IGNORED

Happy memories

phantom

• Admin

I was searching for something under my bed this evening (a signed Ricky Gervais programme, typically I couldn't find it) but came across these old City programmes. 

(Also lots of newspaper cuttings when I used to write match reports for WSM in the local papers.) 

I was thinking what a shame it is that those going to games now won't be able to look back on match day programmes as we don't produce them anymore. 

Anyway these below are all before my time watching City (I started January 1987), I hoped sharing these would bring back great memories for those that went to these games but also show a different generation how our club once was 

20220905_214436.jpg

20220905_214432.jpg

20220905_214426.jpg

20220905_213906.jpg

20220905_213859.jpg

20220905_213855.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

I’ve got loads of City programmes dating from the 50s, when my dad started going to games. They are fascinating. And the ones from the 80s, when I started going to AG, make me feel very nostalgic. I always got a programme when I went to away games (I followed City away very regularly in the late 90s and first 5 years of the 2000s) and they bring back loads of memories. Another aspect of football that has gone. 

• Robin 5

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I was searching for something under my bed this evening (a signed Ricky Gervais programme, typically I couldn't find it) but came across these old City programmes. 

(Also lots of newspaper cuttings when I used to write match reports for WSM in the local papers.) 

I was thinking what a shame it is that those going to games now won't be able to look back on match day programmes as we don't produce them anymore. 

Anyway these below are all before my time watching City (I started January 1987), I hoped sharing these would bring back great memories for those that went to these games but also show a different generation how our club once was 

20220905_214436.jpg

20220905_214432.jpg

20220905_214426.jpg

20220905_213906.jpg

20220905_213859.jpg

20220905_213855.jpg

Used to love the cover of #3..........................Brian Clark in full cry  ! Still think it's one of the best stylized covers we've had , alongside the next seasons effort of Quig scoring the winner against Wolves in the mud !

Edited by slartibartfast
  • Like 1
  • Robin 1

Some of those almost sent an electric shock down the spine - The Leeds & Liverpool FA cup 74 ones particularly

On a side note , and I was there, but I see it has the Leeds Kick Off at 2.30pm - , Liverpool 3pm -  I cant remember the Leeds KO time ,  and can only assume it was in the hope of not using floodlights as light went ?  , due to the power crisis ?

Can anyone remember ?

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Robin 1

8 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Some of those almost sent an electric shock down the spine - The Leeds & Liverpool FA cup 74 ones particularly

On a side note , and I was there, but I see it has the Leeds Kick Off at 2.30pm - , Liverpool 3pm -  I cant remember the Leeds KO time ,  and can only assume it was in the hope of not using floodlights as light went ?  , due to the power crisis ?

Can anyone remember ?

Yes the 3 day week was in place at the time and we used to get a list if times when the power would go off. I remember listening for an update on the score after a day out with my mum and dad, so presumably he was not working either. My guess is that Elland Road was due an outage that evening.

I worked with a Leeds fan who remembered the game and the 5 mile miserable :) walk home because there were no buses. 

Edited by Port Said Red

10 hours ago, phantom said:

20220905_214436.jpg

20220905_214432.jpg

20220905_214426.jpg

20220905_213906.jpg

20220905_213859.jpg

20220905_213855.jpg

As a kid I used to love collecting programs, still got the first two, suppose it was before I could go to the pub before a game, although got served in the Supporters Club bar from 16!

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

Yes the 3 day week was in place at the time and we used to get a list if times when the power would go off. I remember listening for an update on the score after a day out with my mum and dad, so presumably he was not working either. My guess is that Elland Road was due an outage that evening.

I worked with a Leeds fan who remembered the game and the 5 mile miserable :) walk home because there were no buses. 

Yes, the Leeds replay was a Tuesday afternoon definitely due to the power cuts

But I was referring to the first game at AG on a Saturday and just noted the KO time, which I don’t remember 

It can only be for the same reason 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes, the Leeds replay was a Tuesday afternoon definitely due to the power cuts

But I was referring to the first game at AG on a Saturday and just noted the KO time, which I don’t remember 

It can only be for the same reason 

I don’t remember that unusual kick off time either, which I guess was to clear the ground whilst still natural light - sunset was half five, which I (sadly) just looked up! ?

10 hours ago, phantom said:

20220905_214436.jpg

20220905_214432.jpg

20220905_214426.jpg

20220905_213906.jpg

20220905_213859.jpg

20220905_213855.jpg

No programmes unfortunately but I still have the tickets for the first two cup games.

• Robin 1

12 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Used to love the cover of #3..........................Brian Clark in full cry  ! Still think it's one of the best stylized covers we've had , alongside the next seasons effort of Quig scoring the winner against Wolves in the mud !

Slarti,was the Atyeo testimonial the game when the World Cup was paraded around Ashton Gate before the game?

Remember the old prog/City shop behind Williams Stand back in the day when the supporters club was upstairs in Williams entering on corner, then up stairs to a small bar and TV.

No doubt things have moved on since then.

Miss the pre match pub crawl around the ground with 5 or 6 within a stones throw, was part of matchday back when I lived in Bristol, great days.....I think.....cant remember most of them....which is why used to get progs to remember I was there.:drunk2:

8 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Certainly was, didn't see it meself as we got in a bit late, 16k there ,I believe .

I was knee high but recall going with my dad and uncle but rather than the Jules Rimet I was told to focus on the 'best player on the park'. Not one of those involved in the World Cup rather an Atyeo type goalscoring machine who led the line for Leeds and set them on the road to glory. Cant for the life of me remember his name but think he was a Scot. Could be wrong but whilst I recall Jackie Charlton playing i think a young Norman Hunter might also have been there.

15 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

I was knee high but recall going with my dad and uncle but rather than the Jules Rimet I was told to focus on the 'best player on the park'. Not one of those involved in the World Cup rather an Atyeo type goalscoring machine who led the line for Leeds and set them on the road to glory. Cant for the life of me remember his name but think he was a Scot. Could be wrong but whilst I recall Jackie Charlton playing i think a young Norman Hunter might also have been there.

I remember at half time they brought a lot of youngsters on, the one that stood out (and tore us a new one) was a young Jimmy Greenhoff !

1 minute ago, slartibartfast said:

I remember at half time they brought a lot of youngsters on, the one that stood out (and tore us a new one) was a young Jimmy Greenhoff !

No, not him. In my mind he was an old man (aka no older than 25,) Brillianteened barnet (aka Jantzen), played with swagger and arrogance. May well have been their captain at the time. 

7 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Jim Storrie?

• Like 1