IGNORED

looks like lunch time kick offs on saturdays are on the way

Never to the dark side

6 minutes ago, harrys said:

Yes, I wouldn’t go to an away game that kicks off at 12

Well if you work til 2 I can’t see that you’re able to go to many away games as it is?

I can’t see it having any dramatic affect on attendance, people would get more of their Saturday evening available to them. For every person it doesn’t suit there will be someone it does.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Don’t think it’s right to make a change like that mid season. If they do decide on it, the club should have to offer the chance to sell your ticket back to them at cost. 

Think they are doing it as a trial at this point, to see how much energy they save.

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

Well if you work til 2 I can’t see that you’re able to go to many away games as it is?

I can’t see it having any dramatic affect on attendance, people would get more of their Saturday evening available to them. For every person it doesn’t suit there will be someone it does.

I do have some Saturdays off, my last one I went to the Blackburn away game which I wouldn’t of gone to if it was a 12:00 KO, part of the fun for for me is the “day out” how would I of managed the three woeful away performances last season at Cov’, Brum & Forest otherwise !!!

As Nttds said, Mansfield are the 1st. Is a trial if you like, to see impact on attendance etc.

Think this will be somewhat club by club- ability to absorb extra costs, make-up of fanbase etc.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/sep/23/mansfield-town-move-match-to-1pm-kick-off-in-response-to-energy-crisis

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Clubs are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

It genuinely may be the difference between going under or survival for some clubs.

Any change will inconvenience some, and be of help to others, would you rather clubs go out of business to ensure you have ample Wetherspoons time?

A lot of clubs will welcome this, fans will adapt and yes, some may be unable to go for the Winter matches, but be grateful that it would ensure Spring and Autumn matches continue.

Edited by CiderCraig
I sometimes can't slepp/speel/spell
  • Like 2

It's a difficult one, because on one hand some clubs could be "forced" into kicking off earlier if it stops them from struggling financially. In that respect, most supporters would understand the stance.

You then have some season ticket holders that suddenly can't make some/all early kickoffs. Technically they've purchased their ticket(s) knowing that some fixtures may change date/times, but if this means that most times change, it's not what they signed up to.

On the flip side you have the supporter(s) that can't make the 3pm kickoff, but could do an earlier one. This in turn could mean that they could buy a season ticket off someone that can no longer attend because of the time changes.

Of course the bigger issue here is the money grabbing, greedy energy companies that suddenly think they can rule the world.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Taz said:

It's a difficult one, because on one hand some clubs could be "forced" into kicking off earlier if it stops them from struggling financially. In that respect, most supporters would understand the stance.

You then have some season ticket holders that suddenly can't make some/all early kickoffs. Technically they've purchased their ticket(s) knowing that some fixtures may change date/times, but if this means that most times change, it's not what they signed up to.

On the flip side you have the supporter(s) that can't make the 3pm kickoff, but could do an earlier one. This in turn could mean that they could buy a season ticket off someone that can no longer attend because of the time changes.

Of course the bigger issue here is the money grabbing, greedy energy companies that suddenly think they can rule the world.

Coupled with that Howard from the Halifax adverts, sorry... Kwasi Kwarteng, refusing to tax them to ensure the money is fed back to support the country.

Edited by CiderCraig
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, MarcusX said:

For every person it doesn’t suit there will be someone it does.

I would disagree - what are you basing that on? It's too simple to say that without any data.

If kickoff was at 4am, it wouldn't suit far more people than it would suit.

Someone would have to run the numbers to answer that - which maybe they have but maybe they haven't.

Perhaps that part of what they want to trial.

I could see it having quite a big impact on away attendance for games where the travel time is 2.5+ hours.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Taz said:

You’d like to think there was some “option” for those completely stuffed by a change in time for 2/3rds of the season (if it came to it)?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You’d like to think there was some “option” for those completely stuffed by a change in time for 2/3rds of the season (if it came to it)?

Legally - the club is probably covered by terms no one ever reads when you purchase your ticket.

They know a lot of games get moved for TV and other reasons, they'll have a stipulation somewhere that covers them.

I imagine it would be up to the clubs to make their own rules if it was to happen. As you say though, you'd like to think they'd consider that...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, harrys said:

Great, I finish work at 2 on a Saturday, anyone want to buy my season ticket ?

There are only a few clubs in the EFL thinking of doing this, I doubt many Championship clubs would deem it worthwhile after balancing attendances and loss of match day revenue from people such as yourself I would be very surprised if many clubs above say league one were considering it.

I would imagine non-league clubs would jump at the chance.  Especially at the lower reaches of the pyramid, say Step 5 and 6 (Tiers 9 and 10).  Many of them struggle now and the increased costs of floodlights would send many under.  Plus, 12 noon KO, they could play and make their local league sides KO at 3 -thus increasing attendances.  Job done!

Also, regular attendees at league games could take in a non-league game at 12 and also make the league game.  Win-win

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

From the clubs perspective its trade off between probably less supporters in attendance and the cost of running the floodlights for an hour or so (interior lights would be on anyway).

The majority of non-attending supporters would be in the away end I imagine with some loss of POTD home supporters (season ticket monies already in the bank). In which case, I would think it is more applicable to the lower leagues with smaller attendances and smaller away followings.

• Like 1