IGNORED

Match Report: Despite defeat City cement credentials

Olé

Not sure about Vyner being at fault for the second. Unless I am mistaken it was a dodgy pass shanked by Naismith that lead to that. But for the third he was watching the bloke who ran behind him and not intent on winning the ball against Sergant. 

Im not going to go on about Naismith, but risk reward player, brushes over the amount of goals and lost points the bloke is directly and semi directly responsible for….He needs to pack that shit up. NOW! No excuses anymore except we have bugger all else to replace him as the senior defender if Klose is not fit. 

City were great. Atkinson Scott and Sykes were excellent Wells and Conway very good. Bentley made two great saves, Norwich know they got out of jail due to two outright mistakes and one weak challenge. 

Aggggh!

• Like 4

Last night was about "are we able to compete with these relegated Prem teams".

Putting aside the manner of the goals conceded, the answer is a resounding yes.

City went to Norwich, took the game to them, and dominated the match, not a lot of teams will do that.

As such, all players get an 8/10 from me for their contribution to an enjoyable game.

I hope we can do the same on Saturday - without the errors leading to conceding.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

8 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Last night was about "are we able to compete with these relegated Prem teams".

Putting aside the manner of the goals conceded, the answer is a resounding yes.

City went to Norwich, took the game to them, and dominated the match, not a lot of teams will do that.

As such, all players get an 8/10 from me for their contribution to an enjoyable game.

I hope we can do the same on Saturday - without the errors leading to conceding.

Saturday is the big worry for me (more so than before last nights game). Simply down to all the travel, quick turnaround, Burnley having an extra days rest and the amount of energy that went into that performance last night, I really hope we can compete with the same energy levels etc, but am just fearful we may chuck in a poor one. I really hope I am wrong.

1 minute ago, TheReds said:

Saturday is the big worry for me (more so than before last nights game). Simply down to all the travel, quick turnaround, Burnley having an extra days rest and the amount of energy that went into that performance last night, I really hope we can compete with the same energy levels etc, but am just fearful we may chuck in a poor one. I really hope I am wrong.

We could freshen up in numerous areas.

Could easily go with:

Bentley

Vyner | Naismith | Atkinson

Tanner | Williams | Massengo | Pring

Weimann

Martin | Semenyo

and have 6 new players in key positions and re-kindle WSM.  There are of course lots of options.  We have no idea who will recover sufficiently, and I’m sure at 14:00 on Saturday there will be the usual, “why is he playing, why isn’t he playing” type comments.  It is a short turnaround, I’m guessing it will be a very light session before flying up tomorrow?

The Nige pre-match chat will probably give us the answers, x is knackered, y is playing well and feeling fine, etc.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Olé said:

Naismith 6 A vital player in many attacking and set piece phases but a liability at other times - a risk reward player  

I get the Risk and Reward comment, but for the first goal it had nothing to do with Naismith trying to get a move going by being adventurous, he tried to control a ball he was never going to control instead of clearing it, that’s an error. 

The second goal could fall into the risk and reward bracket, but from previous matches there have been, for me, basic errors that were nothing to do with attacking, and all to do with basic defending.  I really hope he sorts it out obviously 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Could easily go with:

Bentley

Weimann

Martin | Semenyo

and have 6 new players in key positions and re-kindle WSM.  There are of course lots of options.  We have no idea who will recover sufficiently, and I’m sure at 14:00 on Saturday there will be the usual, “why is he playing, why isn’t he playing” type comments.  It is a short turnaround, I’m guessing it will be a very light session before flying up tomorrow?

The Nige pre-match chat will probably give us the answers, x is knackered, y is playing well and feeling fine, etc.

Yes we could freshen up, and I'd imagine 2/3 changes. I personally wouldn't want to see too many but guess that is down to the coaches and fitness team. Also one positive, is after Burnley we don't have a game for a couple of weeks, which may help pushing a few players due to the break? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TheReds said:

Two flights to Norwich and Burnley will have alleviated the travel a bit - cut out around 6 hours.

But I agree that it is still a tough schedule, maybe a bit of rotation in the team.

14 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Could easily go with:

Bentley

Weimann

Martin | Semenyo

Anyone know where the squad went after the Norwich game?

I would have stayed in a hotel near Norwich, had a light trading session on Thursday morning, travelled to Burnley and two nights there with a normal Friday training.

No point in coming back to Bristol on Wednesday evening and another long journey on Friday to Burnley.

11 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Anyone know where the squad went after the Norwich game?

I would have stayed in a hotel near Norwich, had a light trading session on Thursday morning, travelled to Burnley and two nights there with a normal Friday training.

No point in coming back to Bristol on Wednesday evening and another long journey on Friday to Burnley.

Coach back to Bristol….straight into the cryogenic room….home, day off.  They are flying to Burnley too (or nearest airport).

Edited by Davefevs
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Could easily go with:

Bentley

Weimann

Martin | Semenyo

I think the fact we are coming into an International break means less likelihood of too many changes.

Conway has played a lot more than he would have expected , same with JD , a lot of hard yards. Atkinson & Weimann too.

I would guess Nige will go by reports on knocks & fitness, but he isn't one for changing for the sake of it. The midfield is the one place he has changed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone switched there.

Semenyo could probably do with a start, which would be hard on whoever loses out. 

My guess is maybe one change, probably MF. But I wouldn't be shocked if Semenyo did start.

29 minutes ago, Selred said:

Love Williams, but his passing is pretty poor for a Championship midfielder!

I was thinking when he came on - last season he made every player look 20% better when he came on/back from injury, this season he isn't making that much difference.

Still a type of player we need, will always try and get a forward pass, has the right mentality so useful but not making the difference he was (from a low bar).

46 minutes ago, Selred said:

It frustrated me how many times he lost the ball in the final 10 minutes. I think he needs to calm down a tad and this may improve his decision making process when making the right pass.

By comparison - James and Scott are miles ahead in terms of passing ability

4 minutes ago, 2015 said:

It frustrated me how many times he lost the ball in the final 10 minutes. I think he needs to calm down a tad and this may improve his decision making process when making the right pass.

By comparison - James and Scott are miles ahead in terms of passing ability

He tries the Hollywood pass too many times, you're right, just need to calm down, take a second or two, and play a simple pass. 

2 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

I think the fact we are coming into an International break means less likelihood of too many changes.

Conway has played a lot more than he would have expected , same with JD , a lot of hard yards. Atkinson & Weimann too.

I would guess Nige will go by reports on knocks & fitness, but he isn't one for changing for the sake of it. The midfield is the one place he has changed, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone switched there.

Semenyo could probably do with a start, which would be hard on whoever loses out. 

My guess is maybe one change, probably MF. But I wouldn't be shocked if Semenyo did start.

That’s my “nagging doubt” too…can they go one more game?

If it were me (with no sports / medical science info), I’d freshen it up a bit…especially in midfield.

The Milan sports science team were early adopters of taking players out as they were hitting fatigue, rather than after they’d hit it.  They felt injuries in game would more likely occur if the fatigue was gonna happen during the match.

But we are gonna have to wait and see.  Without pre-empting a negative thought, I’d be a bit cheesed off if a few players had poor games because they were tired.  There shouldn’t need to be.

2 hours ago, Selred said:

Statistically he’s not, but that’s boring, and not my point!!! ???

My point is - I think he struggles (less effective) to get into the game when coming on as sub.  He looks a bit rushed…and his passing is hit and miss.

1 hour ago, Pezo said:

I was thinking when he came on - last season he made every player look 20% better when he came on/back from injury, this season he isn't making that much difference.

Still a type of player we need, will always try and get a forward pass, has the right mentality so useful but not making the difference he was (from a low bar).

As above, when he starts I think he’s straight up to the pace of the game.  And he was hugely influential, as you say, at the back end of last season.

He’s now played in each league game, which is a big positive.  I’m kinda hoping post the international break that we are no longer restricting him and he can fight for his place back to back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That’s my “nagging doubt” too…can they go one more game?

If it were me (with no sports / medical science info), I’d freshen it up a bit…especially in midfield.

The Milan sports science team were early adopters of taking players out as they were hitting fatigue, rather than after they’d hit it.  They felt injuries in game would more likely occur if the fatigue was gonna happen during the match.

But we are gonna have to wait and see.  Without pre-empting a negative thought, I’d be a bit cheesed off if a few players had poor games because they were tired.  There shouldn’t need to be.

MF is the one place we have rotated , partially due to Williams being eased in , but he has given others a run. 
That might be less now Scott and James are fully back.

Statistically he’s not, but that’s boring, and not my point!!! ???

My point is - I think he struggles (less effective) to get into the game when coming on as sub.  He looks a bit rushed…and his passing is hit and miss.

I've thought that, almost like he try's too hard  to get into the game. I have thought the same about Semenyo, can look a little clumsy at first.

• Like 1

Bristol Live ratings:

• Alex Scott - 7.8 
  • Rob Atkinson - 7.8 
  • Tommy Conway - 7.4 
  • Jay Dasilva - 7.1 
  • Antoine Semenyo - 7.0 
  • Nahki Wells - 7.0 
  • Mark Sykes - 6.9 
  • Matty James - 6.6 
  • Zak Vyner - 6.5 
  • Andi Weimann - 6.4