IGNORED

Cup replays

22A

Saw an item in Wednesday' s "Metro" about FA Cup replays.

The Premier teams (who else?) want no replays for rounds 3 & 4.

The FA, whose competition it is, counter this by pointing out replays bring in gate and TV revenue and have TV contracts already in place until 2025.

A compromise looks possible as the suggestion has been made that whether a replay will be needed or not "depending on circumstances". If one of the teams involved is also playing in Euro competitions, they will be excused FA cup replays.

Unless you get a big team away in a replay then replays are just a pain for lower league clubs as well, having another midweek game and potentially another overnighter with the associated costs if you get someone at your level where there's minimal benefits from ticket revenue etc. Also more chance of upsets if ties are only 1 game.

Edited by Lrrr
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Unless you get a big team away in a replay then replays are just a pain for lower league clubs as well, having another midweek game and potentially another overnighter with the associated costs if you get someone at your level where there's minimal benefits from ticket revenue etc. Also more chance of upsets if ties are only 1 game.

I agree, can’t believe they still exist.

Even more so in the early stages of the competition. For example, If Weston draw with Helston in the next round, they will need to travel to the tip of Cornwall on a week night - time off work for the players etc, crazy and unnecessary in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Disagree to an extent. We'd never have beaten Liverpool at Anfield if replays hadn't existed. An away draw at Man City brings them here for a replay. Great away tie, then a great home tie. Double bubble.

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Disagree to an extent. We'd never have beaten Liverpool at Anfield if replays hadn't existed. An away draw at Man City brings them here for a replay. Great away tie, then a great home tie. Double bubble.

First 6 words, 'unless you get a big team'. Obviously great if you get a big team but the majority won't be and therefore usually costly in comparison.

I don't dislike replays but one should be the limit. I don't think anyone would wish to see a repeat of the 4 replays it took Arsenal to get by Sheffield Wednesday on route to winning the Cup in 1979.

I don't think we should accommodate the 'Big Clubs' for playing in Europe though. The FA should remind the clubs they only get to play in Europe courtesy of being involved in the English league and therefore the FA Cup takes precedence. 

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Personally wouldn't mind if they got rid of them in all rounds, much prefer it to be settled on the day. I don't think I've ever seen a home penalty shoot out at Ashton Gate so may increase the chances of that also.

I think this is more accurate!

• Like 1