IGNORED

All Matches Postponed Until At Least 12/9/22

BUTOR

1 minute ago, billywedlock said:

I am personally very sad at the passing of the Queen , for a multiple of reasons that are personal and not for a forum. However , outside of her state funeral, when the country can choose to pay their respect or not, cancelling sporting events this weekend seems to me to be against everything she would have wanted. When Phillip died he was quite clear whilst living that he did not want a big fuss. The Queen was equally stoic and pragmatic, and was very much of the stiff upper lip , carry on as normal. That is what I feel we should be doing. 

I wonder if the Queen requested that when she dies, all of the BBC newsreaders have to talk in a slow somber voice all day and definitely need to look sad and can’t smile?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Well, I was talking about individuals really. If half City fans felt it right to postpone the game and half were up in arms about it. You're never going to please everyone

No, you’re right, you’ll never please everyone.  But I guess my point of view is that you can let people choose.  For some, being part of half a crowd (in your 50:50 scenario) and paying respects is as equally respectful as someone else’s alternative option, whatever that might be.

Decisions made in the interest of safety, e.g. next weekend policing constraints, snow, covid, etc, I am totally behind btw.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s not about entitlement, that implies it’s because it’s for our own self-gain….it’s more about thinking about others than myself - from fans, business out of pocket to those who use the match as some form of well-being.  The choice to honour the Queen has been decided for us.  UKParkRun have just announced they will be continuing because they see how being around others can be of benefit to people. Well done them imho, but I expect they’ll get a barrage of abuse from those who think it’s “dissing our queen”, etc.

Yes, matches get postponed for weather, and businesses suffer as a result, even if it’s just short term Cashflow (that underplays how important Cashflow is to a small business, any business).  The decision made no reference to that side of the decision.

The parallel with war is crass in a way.  Heaven help us if we do face a war again, the likely impact of that is likely to be more (and more widely felt)  than the death of one person, our queen.

Hopefully a lot of the comments on here have been aimed at the football authorities, but I’ve seen some pretty distasteful stuff from some people with an obvious anti-royal agenda. 

The point is, there isn’t a directive that everything has to be cancelled, but football has chosen to take that route and I can live with that in the very short term.

It really doesn’t feel that big a deal to justify some of the reactions on here.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jeez said:

I agree & just makes the decision to move the Rugby to tomorrow even weirder and impossible to understand 

Two things:

Risk. Football fans reputations are there for a reason, as are egg-chasers. We reap what we sow.

Resource: could be the A&S contingents start getting shipped out/deployed en masse from Sunday. It'll be in the plan. Maybe Eggers don't require all the horses football fans do 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, you’re right, you’ll never please everyone.  But I guess my point of view is that you can let people choose.  For some, being part of half a crowd (in your 50:50 scenario) and paying respects is as equally respectful as someone else’s alternative option, whatever that might be.

Decisions made in the interest of safety, e.g. next weekend policing constraints, snow, covid, etc, I am totally behind btw.

That's a fair enough point of view Dave. I'm divided really - in some ways I think it would've been amiss to play matches tomorrow, but in other ways I think the postponements could've been restricted to the funeral weekend. As a football fan, I'm disappointed there won't be any this weekend (I also hate international breaks!), but I'm not surprised or annoyed.

5 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think it seems the correct decision really, today is the first day of mourning really, it’s all fresh etc etc but back to normal tomorrow.  The EFL decision makes the RFU look wrong when I think they are being more sensible.

Fair comment 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicken George said:

My wife and I were planning on having sex this weekend for the first time in a couple of years. But I’ve called it off now as a mark of respect. 

I told Mrs Downend that I was postponing decorating the kitchen until after the queen's funeral, as a mark of respect.

In response, Mrs Downend told me that she is postponing sex until after Charles III's funeral, in anticipation and to get the respect in early. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

with an obvious anti-royal agenda. 

Don't wish them ill or anything but there's nothing that makes being pro Royal mandatory.

Queen did a pretty good job and was a constant but a heavily reformed or even gradual winding down of monarchy is a perfectly valid position to take.

4 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

The point is, there isn’t a directive that everything has to be cancelled, but football has chosen to take that route and I can live with that in the very short term.

Football took the decision, rugby surprisingly has albeit delayed played on! Role reversal there.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

For me, yes.  It’s my escape, it’s my father / son time.  Yes, I can do something else, but I don’t think we all had to be held to the same decision.

in response…Is the queen passing away at 96 that big a deal really?

For me, nope.

For others, yes.  I respect your thoughts on this, but you don’t seem to think that others can react and fee, very differently.

From a personal perspective as a ST holder, I can live with one match being delayed, without having a hissy fit like some are.

If we’re still having this discussion this time next week and football hasn’t re-started, then I’ll be in complete agreement with you Dave.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Two things:

Risk. Football fans reputations are there for a reason, as are egg-chasers. We reap what we sow.

Resource: could be the A&S contingents start getting shipped out/deployed en masse from Sunday. It'll be in the plan. Maybe Eggers don't require all the horses football fans do 

Preston is a pretty low risk game, in fact increasing numbers of games have or have been moving towards a bare minimum of police presence in recent years, unsure if this has changed post Covid.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

In the greatest respect BrizzleRed, I imagine you're not on a zero hour contract on the poverty line. Minimum wage employees of Football clubs are unlikely to be paid for this weekend now, money they desperately need. 

Same for local businesses, a lot rely on Footballl fans to keep their income going. I imagine local pubs, restaurants, burger vans etc stocked up this week expecting a double header. There will be a lot of booze and food going to waste, plus now staff will be told they aren't needed tonight.

All during a cost of living crisis. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 2

19 minutes ago, cityexile said:

There will be lots of Express and Mail journalists there who will have loved to have been sharpening their pencils to attack the football authorities for allowing the 'masses' to enjoy themselves and not show due deference over the weekend. 

I was saddened by the Queens death. I recognise her life of service and do feel a sense of loss. This cancellation just feels like performance art rather than based on the facts of the situation. 

Completely agree.  Yet again we are beholden to what a small yet vocal section of society want.   I’m sure Her Majesty herself would have wanted the sporting calendar to continue. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Preston is a pretty low risk game, in fact increasing numbers of games have or have been moving towards a bare minimum of police presence.

That's a call for police and is not so simple to predict. Some of the biggest offs I've seen in recent years have been at games one wouldn't necessary have predicted (given they're mostly pre-arranged affairs.) They're policing whole journeys, not just the streets around BS3. That's why there's a Football Intelligence Unit but not for other sports.

12 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Two things:

That’s not a valid reason in this instance. We were home to Preston. Tbh it’s no big deal to me but as others have said playing a game of rugby when the football should have been on is absurd. Sport as a whole should either go ahead or be cancelled, no cherry picking.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

In the greatest respect BrizzleRed, I imagine you're not on a zero hour contract on the poverty line. Minimum wage employees of Football clubs are unlikely to be paid for this weekend now, money they desperately need. 

Same for local businesses, a lot rely on Footballl fans to keep their income going. I imagine local pubs, restaurants, burger vans etc stocked up this week expecting a double header. There will be a lot of booze and food going to waste, plus now staff will be told they aren't needed tonight.

All during a cost of living crisis. 

100% correct, the decision by Prem and EFL is purely about saving face and playing safe in case they get some bad press.  There will be hundreds of pubs and burger vans etc getting  little or no revenue this weekend as a direct result of this decision, who may well have paid out for stock etc, but the EFL would rather “respect” the Queen who is no longer here than respect the individuals who run those businesses.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't wish them ill or anything but there's nothing that makes being pro Royal mandatory.

Queen did a pretty good job and was a constant but a heavily reformed or even gradual winding down of monarchy is a perfectly valid position to take.

Football took the decision, rugby surprisingly has albeit delayed played on! Role reversal there.

I think she did more than a pretty good job 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

That's a call for police and is not so simple to predict. Some of the biggest offs I've seen in recent years have been at games one wouldn't necessary have predicted (given they're mostly pre-arranged affairs.) They're policing whole journeys, not just the streets around BS3. That's why there's a Football Intelligence Unit but not for other sports.

Oh of course and the whole journeys point is a pretty valid one IMO, yes I recall while it wasn't exactly a huge 'off' Brighton at home November 2016 was more of a valid point.

However for this profile of game, I believe not that likely that risk fans, would travel, certainly in the ground trouble not that likely.