IGNORED

FBC Podcast: QPR [H] reviewed - bad day at the office, no cause for concern?

headhunter

https://foreverbristolcity.podbean.com/e/qpr-h-review-bad-day-at-the-office-no-cause-for-concern/ [also on Spotify, Google & Apple]

Ian, Neil & DaveP review Saturday's match action.

Was anyone bothered by yesterday's pretty dismal performance when 2 more sloppy goals gave us a mountain to climb with barely a quarter of the game gone? We started well enough and after 15 minutes I was purring with delight as we seemed set for a repeat of the recent good home form; if only Vyner's header had gone in? We get mauled on here for our usually cup half empty approach but give the lad a break and this is directed at those who felt he should have done better with his effort.

Nahki scored a typically Nahki goal from close range but we really didn't raise our game after that due in no small way to substitutions which added nothing to our game.

Martin looks even slower than he did at the start of the season and Semenyo's threat is reduced when he plays out wide and the same for Nahki as that's where they ended up to accommodate the "big man".

Was this a game too far for Sykes, what's wrong with Weimann who's seems as if he's been off his game for a few weeks. These points are debated which includes the obvious remark that 21/22 was the champagne season of Andi's career and appears unlikely to be repeated.

What's the general view of Joe Williams? Many [?] saw him as some sort of messiah who would sort our midfield problems as we waited patiently for him to regain a level of fitness that would allow him to play a succession of games. Who, like me, is disappointed that he is looking well short of expectation?

Kane Wilson - we debate an apparent lack of fitness commented on by many on here following his 20 minute sub appearance. Is the step up from League 2 to the intensity of the Championship too much but then again his cause is not helped by not getting any minutes on the pitch in the U21s unless I'm mistaken.

Why are we so poor after international breaks? Its been a feature of ours ever since we've been back in the Championship. QPR looked fitter, had a game plan and were generally more on it than us. Why? They haven't got a pot to *iss in when it comes to £ yet a rookie coach [good pedigree though under Gerrard] had fashioned a side that looked good on the eye.

The final topic discussed in this episode is what criteria lets a former player be classified as a legend. Number of appearances clearly has its place but on a weekend which saw praise heaped on Dziekanowski on his 60th birthday I posed the question why is not Andy Cole revered in similar fashion? Both featured in a City side that was struggling in the Championship during their time here. Cole scored 21 in 40 appearances, Jackie 7 in 43. Cole left us and had a stellar career in the top flight over a number of seasons, Jackie's better days were behind him and after leaving us he barely managed another 50 top flight games and he was only 30. Jackie was a character [listen to us recount the true tale of his clash with Robbie Turner] but save for that FA Cup game at Leicester with Motson's "he's on another planet" comment plus a handful of other games when he starred I can't afford him legend status and I've been watching City for 55 years.

• Confused 1

Thanks for the podcast yet again. Neil is a good panel member always a great listen. Be good for people to go on mute when not talking though! It’s a shame the audio is still an issue as the content is good.

As for legends, for me it’s about the contribution they make to the team and club in their time with us. Clearly being part of a successful team, especially those that win promotion, earns that status hence in recent times the likes of significant contributors in the double winning side would be in that bracket. 

Number of appearances has some relevance but isn’t a given. Yes it applies to Tinnion and Carey, but then look at players like Skuse and O’Dowda! 279 and 160 appearances respectively but both prime examples of complete mediocrity over the last 20 years. 

Jackie and Cole are legends to me personally, but I do get that’s with some rose tint as they are the reason I fell in love with City in the first place. 

I can’t think of a more successful ex-player than Andy Cole either. He was at the game on Saturday as well, saw him outside the sports bar afterwards. 

• Like 1