IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I’m not surprised at all.  It’s the kind of decision making made by people frightened to do something that would be the done thing in yesteryear.  It’s 2022 (not aimed at you), we are in a financial climate where businesses and fans will be impacted by a decision that didn’t need to be made.

Strong leadership would have been to go ballsy with “games are on as planned, every fan has the opportunity to honour her in their own way by going or staying at home or whatever.  We recognise the impact of cancelling on fans and businesses and therefore leave it up to choice”.

This absolutely Dave

For me , more than the finances etc , it’s about people getting some enjoyment and togetherness for a few hours , and for many , for those hours feeling better about life and relief from  the day to day stresses and problems

The very sort of thing that is needed , not an enforced sombre mood 

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

You tell that to the thousands of people who use sport as an escape from reality and mental health problems. A death of a person should not lead to the whole country coming to a complete halt and nor do I think the Queen would have wanted this. I absolutely despair with this Country sometimes

It's only one game 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Anecdotally nobody I know is so not sure ‘vast majority’ is accurate 

Fair enough, I think it is, but accept that's not the case among your associates.

I was answering DaveFevs who stated that the Queen's death 'only genuinely affects a small number of people.'

I'm certain as I can be that is far from the case.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Well that’s utterly ridiculous. And not something I think the Queen would have wanted.

Unusually my son’s game is on Monday evening, so perhaps it’ll be on!

Just heard my son’s U12 game is off despite it being on Monday.

I have huge respect for the Queen but that’s an absolute joke. It’s the highlight of his week, his chief form of exercise, and it will serve no positive purpose in his life to not play this weekend. If anything it’ll create resentment towards the institution.

Absolute nonsense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Some of the reactions on here from posters I’ve previously always respected is frankly shocking and really saddens me.

Absolutely typifies the sense of entitlement these days.  We have just lost the country’s figurehead who has gained worldeide respect and given over 70 years of dedicated service to her country and citizens and all they can bleat about is having a game of football delayed.

Heaven help us if we ever had to face a war again, because we’d be ****** with this bunch of whingers!!!

Er, is the self entitlement not actually from the ones expecting the country to grind to a halt so they can mourn?

Many of us feel some sadness because someone has died, but want life to continue. It's bizarre that to you that means people would be worse in a war?! What an odd equivalence to make. Pretty sure there's a fair amount of death in a war and you just have to get on with it.

Bizarre post!

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IAmNick said:

Er, is the self entitlement not actually from the ones expecting the country to grind to a halt so they can morne?

Many of us feel some sadness because someone has died, but want life to continue. It's bizarre that to you that means people would be worse in a war?! What an odd equivalence to make. Pretty sure there's a fair amount of death in a war and you just have to get on with it.

Bizarre post!

Totally agree

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Anecdotal evidence isn't extrapolation though.

I did key word searches on FB and last night, onky 10 out of just shy of 270 posted anything at all on it, and 10 was an upper estimate. Not saying there was anything unpleasant, but most did not mark it at all.

I suggest that's because so many were contemplative yesterday, and still are today

6 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Some of the reactions on here from posters I’ve previously always respected is frankly shocking and really saddens me.

Absolutely typifies the sense of entitlement these days.  We have just lost the country’s figurehead who has gained worldeide respect and given over 70 years of dedicated service to her country and citizens and all they can bleat about is having a game of football delayed.

Heaven help us if we ever had to face a war again, because we’d be ****** with this bunch of whingers!!!

Owners have taken it upon themselves to cancel football this weekend not the Royal Family, not the government and not the fans. We are being forced to mourn not celebrate a 96 year old life!

Football has simply made this all about them 

7 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Apparently we cannot even cope with kids playing football,  having swimming lessons or opening a playground.  How will we cope at war?!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I suggest that's because so many were contemplative yesterday, and still are today

Maybe although on Twitter it's a very different story, reactions were instant and spontaneous. A fair point though and one I'll keep half an eye on, out of interest more than anything.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, I’m not surprised at all.  It’s the kind of decision making made by people frightened to do something that would be the done thing in yesteryear.  It’s 2022 (not aimed at you), we are in a financial climate where businesses and fans will be impacted by a decision that didn’t need to be made.

Strong leadership would have been to go ballsy with “games are on as planned, every fan has the opportunity to honour her in their own way by going or staying at home or whatever.  We recognise the impact of cancelling on fans and businesses and therefore leave it up to choice”.

As a nation that has lived through the mental health impacts of Covid for the majority of the last 30 months, the psychological benefits of watching sport and its sense of community, even during a time of national mourning, should have prevented postponements. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

It’s entirely possible to have huge respect for the Queen, and to even feel emotion about her passing, while also believing that cancelling sporting events at all levels - including youth - is a disproportionate and unnecessary reaction.

This will cost individuals and businesses thousands at a time when people can least afford it. That doesn’t suddenly cease to matter because the head of state has died. And I also don’t think it’s something she’d have wanted.

Edited by ChippenhamRed
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Logical-City said:

Owners have taken it upon themselves to cancel football this weekend not the Royal Family, not the government and not the fans. We are being forced to mourn not celebrate a 96 year old life!

Football has simply made this all about them 

Rather than calling it mourning, I’d call it a mark of respect.  

Is missing 22 people kicking a bag of wind around a football field that big a deal really??

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

Spot on

• Like 1
  • Haha 1