IGNORED

Magic Moments

sglosbcfc

With the Queen's passing, many people have been remembering meeting her and that special occasion for them. It made me think about meeting City players over the years and some of my special memories.

Probably my favourite was as a schoolboy at Ashton Gate in 1990. It was the annual awards evening and Beryl Fudge asked if I'd like to present the Player of the Year award to Bob Taylor. It would involve being sat at a table next to Bob Taylor and very close to Joe Jordan and then getting up to give Bob his trophy. It was a very special night for me and finally kept my dad quiet for a spell. He had been ribbing me since the 1989 League Cup Quarter finals at Bradford City. After City's early goal Joe Jordan had ran to the City supporters, dodging my outstretched arms to give my dad a giant hug. He still tells that story to this day 'the day Big Joe picked me out of the crowd' ?

Over to you guys...

• Like 6
  • Robin 1

As a 15 year old, I was doing work experience in 2004 up at Clifton College I think it was, sometime between the playoff 2nd leg v Hartlepool and the Lita on the bench game.

Anyway I was helping out with this and that, odd jobs- bit of litter picking and who did I come across? Wasn't fully aware at that time...

Bristol City training, ahead of the 2004 play-off final! Just turned 15 remember, probably pretty happy and excited.

Can't recall if I watched them at all but I got some autographs certainly-  still have them in a book in my room actually. Wished them well ahead of the final too am sure...

Just found it- Mickey Bell and Scotty Murray- have a few from that era! 3 days before that fateful final...possibly would have been their penultimate days training? Final on a Sunday, presumably final day of training would be a Friday for a Sunday final.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

My dad met Liam Brady and Frank Stapleton down the Eurocrest before/after a City game, back when we were in the first division. They signed the back of a photograph of my dad’s forehead (?)?, Liam Brady quipped, “that looks like me.”

It was after Arsenal won the FA Cup v Man Utd., because I knew who Liam Brady was.  

• Like 1

Plenty of interesting chats with players over the years but for me Mrs fudges conversations I will never forget when I was on a yts me and a few mates would ask her to put back away ticket's for Fridays she never said no once imagine going on now asking to do that they would look at you like your insane.  Rip beryl 

• Like 1

my grandad surprised me with a letter from bcfc when i was at school for my work experience. Spent 2 days down the club when big joe jordan was the gaffa.had about 1 hour with jj in his office which was unreal and trained with the players.steve galliers gave me his white away shirt which sits framed in the bar

if my memory is correct we went to sunderland on the saturday and one 1.0 

i could never thank my grandad enough for what he did a special 2 days i will never forget

bc1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 3

When I was 13/14 I did work experience as Ashton Gate working in the ticket office basically.  One day a female reporter came to interview the manager who at that time was Russell Osman.  They asked me to go and tell Russell that the reporter was there to see him.  I was very shy at that age but took up the challenge!  I knocked on his door and said there was a reporter there to see him, and Russell replied with "is she fit!".  I didn't know what to say and scuttled out!  Not sure he would get away with that comment now!  

• Haha 4

There’s a bit of sentiment to this one which makes it special for me personally.

Growing up in the midlands I have a very good friend whose been a WBA ST holder for as long as I’ve been watching City. We basically grew up together & when I lost my Dad at the start of the 07-08 season he was the guy that put us arm round me when I was next at five aside and did everything he could to make sure I was alright. After all that it was sheer coincidence that led to my ‘moment’.

He offered me a lift with his dad to the Hawthornes on Boxing Day and they went for a pint before the match in a hotel. There was a jolly atmosphere because they were flying high, as were we, and there was a mix of City and WBA in there. Including the City first team.

They were lined up waiting to leave as we walked out, I wished the lads luck & pretty much all of them shook my hand like it was some weird guard of honour. Some of them offering sincere gratitude for fans making the trip. They weren’t to know for me it was a short journey, but they also didn’t know where I was emotionally.

They say don’t meet your heroes, on this occasion it rang true. Not because of their attitude, they were professional and courteous, but because we got battered (4-1) and have done virtually every time we’ve been back since!

• Like 1
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 1