IGNORED

Trophies/Honours

BCFCGav

Friday is often a quiet day in work for me, so I thought I'd ask peoples thoughts on something we've never had much reason to talk about: honours.

By my reckoning we've won 10 throughout our history;

1 x Second Division / Championship

4 x Third Division / Third Division South / League 1

3 x EFL Trophy

1 x Anglo-Scottish Cup

1 x Welsh Cup

I don't really count the Gloucestershire cup since it was so niche, often just a game between us and the few. 

That's 10 honours across a ~128 year history, or one every thirteen years or so. So no wonder we don't discuss it much.

So the question I put out is, which next? If you had to put down money, what do you think is our next honour. Championship Play-Offs? Championship Title? Or another League 1/EFL Trophy success following a relegation?

2 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

Friday is often a quiet day in work for me, so I thought I'd ask peoples thoughts on something we've never had much reason to talk about: honours.

By my reckoning we've won 10 throughout our history;

1 x Second Division / Championship

4 x Third Division / Third Division South / League 1

3 x EFL Trophy

1 x Anglo-Scottish Cup

1 x Welsh Cup

I don't really count the Gloucestershire cup since it was so niche, often just a game between us and the few. 

That's 10 honours across a ~128 year history, or one every thirteen years or so. So no wonder we don't discuss it much.

So the question I put out is, which next? If you had to put down money, what do you think is our next honour. Championship Play-Offs? Championship Title? Or another League 1/EFL Trophy success following a relegation?

image.thumb.png.a0065ee15bacf0fc5a5dbd2af7479fea.png
I wonder whether the link to Rod Hull / Bristol Rovers was the reason for mentioning the Watney Cup in this song?

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

image.thumb.png.a0065ee15bacf0fc5a5dbd2af7479fea.png
I wonder whether the link to Rod Hull / Bristol Rovers was the reason for mentioning the Watney Cup in this song?

This is all new to me, never heard of the band. Gas did win one of those Watney Cups though didn't they, so seems a reasonable theory.

2 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

This is all new to me, never heard of the band. Gas did win one of those Watney Cups though didn't they, so seems a reasonable theory.

They are a bit of a cult band who wrote some great lyrics.

Go and listen to:

”all I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit” or “Trumpton Riots”

lots of football references in their lyrics, Gerry Gow mentioned in one of their songs.  They are Tranmere fans I think.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

”all I want for Christmas is a Dukla Prague Away Kit” or “Trumpton Riots”

lots of football references in their lyrics, Gerry Gow mentioned in one of their songs.  They are Tranmere fans I think.

They are Tranny fans. They didn't get much media exposure & once famously declined an appearance on The Tube as Tranmere were playing at home that evening (back when they played home matches on a Friday eve).

They also penned the majestic "She's got Dickie Davies eyes".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDarwall said:

They are Tranny fans. They didn't get much media exposure & once famously declined an appearance on The Tube as Tranmere were playing at home that evening (back when they played home matches on a Friday eve).

They also penned the majestic "She's got Dickie Davies eyes".

In the words of Saint and Greavsie “Friday night is Tranny night”! 

• Like 1