IGNORED

Ten games in

Jerseybean

Massive improvement on last season, however we still concede too many soft goals  and chances. This , in my opinion, is a season to enjoy without the pressures of expectancy or fear of failure. Next season may well be the one that takes us to the promised land , subject to strengthening the squad and retaining what we have.

• Like 9

Yeah a decent start. Because of how well we’ve been doing and how great we have been to watch, and with some hindsight, I’m a little disappointed we didn’t get anything from the last two games. That said, that’s two of the hardest out of the way and I think the QPR game now is winnable. Actually if we don’t win I’ll definitely be disappointed, which shows how far we’ve come.

Edited by real_bristol

17 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/we-can-make-big-strides-this-season-pearson/

With almost a quarter of the season gone NP today claimed ‘we can make big strides this year.’ On the evidence of our first ten games I think he is spot on.

We are playing attractive and effective football, are joint leading scorers (along with top of the table Sheffield United), look far more disciplined, organized and resilient and in each of our four defeats (all by one goal) we could have claimed a point.

With 14 points, from four wins and two draws, we occupy ninth place and have played four of the teams who currently are in the top seven. Of course we very much remain work in progress and have conceded a few poor goals, have a small squad and have thankfully avoided too many injuries or disciplinary setbacks.

Compared with recent seasons things are looking much more positive. 

See Season 16 GIF by The Simpsons

• Haha 4

It was always going to take time for Nige to cultivate a healthy environment throughout the entire the club. He started by off loading the dead wood left by his predecessors. He then began recruiting his coaching team and his backroom staff that he’d worked with previously, before brining in players some of whom had worked under him at other clubs.

This seasons results and performances so far seem to suggest (to me anyway) that Nige is ahead of schedule -  I was anticipating the current improvements to take at least a few months longer so I’m absolutely delighted that at last City are on the way up with a proper manager at the helm - who knows? but if the current form continues City could be looking at a top six finish………….:dunno:

Edited by Robbored
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was always going to take time for Nige to cultivate a healthy environment throughout the entire the club. He started by off loading the dead wood left by his predecessors. He then began recruiting his coaching team and his backroom staff that he’d worked with previously, before brining in players some of whom had worked under him at other clubs.

This seasons results and performances so far seem to suggest (to me anyway) that Nige is ahead of schedule -  I was anticipating the current improvements to take at least a few months longer so I’m absolutely delighted that at last City are on the way up with a proper manager at the helm - who knows? but if the current form continues City could be looking at a top six finish………….:dunno:

Amount of times i've seen you use this phrase Robbored

Don't you think you've polished his balls enough?

Edited by Sturny
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 minute ago, Rossi the Robin said:

If we can keep it up will be quite astonishing considering NP has spent next to nothing - remember when we were all calling out for a new striker…

I know, both Conway and Wells, who had Semenyo been fit been 4th and 5th choice (not that I like using that type of terminology) are sat there with 5 goals and 2 assists each.

The good thing is that defenders are cheaper than strikers so if we still need a CB in January then one us likely to be cheaper than trying to find a “proven” goalscorer.  We might not have any money for either, but we at least know the priority.  Even if Semenyo were to go, you wonder whether we’d try to replace?

• Like 2

Having seen all but one game either live or on TV I've been delighted with progress. Some of the lads need to become more street wise but that will come with the management team we have. If we cut out just half of the silly mistakes we'd be comfortably top 6, it appears we become mentally tired a lot quicker than physically. And yes Robbored  a proper manager is correct.

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I know, both Conway and Wells, who had Semenyo been fit been 4th and 5th choice (not that I like using that type of terminology) are sat there with 5 goals and 2 assists each.

The good thing is that defenders are cheaper than strikers so if we still need a CB in January then one us likely to be cheaper than trying to find a “proven” goalscorer.  We might not have any money for either, but we at least know the priority.  Even if Semenyo were to go, you wonder whether we’d try to replace?

Perhaps we'd look at that Austrian chap - a "proven 20  goals a season championship striker" ?:)

GJ used to judge progress in blocks of 10 games of course and it’s a good measure. 

Placed in 8th and playing the best football for years we are very much exceeding expectations. 

If we finish in and around that, perhaps with a dip into the play offs at times, still playing good football we will have had a superb season. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, One Team said:

GJ used to judge progress in blocks of 10 games of course and it’s a good measure. 

Placed in 8th and playing the best football for years we are very much exceeding expectations. 

If we finish in and around that, perhaps with a dip into the play offs at times, still playing good football we will have had a superb season. 

Most can see our defensive shortcomings so when Kalas returns (fingers crossed), he gives the manager another and different option. In particular it would enable Naismith to be moved from his current exposed position.

• Like 1

I feel we're a good 3 points short of what we should have got given how the games have gone.   The games v Hull and Blackpool spring to mind.  

A measure I like is to compare like for like results from last year to this.  I make it that we're level, having got better results vs teams we played last year but struggled against the promoted sides.  There is a danger in getting carried away as we are on target for about 63 points. We could do with getting back to our habit of scoring first.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

I feel we're a good 3 points short of what we should have got given how the games have gone.   The games v Hull and Blackpool spring to mind.  

A measure I like is to compare like for like results from last year to this.  I make it that we're level, having got better results vs teams we played last year but struggled against the promoted sides.  There is a danger in getting carried away as we are on target for about 63 points. We could do with getting back to our habit of scoring first.  

Although arguably on the balance of play would the extra points in those two games have been deserved?

Hull in particular came on strong although the penalty and deflection were a very unlucky combo! Blackpool had quite a lot of attempts...on the flipside, we could have lost at Wigan, 1 shot on target, had to absorb a fair bit although had Bennett been sent off as he should have been, that would have given us a notable advantage.

Btw the promoted sides have been very competitive to date, I guess Sunderland always might have been but Rotherham in particular have surprised. Wigan too, to an extent but especially Rotherham.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

Looking at our games so far, we have had six away and four at home. In terms of who we have played four currently in the top third (3 points), two in the middle third (4 points) and four in the bottom third (7 points). 9 points from 4 at home, 5 points from 6 away.

Fair to say I think given how we have played, we have played well enough to have more points on the Board. In the pack a point out the top six, and four points out of the relegation zone. It’s tight. Only Hull, looking at the table now, looks an outright poor result, and enough said about that one.

On the upside, settle down a bit in defence and cut out 50% of the mistakes, we are scoring more than enough to make a real push for the top six. Downside has to be if we lost say Scott and one of Conway or Semenyo in January we look a very different side (although we presumably would also then be able to strengthen).

The big big upside is it’s fun to watch. We are joint top scorers, and there have been 35 goals in our 10 matches so far, the next blessed set of fans is Hull with 32 the only other team in the 30’s (although they may feel less blessed having let in 21 of those).

The only minor bug is I would have liked one of two of the promoted sides to be struggling, as it means at the bottom it looks like it might be a real dog fight, but we kind of knew that anyway. Any team other than maybe the top few on any kind of poor run will start looking over their shoulder very quickly, No easy games.

Could be a lot worse.

Edited by cityexile
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, downendcity said:

Most can see our defensive shortcomings so when Kalas returns (fingers crossed), he gives the manager another and different option. In particular it would enable Naismith to be moved from his current exposed position.

My thoughts as I mentioned another thread kN Was left of a three at a Luton…but that’s where Atkinson is doing rather well… so you move him into the midfield, .,.then who drops out. 
who wants to be a manager a !

• Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, The Bard said:

Statistical measures are useful but you are way too reliant on just looking at results imo. I think you really have to look at how the games have gone this season too and the fact that whilst we have lost two games in a row to get to your "identical record" the performances are not even remotely identical. It's not about being carried away but it is about recognising improvement in what you are watching. Pearson's interview after the game was excellent and shows you how his thinking is and has to be different to people who simply browse at a league table or go on google and compare results from last season to this. If all I need to do is stay at home and google last seasons results/look at the league table to make my mind up on whether improvement has been made or not what is the point in handing over hundreds of pounds for a season ticket?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Statistical measures are useful but you are way too reliant on just looking at results imo. I think you really have to look at how the games have gone this season too and the fact that whilst we have lost two games in a row to get to your "identical record" the performances are not even remotely identical. It's not about being carried away but it is about recognising improvement in what you are watching. Pearson's interview after the game was excellent and shows you how his thinking is and has to be different to people who simply browse at a league table or go on google and compare results from last season to this. If all I need to do is stay at home and google last seasons results/look at the league table to make my mind up on whether improvement has been made or not what is the point in handing over hundreds of pounds for a season ticket?

??????????

4 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

Agreed.

Its an entirely personal gut feel, but it is worth remembering the first three games in the league we started with Martin and Weimann up front. We were ok but not great in those matches. I think NP kind of looked at what happened at Coventry in the EFL, threw in Conway and Wells up front, and it worked. Nothing against what Martin brings to the side, just a different type of player.

I would argue that it is only really the last seven matches we have played exciting front foot football. That is the first baby steps in football terms in coming up to speed with the style he wants, as it is baby steps for Naismith as the centre of a back three and often the last defender. NP persists if he thinks they can be good enough. Semenyo was far from perfect in his first season.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Agreed.

Its an entirely personal gut feel, but it is worth remembering the first three games in the league we started with Martin and Weimann up front. We were ok but not great in those matches. I think NP kind of looked at what happened at Coventry in the EFL, threw in Conway and Wells up front, and it worked. Nothing against what Martin brings to the side, just a different type of player.

I would argue that it is only really the last seven matches we have played exciting front foot football. That is the first baby steps in football terms in coming up to speed with the style he wants, as it is baby steps for Naismith as the centre of a back three and often the last defender. NP persists if he thinks they can be good enough. Semenyo was far from perfect in his first season.

This is a good point. Numbers sort of back this up too.

With the current front 3 we have had shot parity in the League, pretty much (86 for vs 87 against). From Luton at home to present and this is despite the unjustified card for Sykes in the context of the reprieve for Freeman which skewed the numbers quite badly in that one. Stats aside, just remember us being pretty dominant in that game in all aspects until that red card.

This parity comes a) In the context of 1 more away game in the period and b) Well look at our last two games,  the toughness speaks for itself!

This is quite fair yes, we have been more front foot although aspects of Sunderland at home and Hull away were enjoyable. Had Bennett been red carded at Wigan, do we win there?

The improvement is clear though, still not top 6 IMO but it is clear and the fixtures will see easier runs of games too.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, real_bristol said:

Yeah a decent start. Because of how well we’ve been doing and how great we have been to watch, and with some hindsight, I’m a little disappointed we didn’t get anything from the last two games. That said, that’s two of the hardest out of the way and I think the QPR game now is winnable. Actually if we don’t win I’ll definitely be disappointed, which shows how far we’ve come.

Personally I would take a point against qpr as long as we get the 3 against Coventry. Think Alex Scott will be a big miss ( suspension) thought we struggled yesterday after he went off missed his guile on the ball 

• Like 1