IGNORED

The Championship

Davefevs

Interesting that we are only one point better off than this stage last season, and just two places down. I think people forget that it was an ok start (we went up to 9th one match later) derailed mostly by injuries. Of course overall performances are night and day. 

Edited by Bouncearoundtheground
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Brilliant effort, most think Ince is a bit of a clown but he’s done remarkably well so far.

They have some very good individuals and if they keep those players fit, they are capable of doing well…but if they get injuries, then they could be a mixed bag.

• Like 1

Sheffield United wise.

Not looked at underlying numbers but I did look at points in equivalent fixtures last year.

Plus11 vs Championship clubs at the level, when you consider they beat all 3 clubs relegated to League 1 last season at Bramall Lane last season then it remains plus 11 and then whether we consider Watford to be equivalent to Fulham, Bournemouth or  Nottingham Forest will depend on whether it is -3, -1 or same vs them.

Plus 8, 9 or 11 if we measure it that way basically.

They got 55 pts from the last 26 games last season, extrapolated that is title winning form. Not far off 100 pts.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Had Sheff U down as winners, not changed my mind yet.

Norwich and Burnley I had big doubts over. Burnley with a new manager & trying to changed their style, I really thought they would start slowly. Now I think they will there, or there abouts. Norwich, from what my mate was saying, I thought would start slowly. Hang over from last year and a lot of questions over the manager. This year, still a lot of decanting voices by the seem of things. They have not played well too often. I think they will challenge, but not like they have in previous years. 

Reading is a strange one, I really don't rate Ince. I still think they will tail off. 
Watford sound too inconsistent, always look like they will be strong though.
WBA, surely they have to get a new manager in soon.
The promoted sides, we know what a good start can do to momentum. Rotherham have a real chance to stay up and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sunderland keep up a challenge for the Playoffs.

One thing is for sure, the Championship is more Championshipy so far. With luck, and the wind in the right direction, we have a chance to make a run at the top 6. But not even a third of the season gone, things are only just settling down.

It really is an excellent league to be part of. I can remember years ago when we were struggling to get out of the 3rd tier, under Wilson probably, thinking how great it would be to be an established championship team challenging in the top half.

Well this is our 8th season back in it and it looks like we might be challenging in the top half again and I love it.

I know the vast majority of us would love to taste the top tier but my word it would be a very different experience.

• Like 14
  • Flames 1
  • Robin 2

44 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

It really is an excellent league to be part of. I can remember years ago when we were struggling to get out of the 3rd tier, under Wilson probably, thinking how great it would be to be an established championship team challenging in the top half.

Well this is our 8th season back in it and it looks like we might be challenging in the top half again and I love it.

I know the vast majority of us would love to taste the top tier but my word it would be a very different experience.

Financially true - we really do need to get there for that. Entertainment wise, maybe not so much? I remember walking back to the car chatting to a Derby fan after we`d played them and asked him what he thought of their season in the sun. His reply was that it was great to begin with but soon lost it`s shine and it became `how many are we going to get beat by this week?`

Sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I think Reading fans are not convinced, and waiting for the bubble to burst ,judging by their very poor crowds .

Agreed about their chances of a sustained top 6 push, although think this start could enable them to stay up with relative comfort which considering their reported cutbacks, losing Swift for one who was a huge source of goals and assists- would be a job well done by Ince.  He's doing well.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

When I think about promotion from the championship it’s always surrounding the way we would get there, the day we would have, where it would be, the moment experienced and the goal scored to take us up. I don’t think, realistically, it would ever get better than that. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

When I think about promotion from the championship it’s always surrounding the way we would get there, the day we would have, where it would be, the moment experienced and the goal scored to take us up. I don’t think, realistically, it would ever get better than that. 

I take it you are too young to remember 1976 I do and believe me if we ever do get promotion to the top flight you will remember it in every detail and as you say for all of us it would be the pinnacle of our city supporting life, it's been 42 years away from it far too long. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

I think Reading fans are not convinced, and waiting for the bubble to burst ,judging by their very poor crowds .

They have always been a park team on steroids though Slarti, I don't think that they have had many attendances outside of the Prem to justify their ground. It's often boosted by the amount of space they are willing to give away support like ours.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Yes I remember 1976 but wasn't there as i was a kid and lived away from Bristol. So as long as it happened while we we there, ie a play off final, it would take some beating. 

And of course it needn't be disaster on the pitch once we were up. . Nige's Leicester did alright after they went up. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

They have always been a park team on steroids though Slarti, I don't think that they have had many attendances outside of the Prem to justify their ground. It's often boosted by the amount of space they are willing to give away support like ours.

I always think of them as Elm Park with 4k  !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Normally catch the train to home game and have ended up chatting to various fans of clubs that have gone up and back down 

and like in a previous post it’s not always as rosy and we think 

A getting hammered some weeks 

b lack of Saturday games 

and c  when we played Man U in the cup people asking for tickets and sat or stood next to someone you have never seen since….

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We were after him whilst at Dorchester, before he went to Reading.

Yes remember him playing for them .

when I was younger I use to have a lot of interest in non league football .

There were some good teams around them even local football with the likes of Lebeq tavern & Hanham sunday , even further back than that I use to watch my uncle play for Portway Bristol & The pen pole on a Sunday some really tough hard and very good players 

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I always think of them as Elm Park with 4k  !

I stood in the home enclosure at Elm Park in 1984 watching a 2-0 City defeat (Laurie Sanchez, Dean Horrix) whilst being bombarded with lumps of terracing ripped up from the away end by naughty, now 60-80 year old, City scallywags. Thanks lads. I said THANKS LADS! Happy Days! :noexp:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-citys-trip-reading-1984-3783939

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I stood in the home enclosure at Elm Park in 1984 watching a 2-0 City defeat (Laurie Sanchez, Dean Horrix) whilst being bombarded with lumps of terracing ripped up from the away end by naughty, now 60-80 year old, City scallywags. Thanks lads. I said THANKS LADS! Happy Days! :noexp:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bristol-citys-trip-reading-1984-3783939

One of the funniest things (hooligan related) happened at Elm Park, even my normally straitlaced dad laughed. Having spent much of the game avoiding the broken glass from the bottles that were constantly being thrown at us, we reluctantly moved out of range. We then noticed that the CSF (or whatever they were called then) started to leave about 5 minutes from the end, which as it was only 1-1 seemed a bit strange. Anyway the final whistle blew and immediately the boys appeared at the far end of the ground and started running along the pitch side towards the bottle throwers.

The funny bit was watching around 100 lads trying to get out through an exit two doors wide. :)

Even our lads stopped and we're just pointing and laughing at them, my dad just said "they must have run out of bottles". :)

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Indeed. They are averaging about 12-13 k at home at the moment - that for me is about Readings level of support. A club that has punched well above their weight over the last 15-20 years.

22 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Well, most of us, me included didn’t think there was a standout team this season….and I’m not convinced Norwich or Sheffield Utd will main their points per game, but boy is it a tight one!

prior to Boro v Rotherham, starting any minute, here’s the table.

image.thumb.png.7618ba5ef3d9f600c9b4835827f479f8.png

Middlesbrough & WBA only winning 3 games between them out of 20 didn’t seem likely