IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think the reactions on here have been fairly measured really. Aside from a bit of silliness earlier in the thread, people seems to be discussing and debating in a mature way. 

The issue I have personally is the symbolism of it - fine for the plebs to work, but for some reason football must stop. Just seems disproportionate and unfair. 

I don't think it's that. It's more symbolic really, as sport and football in particular is such a big deal. Someone earlier mentioned that it wasn't fair on 18 year olds flipping burgers. Well, chances are that if they were given time off, they wouldn't get paid

Just now, AshtonGreat said:

I don't think it's that. It's more symbolic really, as sport and football in particular is such a big deal. Someone earlier mentioned that it wasn't fair on 18 year olds flipping burgers. Well, chances are that if they were given time off, they wouldn't get paid

So football and football fans lose because it's popular?

**** that logic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

The Rugby decision makes a mockery of it. A fairly sweeping generalisation but I’d dare say there’s more likely to be ardent monarchists in the Rugby crowd than the football. 

The football authorities were always going to get stick whatever they decided. If they'd gone ahead what would have happened if some officials and/or players had withdrawn themselves as they weren't comfortable with it, some fans wouldn't have attended and there would also be the chance of inappropriate chanting, in other words a complete minefield. They took the safer option 

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

I'm curious to know your solution then. If half the people wanted it to go ahead and half the people didn't, what's the answer? In my view, it comes down to what the organisers want to do, and they've made their decision

Do you mean half the EFL did and half the EFL didn’t?  If so, then their constitution will say what happens when a majority isn’t reached…and they go with that.  That’s effectively what they’ve done, they’ve met, they’ve reached a decision, and we are bound by it.  I’ve no problem with the process.

I can still think it’s the wrong decision though.

5 minutes ago, !james said:

Agree with a lot of what you say Dave but the flip side of it is that it is a massive deal for a lot of the country, just because Joe Bloggs in the street isn't extremely upset doesn't mean that he can speak for others. Respect goes both ways. 

At the end of the day the decision was always going to be made at the highest level and its filtered down from the Premier League via the FA.

What none of now is how many think it’s a big deal and how many of us don’t.  I’m not trying to speak for others, I’m expressing my opinion.  I do respect others opinions, but I do get a bit pissy that when respecting others opinions they feel they can say my opinion is wrong or invalid.

The decision wasn’t made at the highest level though.  DCMS said games could continue this weekend, although on state funeral day it would likely be different.

1 minute ago, ashton_fan said:

The football authorities were always going to get stick whatever they decided. If they'd gone ahead what would have happened if some officials and/or players had withdrawn themselves as they weren't comfortable with it, some fans wouldn't have attended and there would also be the chance of inappropriate chanting, in other words a complete minefield. They took the safer option 

You are right and now the Rugby Authorities are going to come under fire for playing on.

2 minutes ago, Super said:

Is that matches though? Can they still have training?

Under the guidance, technically it’s no fixtures. However, we have been advised by venues that it’s also not appropriate to train - my sons GK coaching has been cancelled tonight.

Ultimately there are people who feel this is the right decision and you can’t rule out doing a small sided game and being told you’re disrespectful for doing so.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bearded_red said:

Fair play, if there was any doubt how absurd it is, a rugby game taking place at Ashton Gate when City should be playing sums it up.

Ashton Gate Stadium staff were given the opportunity to show their respect and mourn Her Majesty by taking the day off for all of 25 minutes before being told they were no longer able to.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Chicken George said:

My wife and I were planning on having sex this weekend for the first time in a couple of years. But I’ve called it off now as a mark of respect. 

Bugger. 
She’s just found out the rugby is still on. 
Now she wants role play instead. 
She wants me to wear flared jeans, brown Clarkes shoes, drink 15 pints of Guinness and take her up the backside! 
Make it make sense! 

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Do you mean half the EFL did and half the EFL didn’t?  If so, then their constitution will say what happens when a majority isn’t reached…and they go with that.  That’s effectively what they’ve done, they’ve met, they’ve reached a decision, and we are bound by it.  I’ve no problem with the process.

I can still think it’s the wrong decision though.

What none of now is how many think it’s a big deal and how many of us don’t.  I’m not trying to speak for others, I’m expressing my opinion.  I do respect others opinions, but I do get a bit pissy that when respecting others opinions they feel they can say my opinion is wrong or invalid.

The decision wasn’t made at the highest level though.  DCMS said games could continue this weekend, although on state funeral day it would likely be different.

Well, I was talking about individuals really. If half City fans felt it right to postpone the game and half were up in arms about it. You're never going to please everyone

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, lenred said:

Horse racing - the sport Her Majesty loved the most by far - is back from Sunday.   Makes a mockery of the football decision imho. 

There will be lots of Express and Mail journalists there who will have loved to have been sharpening their pencils to attack the football authorities for allowing the 'masses' to enjoy themselves and not show due deference over the weekend. 

I was saddened by the Queens death. I recognise her life of service and do feel a sense of loss. This cancellation just feels like performance art rather than based on the facts of the situation. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Not really relevant. If it’s disrespectful for people to gather at Ashton Gate to watch football, it’s disrespectful for them to gather and watch Rugby. 

I agree & just makes the decision to move the Rugby to tomorrow even weirder and impossible to understand