IGNORED

Athletic Bilbao , at last.

1960maaan

Said this a few times before, forget Barcelona, this really is a unique club.

Imagine if we were in the Prem, but only allowed ourselves to pick players either born in the West Country or who grew up here, then we never got relegated.

Amazing club, never been but will some day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Imagine if we were in the Prem, but only allowed ourselves to pick players either born in the West Country or who grew up here, then we never got relegated.

I can't recommend it enough Graham . I was surprised how popular the flights were the first time we went. After spending a few days there, you can see why.  Plus an hour and something coach ride to San Sebastian , which has 2 beaches and is a fantastic historic City.  Big plus was it was between 22 - 28 degrees this week.

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

I went to watch Bilbao v  Alaves in 2019 when I was on a work trip. It's an utterly amazing stadium and a fantastic atmosphere. What struck me as well was the mingling between fans. It might have been because Alaves are Basque but not major rivals but the fans mixed with each other before the game and there were a few Alaves shirts in the home end, with absolutely no issues from that whatsoever. Yet there was still an incredible intensity in the atmosphere - but without that edge of violence you can get in the UK and elsewhere. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I went to watch Bilbao v  Alaves in 2019 when I was on a work trip. It's an utterly amazing stadium and a fantastic atmosphere. What struck me as well was the mingling between fans. It might have been because Alaves are Basque but not major rivals but the fans mixed with each other before the game and there were a few Alaves shirts in the home end, with absolutely no issues from that whatsoever. Yet there was still an incredible intensity in the atmosphere - but without that edge of violence you can get in the UK and elsewhere. 

My Brother in Law and mate went to the Derby game I missed. They said the fans mixed in the bars and ground, even for that one. No sign of trouble. 

• Like 2

What were the Williams brothers like? Inaki been around for awhile and think he has decided to play for Ghana internationally now. So he will know Antoine Semenyo. As good as Inaki is think Nico at 20 is already close to the Spain squad. Really interested in his career and if he will stay as long as his brother has but think he may be looked at better than his brother was at the same age. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

At the third time of asking, I finally got to see a game at the San Mames stadium. Over the last 5 years or so, I have gone to Bilbao for a Soul weekend. First time, it was an International break. 2nd time, they were away. Then we missed one year, and annoyingly the local Derby. This year I finally managed to get to see a game. 
You could see scarves and shirts appearing around lunchtime, though they don't go "on it" , like it would be over here. Kids and families started showing up around the 'Old Town' in the bars and Cafés. Around 7pm we went to the Stadium, lots of bars surround the Ground and the atmosphere was good. My Brother in Law managed to get an extra ticket for my Wife, just before Kick Off (which she didn't appreciate) at much less than the €200 they wanted on the website. 
The pre match was good, the light show and crowd singing what I imagine a Bask related song. Really easy getting in and around the Stadium, the Toilets were all cubicles and yet quicker than the Gate (less people on the piss I guess). I'd love to know what the guys around me were saying to me, but I don't speak Spanish, let alone Bask. 
The Game was OK, but a side on their best start in an age, against a side struggling a bit, added to an early goal and no away fans meant the atmosphere lacked the passion or jeopardy you might get. While not a walk over, it was a fairly straight forward win. Though somehow, me , my Bother in Law and my mate , all missed a Goal being disallowed by VAR. Iker Muniain pretty much ran the show, but they didn't have to push themselves too much.
Interesting that the team went to the fans in the rail seats after the game, not sure if they do that every game. 
It was my first game abroad, without City involvement, and I loved the experience. I hope to get the chance again soon.

I would say, if you fancy a bit of Football tourism, Bilbao is a great place to try. Direct flights, fantastic City , lovely Stadium and Tickets available.

IMG_8920.thumb.JPG.9cd415ae24f5634b481f55325ab7c184.JPG

IMG_8924.thumb.JPG.e15cdbd55d8f04d62c967a270750afc0.JPG

IMG_8927.thumb.jpeg.d33a977a19d8dd8e7da4979409ed50b2.jpeg

IMG_8930.thumb.JPG.a011d83b143ff48356ce434d7e62f39a.JPG

IMG_8931.thumb.JPG.6ac6ea0a6c8ee5d22f0bf4d84fcb4644.JPG

IMG_8932.thumb.JPG.9ed8c0c13e5a75379701aea3124c11b3.JPG

IMG_9210.thumb.JPG.87eac9aa8b9bded250a4c75f4955a028.JPG

IMG_8965.thumb.JPG.f8b4efb6082d15740e017ab8f49df0ce.JPG

Good post and fair play - you obviousley enjoyed your experience.

They were the Spanish club I always looked out for (when Ander Herrera played them for prior to joining Man Utd) although have now lost interest the Spanish league.

Stadium looks awesome and I've heard the City is great.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

What were the Williams brothers like? Inaki been around for awhile and think he has decided to play for Ghana internationally now. So he will know Antoine Semenyo. As good as Inaki is think Nico at 20 is already close to the Spain squad. Really interested in his career and if he will stay as long as his brother has but think he may be looked at better than his brother was at the same age. 

Nico made his Spain debut recently.

Every possibility of them both being at the WC representing 2 different countries.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

My Brother in Law and mate went to the Derby game I missed. They said the fans mixed in the bars and ground, even for that one. No sign of trouble. 

The northern Spain derbies are all so so different 

Vigo v Coruña = the whole stadium sings the galician anthem pre game. Then it's not uncommon to see players not in the squad from Galicia in the stands given the opposition fans plenty of abuse. It's spicy but rarely trouble 

Oviedo v gijon = this is the Derby, they really hate each other. Lots of trouble. It's up there with seville betis. Really have to watch yourself going to this game: when I went to gijon  Oviedo basketball came on tv, the bar owner nearly put the tv out the window.

Bilbao v sociedad = band of brothers derby. Just so much respect between the two sets of fans. Socidad have also never played a game without one home based playerz and take great pride in youth ,They are just a lot more flexible in who they sign , but just as much pride in being basque.

Catalán Derby: wow to every español fan. Talk about commited to the cause. For barca fans, politics is part of sport. For español fans, the basic rule is don't talk about politics. They are heavily outnumbered, they don't sell out the derby, but for those who do support español, they see themselves as what football is supposed to be. Iniesta is the one barca player they will always respect (if you don't know look up why, it.is a cool story

P.s  I've seen Barcelona fans in the Atlético ends which was more than tolerated. Accepted even.  Like shirt on open display

I've seen United fans do it , celebrate a goal and no issue.

What they won't tolerate is real Madrid fans doing it. When they try , out the stadium you go

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Like I said, it was a funny fairly laid back game. Athletic were never out under any real pressure and controlled large parts of the game. The only one that really stood out to me was Muniain, like a Basque Wade Elliot. Kept the play moving, always available. I thought they were OK without having to be much more. We were lowish and in the corner so not the best place to follow everything. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Like I said, it was a funny fairly laid back game. Athletic were never out under any real pressure and controlled large parts of the game. The only one that really stood out to me was Muniain, like a Basque Wade Elliot. Kept the play moving, always available. I thought they were OK without having to be much more. We were lowish and in the corner so not the best place to follow everything. 

Iker Muniain is pretty much symptomatic of Bilbao, he first burst on to the scene at 17 & was hyped as the next Lionel Messi, but he’s never been a big goalscorer so he got shifted back to midfield & now plays sometimes as a 10, other times wide left.

He’s tiny, maybe 5ft 6 (hence the Messi comparison) & is captain now, coming up to 30 soon but has already played for Bilbao well over 400 times.

It is a feature of their Basque only policy (they went 3 years up until this summer without signing a single player from another club!) that loads of their players have played 200, 300 plus times for them.

This, plus the fact that all their players have a deep connection to the region is one of their advantages in the face of the most restrictive self imposed transfer policy in football.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The turtle said:

The northern Spain derbies are all so so different 

Vigo v Coruña = the whole stadium sings the galician anthem pre game. Then it's not uncommon to see players not in the squad from Galicia in the stands given the opposition fans plenty of abuse. It's spicy but rarely trouble 

Oviedo v gijon = this is the Derby, they really hate each other. Lots of trouble. It's up there with seville betis. Really have to watch yourself going to this game: when I went to gijon  Oviedo basketball came on tv, the bar owner nearly put the tv out the window.

Bilbao v sociedad = band of brothers derby. Just so much respect between the two sets of fans. Socidad have also never played a game without one home based playerz and take great pride in youth ,They are just a lot more flexible in who they sign , but just as much pride in being basque.

Catalán Derby: wow to every español fan. Talk about commited to the cause. For barca fans, politics is part of sport. For español fans, the basic rule is don't talk about politics. They are heavily outnumbered, they don't sell out the derby, but for those who do support español, they see themselves as what football is supposed to be. Iniesta is the one barca player they will always respect (if you don't know look up why, it.is a cool story

P.s  I've seen Barcelona fans in the Atlético ends which was more than tolerated. Accepted even.  Like shirt on open display

I've seen United fans do it , celebrate a goal and no issue.

What they won't tolerate is real Madrid fans doing it. When they try , out the stadium you go

Good knowledge Mr. Turtle. Very interesting. 

• Like 1

I love Athletic and if every club in the world followed their model, then football would be a truly incredible thing. I'd rather watch City in League one with Athletic's player policy than I would watch them play in the Premier League without it. The joy of home grown players and the pride it gives you is far more satisfying than climbing the leagues imo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

It’s a fantastic city, Tone and I went there about 2003/4 and we did the tour of the old San Mamés stadium, stuffed lion in the boardroom et al. Would love to go back and see a game at the new catedral, after visiting a few of the local sidrarias, naturally.  

• Flames 1

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

The third brother, Joe, is the best of the lot!

• Haha 2