result I got the feeling that NW didn't really want to be here but was happy to pick up a wage. 

It could well be the case that Pearson's mantra about players wanting to be on the bus has forced Nahki to make a decision and that he likes what Pearson is doing and wants to be part of it, has kept a positive attitude and his performances are showing the result 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, TheReds said:

and it isn't his fault that we haven't till now played to his strengths. Also Tommy in a recent interview on Radio Bristol when he was being praised for his form he was emphasising how much Nahki had been helping him.  

• Like 3

Haven't read this whole thread but you've got to say fair play to Nahki, Pearson spoke about it in his post match interview..for a second I thought he was going to massively big him up but then he restrained himself.

Nahki's done exactly what any fan or manager could ask of him. Stayed focused and didn't let his ego get the better of him. The fact that he's such a positive influence on Tommy and probably the whole dressing room is huge.

Obviously we're not going to storm this league but this team spirit does remind me of our last glorious season. Everyone playing their part.

:dancing2:

37 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Wells has upped his game . He is working hard and smart . This is not a Wells of before . He has bought into what the team wants and has raised his level . Well done that man . 

I don’t accept this at all. His attitude and effort have always been fine. He is a decent striker we have not used, or treated, very well.

There have really been different arguments in the thread (and previously)

1 should we have bought him/paid what we did if we weren’t set up to use him properly. Well no. In that sense he was a poor buy - but he wasn’t at fault.

2 is he a sub par player who has been lazy and with a poor attitude? No. See above.

• Like 3

Fair play to him as the last 2 seasons must have been so frustrating for him. Usually out of position or given 10 mins from the bench but he kept his mouth shut and kept himself in peak condition where in reality he had every right to complain. In my view truth is that we always had a10-15 goal minimum Championship player on the books.

Don't forget also in that season where our treatment room must have resembled the London Dungeon he played in pretty much every game usually out of position and from the bench. 

At this point in time I'll even forgive him the Antivax nonsense he used to post! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

I maintain that his signing was unnecessary, profligate, kneejerk, and made for the wrong reasons.

He's hit form, and that's good, I'm delighted for him and us. However, for his wages and amortisation cost we could have had two players of Championship quality in the side for the past two years. If we are playing to his strengths now then it's because we now have the other players to allow us to do that. When he signed we weren't doing that, and couldn't, so therefore the signing remains open to ridicule.

For me he will always be the overrated symbol of the Ashton age.

I'd sooner use the likes of Palmer as the adage of the MA era.

Overrated, lazy, huge wages, stupid fee, for a position that was simply not needed.

Edited by Fuber
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Looking at his city career as a whole he is still not a good signing.  Saying ‘I told you so’ after a £7m, £25k per week striker has four good games in a row is a bit odd!

Has he ever played 4 full games in a row? when you are a bit part player knowing the slightest mistake or not getting a goal will mean you are banished to the reserves must surely affect you, the confidence being shown in him by the management appears to have been rewarded with him becoming the player he was at say QPR which was the reason we signed him in the first place. I'm a firm believer in that football is played almost as much in the head as it is on grass. 

Just now, billywedlock said:

I have not mentioned his attitude . His approach to games is vastly different , unlike his past . Full credit to him. His attitude has been excellent but he now is demonstrating a very different delivery . You are talking rubbish and inventing a commentary not stated . Wells has raised and modified his game . He is now at the races . 

Agree with you Billy , he’s ‘upped a gear’ and what I was suggesting

He wasn’t lazy or disruptive , and all the indicators are he’s been great with TC & Co

But he’s realised , under NP , if he wanted a shirt he had to take his chance when it came -

He said do himself 

Hes ‘ramped it up’ and done exactly that 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robin for life said:

So what's happened to all the fans saying he should be sold, he's not worth his wages, he has no future at the club!

Just as well NP thought differently and Nahki never let his head drop!

Absolutely fantastic this season and proving all his doubters wrong.

His goals, assists and movement and his suitability with Conway is why we are where we are.  The striker we needed, but had all along!

All those offering to drive him to Preston in the summer, hang your heads in shame !

So you had to have a snide remark to start your post off(I’m not one)after a great away win,I’m not sure what the point scoring is on here but it obviously rocks some peoples boat and is living in your head rent free,this forum is getting a joke when after a away win that is your post 

6 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Agree with you Billy , he’s ‘upped a gear’ and what I was suggesting

He wasn’t lazy or disruptive , and all the indicators are he’s been great with TC & Co

But he’s realised , under NP , if he wanted a shirt he had to take his chance when it came -

He said do himself 

Hes ‘ramped it up’ and done exactly that 

He’s upped a gear because the team has. He now fits the tempo and style of play of the team. He somehow looked disjointed last season (not necessarily his fault) with how we were set up. Sometimes it’s was so slow! He’s now been allowed to flourish.

I felt for him last season. That was like a ‘holding’ season…waiting for the right time etc for TC etc to break through.

• Robin 1

9 hours ago, The dastardly red said:

And there's not a single thing he can do about it? Nice

I've not criticised the guy himself though. Others have, but I don't think he's been lazy or disinterested.

My issue is that he shouldn't be here in the first place, and I think that for his cost we could do better. You're correct that this is not his fault.

He's playing, and he's playing well. The £ are on the pitch. Maybe I should STFU and be happy about that. 

However, I hope we never again sign someone as a top earner, who costs us £2m a season, and then have to wait 2 seasons to finally figure out how to get him performing.

• Like 1

Thought his short interview was good on Wednesday. Acknowledged that it's been tough and he's had to get his head down and owes fans performances. Thought he came across well and ultimately he can't control the stupid money that has been thrown around at this level. 

Hope he can continue this form. 

• Like 2

I'll admit during the summer I thought if we get in a decent bid for him I wouldn't be too sad if he left.

Model professional by all accounts off the pitch, hasn't thrown his toys out of the pram because he hasn't been playing. Playing in the u23's last season and has really helped the youngsters on the training pitch.

He really has taken his opportunity this season (admittedly he's being played as a striker through the middle instead of out wide like LJ did with him) and he offers us something different to the other 4 strikers, I'm glad he didn't leave in the summer.

Always thought Wells had something about him and could make a positive contribution to the team. 

What I did find interesting, and very telling, was his short Twitter message post-match about playing in a ‘TEAM’ (he capitalised the word). 

Couldn’t agree with him more. We have a Manager, at last, who recognises the value of a team! More importantly is actually building a TEAM.

YAY!

He could have added ‘PARTNERSHIPS’ too, something many have been banging the drum on ever since Cotts left …. and we have a Manager that recognises the importance of them too! Joy of joys, not least the Conway, Wells, Weimann, Semenyo quad… but also the midfield and defensive units taking shape. 

I didn’t join the ‘Pearson Out’ camp early in the Season, but did feel it was time for him with his coaching staff to start delivering. I think they are clearly having an positive impact now.

Early days, and as we know with City things can rapidly go pear-shaped, but the omens (and strategy) look good. Whether by accident (Martin being rested and Wells stepping up which changed our entire dynamic) or, hopefully design (Pearson realised Wells was ready and worked in a high press team with Conway), sustainable change is happening. 

Happy days. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

I just wish some commentators would get his name right, on BBC Points West, news item, Thursday morning, they called him Nikki Wells, the same on the Football League Show, Nikki, his name is Nahki, , 

Think ‘his’ song should now be adapted to ‘Nikki, Nahki Wells’ in recognition of the quality of broadcasting researchers throughout the UK. 

• Haha 1