IGNORED

The reckoning

old_eastender

Norwich Weds, Burnley Sat, these games will show whether, or not, we can be viewed as realistic play-off contenders. 

Personally think 3 pts from the 2 games would be an excellent return. Anything more and I'll really start to get carried away!

A lot will depend on how well our wing backs can offer defensive cover, as well as getting forward. Sunderland showed just how the holes behind our wing backs can be exploited. 

Nice to be looking at the top end of the table, rather then the bottom even if we do get beat in both games.

Edited by old_eastender

2 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Norwich Weds, Burnley Sat, these games will show whether, or not, we can be viewed as realistic play-off contenders. 

Personally think 3 pts from the 2 games would be an excellent return. Anything more and I'll really to start to get carried away!

A lot will depend on how well our wing backs can offer defensive cover, as well as getting forward. Sunderland showed just how the holes behind our wing backs can be exploited. 

Nice to be looking at the top end of the table, rather then the bottom even if we do get beat in both games.

Minimum of 5 points required... ?

Edited by CiderCraig
  • Haha 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

Norwich will be an interesting game. They would seem to play to our strengths in a way as they’ll want to attack, and should leave some space to exploit behind. As has been said, transitions will be key to make sure we can get back at WB when the turnovers happen.

The extended break is a touch awkward but I remain confident. Can see us definitely getting something there, and gut says a high scoring draw

Is it really ‘the reckoning’ though? We can achieve a play off push without winning these two games and we can still mount a promotion charge but lose most games against parachute clubs this season. I wouldn’t be too concerned if we went into the international break having put up good performances and taken nothing from either game. We’d still be around the play offs. That won’t be the mentality of the squad but I don’t think we should put unnecessary weight behind these next couple games.

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Is it really ‘the reckoning’ though? We can achieve a play off push without winning these two games and we can still mount a promotion charge but lose most games against parachute clubs this season. I wouldn’t be too concerned if we went into the international break having put up good performances and taken nothing from either game. We’d still be around the play offs. That won’t be the mentality of the squad but I don’t think we should put unnecessary weight behind these next couple games.

Totally agree. I will be very happy with two performances in which we compete. That in itself will show significant progression. Any points and that will be a serious bonus.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Although a win and a loss would be better points wise, I think I’d probably prefer two draws and maintain our unbeaten run to be honest!

I’m not one for looking beyond the next game, but like you, coming through this phase having stretched our unbeaten run would be fantastic.  That would be 10 games in all comps.  I’m quite a believer in staying unbeaten builds confidence / momentum.  You may laugh but having lost the first two, I thought getting a point at Wigan (despite losing a lead) off of the back of the cup win at Coventry was a momentum shifter.  To have lost that might’ve created real doubt.

Before the PNE game was called off I hoped we could go into the break with more wins than losses (currently 4 v 2).  One game less now!

Although I don’t necessarily think these two games will define any playoff / promo credentials, I am keen to see how our style of play holds up against two perceived “better teams”.  Can we impose ourselves / our style, can we make them change, etc.  I’ve seen two games (Cardiff and Huddersfield) where our opponents have really stifled us for a good 20 minute period, but we kept going with our “method” and eventually got the likes of Scott and Weimann on the ball between the lines.  In both games I thought the crowd were patient too.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

57 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Personally think 3 pts from the 2 games would be an excellent return. Anything more and I'll really start to get carried away!

And I thought Wednesday were league 1.......?

Edited by cider hoss rules

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's definitely a major test and a double one at that but it won't define out season.

Spot on - Regardless of the results these will be games 9,10 and 11 - less than a quarter of the way thru the season.

I’m sure we’d all love 9 points but 3 would acceptable to keep the unbeaten run going.

• Confused 1

55 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Norwich will be an interesting game. They would seem to play to our strengths in a way as they’ll want to attack, and should leave some space to exploit behind. As has been said, transitions will be key to make sure we can get back at WB when the turnovers happen.

The extended break is a touch awkward but I remain confident. Can see us definitely getting something there, and gut says a high scoring draw

Well I'm going so I choose to be confident (but not overly). We need to stop them getting down our sides and in getting the ball to Josh Sargent as poses a real threat. I don't think they have the quality in midfield they've had previously but we'll see. Take a draw for certain. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We do have a good threat going forward in truth, perhaps the extra time woukd enable a fully fit Semenyo from the start too, just worry a bit about the other end vs 2 parachute bolstered ex PL sides away from home.

Everything you say has resonance, but right now they are as worried about us!

2 minutes ago, swanker said:

I fancy us to get something from every game at the moment  

I think both Norwich and Burnley will be more worried about us than we are about them. 

I agree - both Burnley and Norwich will be concerned about our goalscoring threat. It’s just a matter of keeping two clean sheets………..:whistle2:

• Like 1

Jeez. We have had years of struggling and under performing followed by our recent good form (which is rather short by comparison) and all of a sudden the expectation is we're playoff contenders.  

Enjoy the moment and don't set expectations that are unfair or unrealistic against teams with the resources of Burnley or Norwich.  It's a long season. At least wait until January before considering where we are.

• Haha 1

Getting 2 points or more across the two games games would I hope be considered progress by most, compared to the last few seasons.

Getting  4 points or more would I feel be quite exciting for our prospects. Granted, it will still be only 10 games by then, and City have shown ample capacity in years gone by to prove the old adage "its the hope that kills" true.

By the end of these 2 games we'd have played a fair proportion of the top half of the table (as it stands now) away from home. Not to say away games against the bottom half sides are easy ofc!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

I’ll take 2 draws right now

• Like 4