IGNORED

another world cup tournament in the desert?

Never to the dark side

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Serbia would be more logical for Greece, seeing as they both hate Turkey.

7 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Or Armenia.

Or North Macedonia? Especially if they had a stadium in the neighbouring Greek region which is also called North Macedonia. Imagine the confusion for fans. :)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Never to the dark side said:

Greece,Eygpt and Saudia Arabia are considering a joint bid to host the World Cup in 2030

Politically, this could have legs.  Europe, Africa and Asia so would have a lot of support. 

Probably not Turkey though..

3 minutes ago, 22A said:

Several hours flight between those countries. Teams would have to play all their group games at one location.

Nowhere near the distances in the 2026 world cup though.

If I was Australian I`d be pretty pissed the WC has never gone there. Huge distances but not as much as the US and it would be in their winter. As the Olympics showed, they can put on a bloody good show too. I can only imagine it`s the time difference as all the games would be on in the middle of the night and the advertisers wouldn`t like it.

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

If I was Australian I`d be pretty pissed the WC has never gone there. Huge distances but not as much as the US and it would be in their winter. As the Olympics showed, they can put on a bloody good show too. I can only imagine it`s the time difference as all the games would be on in the middle of the night and the advertisers wouldn`t like it.

We are always told that the Asian market is the future and the Aussie timezones wouldn't be out of step there. Just us poor Europeans that would feel left out for a change. :)

Actually looking at it, it would be that bad, games on the East Coast would start about now maybe? West Coast around 1pm, that's not too out of place compared to some other tournaments.

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

We are always told that the Asian market is the future and the Aussie timezones wouldn't be out of step there. Just us poor Europeans that would feel left out for a change. :)

Actually looking at it, it would be that bad, games on the East Coast would start about now maybe? West Coast around 1pm, that's not too out of place compared to some other tournaments.

I`m trying to recall when the Japan/Korea games started. IIRC the first one was about 8am our time and then one at 11ish with another one a 2 or so,

I suspect the real reason is that they aren`t prepared to `accommodate` the right people financially though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Agreed. Everything is super accessible once you get there too. Yes the cities are some distance from each other, but once you're there they're pretty easy to get around. You could easily have 'hubs' for the various groups, and they have great stadiums too. A World Cup final at the MCG would be quite something.

Yes we can feel a bit mugged off having lost to Russia but Australia losing to Qatar for 2022 was outrageous.

Edited by nebristolred
  • Like 2

I have no problem with these countries being able to put in an application. 
Every country is entitled to put in an application. 
As long as the decision is reached on fair footing, with no bribery or corruption involved then there’s no reason why we can’t embrace a World Cup in countries outside of the ‘big’ or ‘established’ footballing nations. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I`m trying to recall when the Japan/Korea games started. IIRC the first one was about 8am our time and then one at 11ish with another one a 2 or so,

I suspect the real reason is that they aren`t prepared to `accommodate` the right people financially though.

Sounds about right to me. I remember running down and back to asda to get my shopping on a Saturday before a game. I recall looking at my watch and seeing 7:10, so it's possible I was trying to shoot back for 7:30. Maybe the games were across a couple of time zones as well?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Sounds about right to me. I remember running down and back to asda to get my shopping on a Saturday before a game. I recall looking at my watch and seeing 7:10, so it's possible I was trying to shoot back for 7:30. Maybe the games were across a couple of time zones as well?

England v Nigeria was 730am I think, along with the Brazil game where Seaman let in the Ronaldhino free kick, I remember being in the pub at 7am for Nigeria game, and just before ko a load of posties came in to watch it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry said:

I have no problem with these countries being able to put in an application. 
Every country is entitled to put in an application. 
As long as the decision is reached on fair footing, with no bribery or corruption involved then there’s no reason why we can’t embrace a World Cup in countries outside of the ‘big’ or ‘established’ footballing nations. 

Agreed, WCs definitely shouldn't just be for 'big' countries, that's fine (as it goes Greece have won a major tournament more recently than England but let's ignore that bit), as you say has to be fair, of course anyone can bid but 3 different continents irrespective of anything else seems not great.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed, WCs definitely shouldn't just be for 'big' countries, that's fine (as it goes Greece have won a major tournament more recently than England but let's ignore that bit), as you say has to be fair, of course anyone can bid but 3 different continents irrespective of anything else seems not great.

But it’s a cost thing. 
I’m sure it’s bloody expensive to host a World Cup. Some countries won’t have the funds to do it unless they club together. 
I doubt Greece and Egypt would have the money to build 8 fantastic new stadiums holding 40k+ fans. A joint bid is all the rage these days - to help with costs. I wouldn’t want to deny a smaller country not being able to host a tournament just because they can only afford it if they share the costs with someone else. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Greece and the Balkans World Cup, Serbia, Croatia, etc

That would be bloody great