IGNORED

The reckoning

old_eastender

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Norwich Weds, Burnley Sat, these games will show whether, or not, we can be viewed as realistic play-off contenders. 

Personally think 3 pts from the 2 games would be an excellent return. Anything more and I'll really start to get carried away!

A lot will depend on how well our wing backs can offer defensive cover, as well as getting forward. Sunderland showed just how the holes behind our wing backs can be exploited. 

Nice to be looking at the top end of the table, rather then the bottom even if we do get beat in both games.

Personally think it’s way too early for this or for anything to be ‘season defining’ as such.

The champ is such a crazy league we could win both then lose our next 2 home games. Winning both would be a huge statement but I don’t see it shaping our season if we were to lose.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Super said:

I would take 2 points now.

I’d take 2 points. The advantage with this is, as well as City picking up points, it prevents 2 good teams from getting 3 points in their respective matches. It would also be a confidence boost for the City players. 

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

I'd take our goal difference not taking a bashing!

This is a good point. I checked our record away to Parachute bolstered clubs last season...not ideal.

Now we are clearly in a significantly better place, it's a new season. 8 unbeaten, positivity in the camp- perhaps Semenyo will now be fully fit and another benefit which I'd forgotten about is a bit of rest for Williams- as he needs managing carefully.

James given he is 31, this helps him too or should- Weimann too given his appearance record and work rate.

All the same, last season it read:

Fulham 2-6

Bournemouth 2-3

Huddersfield 0-2

Sheffield United 0-2

West Brom 0-3

Any point on the road will be an improvement. We can score some..as we saw 4 in 2 games.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

If we keep up the standards we’ve set so far this season, I see nothing for us to fear at Norwich or Burnley. I’d settle for two more positive performances, where we don’t get dicked, but I really wouldn’t be surprised if we got six or four points either. Taking points off any team with parachute payments is a bonus IMO.

• Like 1

• Admin
On 12/09/2022 at 18:05, pillred said:

What's this all 3? I thought we were discussing the next two games.

Someone earlier threw in the Blackburn game too but despite our historical penchant for conceding late goals I'm pretty confident we won't lose that game.

• Like 1

On 12/09/2022 at 12:13, old_eastender said:

Norwich Weds, Burnley Sat, these games will show whether, or not, we can be viewed as realistic play-off contenders. 

Personally think 3 pts from the 2 games would be an excellent return. Anything more and I'll really start to get carried away!

A lot will depend on how well our wing backs can offer defensive cover, as well as getting forward. Sunderland showed just how the holes behind our wing backs can be exploited. 

Nice to be looking at the top end of the table, rather then the bottom even if we do get beat in both games.

If we lose both but perform as we have been defending well and creating chances I will still be enthusiastic.

One of the most impressive things about us this season so far is we actually look like a decent side and with options on the bench! These 2 games won’t control our destiny this season 

Edited by Logical-City
  • Like 1

• Admin

I kinda see these 2 games as a couple of free hits. Because of the opposition,  I don't think it would knock our players' confidence if we lose both and they'd still be highly motivated to bounce back after the international break but if we won either it could add more belief to our squad. Win both and we'd all be bouncing off the ceiling ?

• Like 1
  • Robin 2

Hopefully not tempting fate here, but Burnley have drawn quite a few this season haven't they. Perhaps I'm  little less pessimistic or cautious a better word than 24 hrs ago. I also appreciate that they're top 6 and Parachute bolstered!

For all of their undoubted technical ability they've won 3 out of 9, maybe a draw Saturday isn't such a stretch.

A Fulham of last year, a Bielsa inspired Leeds, a Wolves of 2017-18? Or even performance/dominance level if not result, a Brentford of 2019-20 and 2020-21?

Haven't seen one this season yet.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous