IGNORED

Is it Time for Semenyo to start??

Redtrojan

2 hours ago, maxjak said:

NP Obviously knows best.........but considering the short gap between fixtures, it could be an idea to start with "The Beast" and give Tommy a rest on the bench?

It's a difficult one, but for me Tommy must start, if Semenyo is going to come in then as tough as it is, I'd say Wells drops to the bench. Suspect NP will stick with Semenyo on the bench for now though.

4 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

At the risk of opening an event horizon and being consumed in the fires of hell.....could Antoine come in for Andi?

Andi hasn't looked the sharpest in the last few games and Antoine could play a similar 10 role, but with a more powerful punch - if he can tweak that first touch.

"Is the getaway car ready, driver?"

I'd still pick Weimann over Semenyo but I was thinking as I read the thread that, on current form alone, Andi is probably the most droppable of the three forwards. I'm not arguing in favour of doing so but I do think it is a remarkable turnaround that we started the season worried about the absence of Semenyo, feeling pretty much reliant on Weimann and with Martin a shoe-in for the first team and a month later Wells and Conway look more vital than Weimann, Semenyo can't get in the starting line-up and Martin is down to fifth choice. It's a great position to be in. 

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

26 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I'd still pick Weimann over Semenyo but I was thinking as I read the thread that, on current form alone, Andi is probably the most droppable of the three forwards. I'm not arguing in favour of doing so but I do think it is a remarkable turnaround that we started the season worried about the absence of Semenyo, feeling pretty much reliant on Weimann and with Martin a shoe-in for the first team and a month later Wells and Conway look more vital than Weimann, Semenyo can't get in the starting line-up and Martin is down to fifth choice. It's a great position to be in. 

Amazing how quickly things change isn’t it!  You might argue that if you want to bring Antoine back in, you should do it alongside Martin, and recreate WSM?

As you say, good position to be in.

19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Amazing how quickly things change isn’t it!  You might argue that if you want to bring Antoine back in, you should do it alongside Martin, and recreate WSM?

As you say, good position to be in.

What is great is how we can all see that NP actually plays people in form. Keeps them in the team until has to decide otherwise...but most importantly does not hang around making those decisions when needed!

• Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 13:12, O'Garlandinho said:

Anyone who wants to drop Naismith has a very short memory. The football we have been playing so far this season is the best i can remember at this level, and Naismith is a major driver for this positive change.

Yes,and making too many mistakes,which is costing us game's,ie Hull city, Sunderland,

37 minutes ago, Red-Al said:

Yes,and making too many mistakes,which is costing us game's,ie Hull city, Sunderland,

And Norwich.

Back to Semenyo - I think he will be starting against QPR, but no idea who will make way, possibly Conway as he may have a couple of games during the break.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

And Norwich.

Back to Semenyo - I think he will be starting against QPR, but no idea who will make way, possibly Conway as he may have a couple of games during the break.

Ghana fixtures may mean he will be back quite late next week.  If Conway stays with the Scotland 21s, his last game is Sunday.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

And Norwich.

I hope he does get a start soon so he can get into a rythym. That chance he skied vs Burnley was a very difficult angle but one I think he would take or at least hit the target on 7 or 8 times out of 10. Shows how far he's come; this time last year I wouldn't be surprised at the all about him sending it into row Z. I get not wanting to risk reinjury as with his contract running down a significant injury could be the difference between getting 15 million for him vs 25 or 30 but I am also eager to see him Conway and Weimann getting a good connection going. I think that's probably our best 3 up top

Edited by Champfan45
  • Like 1

On 16/09/2022 at 13:52, robin for life said:

Or perhaps given all Semenyo's goals have come when he's been on the pitch with Wells, perhaps a better pairing would be Wells and Semenyo.

Yeah it's unclear if Conway and Semenyo thrive with Wells as a foil or if that's just circumstantial. Personally I'd like to see Weimann behind TC and AS, but other combinations are working so no need to change unless Nige sees something.

• Like 1

Semenyo needs to start now for me. We have consistently looked more dangerous with him on the pitch. Even if he's only fit to play 60-70 minutes at first we're gonna have to break him in eventually, so why not now? I think Conway will benefit from coming off the bench as well, or he could even get a run of games behind the striker if NP doesn't want to drop him 

• Like 1

I’ve a feeling Semenyo will start on Tuesday. We’ll never get the best out of him playing him the way we have recently.

He looked dangerous for his first 15 minutes today. Then we started making wholesale changes, messing up our shape, our style, our pattern and leaving everyone, including him looking pretty lost. 

• Like 1

On 15/09/2022 at 14:34, old_eastender said:

It's a difficult one, but for me Tommy must start, if Semenyo is going to come in then as tough as it is, I'd say Wells drops to the bench. Suspect NP will stick with Semenyo on the bench for now though.

Conway shouldave squared the ball to wells would have brought game back to 2.1 before ht puts a different perspective to the game thats twice now recently think it was Burnley away Nige needs to talk to him .

I said before I would stick with Conway and Wells, but I think it's time to drop Conway to the bench. One of the key attributions to Conway's game has been Nahki, and he has been unselfish in playing him in, when he could have shot a number of times, and has assisted him countless times, but if anything, I feel this has enabled Conway to think he may be better than he is, and that he always feels he needs to be the one putting the ball away. I remember twice against Cardiff, Wells looking miffed as Tommy didn't pass to him, and there has been a few instances since. Burnley one that stands out and again yesterday. Whilst Wells has been unselfish and created as many as he has scored, Conway has in theory cost us 2 points, by not doing the right thing, and doing the simple thing to get an assured goal, over making the wrong decision and going for glory himself. You have to ALWAYS give it to the person in the best position and whilst I am glad that he has the confidence to try and score each time, he really should be helping his team mates out. 
He seems unwilling or unknowing to do this and whilst it may be the case we aren't a team good enough for the top six, dropping points because of bad judgement affects the teams position in the league.

I would start with Semenyo and Wells on Tuesday, and hope the coaches can sit down with Tommy, and make him realise, it's not all about him, it's a team game. If he would have shown the same attitude and unselfishness that Wells had shown this season, we would have got at least 2 extra points this season. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, italian dave said:

I’ve a feeling Semenyo will start on Tuesday. We’ll never get the best out of him playing him the way we have recently.

He looked dangerous for his first 15 minutes today. Then we started making wholesale changes, messing up our shape, our style, our pattern and leaving everyone, including him looking pretty lost. 

Yes mate the downfall was bringing on martin he slowed things down just when we were coming to life .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

Generally speaking I haven't liked the way we have changed the way we play when Semenyo comes on this season. I think he deserves a start but I dread the consequences for the way we play.

I don't understand it, the pressing intensity seemed higher last season compared to what it is now and Semenyo is a big part of that. He has certain attributes that cannot be found elsewhere in the side