IGNORED

Lionesses v USA friendly at Wembley

shahanshahan

• Admin
1 hour ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Rail strikes? A lot of tickets would have gone to schools/sports clubs who were perhaps going to go by train?

How does that work? 

They went on presale to England members then on general sale. 

They've long moved away from the days of large groups of tickets for schools etc

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I assumed that knowing the USA are famed for their pressing that they decided to draw them in and then exploit the space behind the press. 

It worked far more often than not too, and once they get the ball to Walsh it's like watching Iniesta in his prime. I think she is the one they need to keep fit for the World Cup.

As I said during the Euros Keira Walsh always seems to be in control of her own game. Having been outplayed in midfield by Lyon in last seasons Champions League final its no wonder Barcelona came calling for her in the summer. I doubt there's a better midfielder in the world right now, although Georgia Stanway us giving it a good go. 

12 hours ago, Harry said:

What happened to the other 13,000? I was told that this was the fastest ever Wembley sell-out? 

Selling out is one thing, actual attendance is another. The recent North London derby (Arsenal-Spurs at the Emirates) was reported as 53,000 tickets sold but the announcement of the gate was only 47,000. A large slice of the potential went missing. Incidentally, I don't know of any other game where this has been publicly announced, men or women.

Another thought that crossed my mind was the number of tickets that will have found their way into touts' hands. I have been to Wembley many times, usually for the NFL games, and coming out of the tube station are a picket line of touts all yelling and waving tickets for sale. The police are powerless to stop them. I wonder if that was the case for a women's football friendly? Another case of progress?

3 hours ago, 22A said:

I watched the team frequently passing the ball between two or three players in their own penalty area and would be horrified if City tried that tactic.

The Wiegman Way. It has been proven to work. More to come I feel.

10 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

Selling out is one thing, actual attendance is another. The recent North London derby (Arsenal-Spurs at the Emirates) was reported as 53,000 tickets sold but the announcement of the gate was only 47,000. A large slice of the potential went missing. Incidentally, I don't know of any other game where this has been publicly announced, men or women.

Another thought that crossed my mind was the number of tickets that will have found their way into touts' hands. I have been to Wembley many times, usually for the NFL games, and coming out of the tube station are a picket line of touts all yelling and waving tickets for sale. The police are powerless to stop them. I wonder if that was the case for a women's football friendly? Another case of progress?

The Wiegman Way. It has been proven to work. More to come I feel.

Yeah, but 13,000!! 
Let’s be honest here, it wasn’t a sell out. 90,000 tickets were not sold in a record time. It was a little piece of post-Euro propaganda. 

To caveat: I think everyone involved in womens football should be immensely proud that they pulled in a big attendance at Wembley, but it would help their image and attempts to grow the game a lot more if they were just honest about it. It wasn’t a “record time sell out”. Let’s be honest. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Yeah, but 13,000!! 
Let’s be honest here, it wasn’t a sell out. 90,000 tickets were not sold in a record time. It was a little piece of post-Euro propaganda. 

To caveat: I think everyone involved in womens football should be immensely proud that they pulled in a big attendance at Wembley, but it would help their image and attempts to grow the game a lot more if they were just honest about it. It wasn’t a “record time sell out”. Let’s be honest. 

Agreed. It’s always about the attendance but look at WSL, still low but it is growing steadily. I know thousands of tickets are given to schools free but if that’s what it takes to promote it then fair play to them. 

I also think the constant comparison to the Mens game and goal scoring records isn’t helping either. Let them create their own records, it’s getting bigger but will take years.

• Like 1