IGNORED

Unfairly penalised or not smart enough?

Mr Popodopolous

This is not applicable to today, but I am wondering if stats prove or disprove whether we are either unfairly penalised or if not, if we are not smart enough in how and when we foul- I'd rather we didn't but that isn't realistic is it.

For example we are 17th for Fouls committed this season yet 7th for bookings against.*

Is it the case that we commit worse fouls but less of them hence more bookings or maybe we commit them when frustration is high and this reflects itself in more bookings.

*Source is FotMob, unsure if it's 100 pct.

Says we commit 9.8 fouls per game on average yet receive 2 yellows per game.

In other words, 26 bookings in 13 games, albeit unsure if it includes today. Not cross-checked the figures yet. Anyway I'm sure it's a lower foul/yellow card ratio than other clubs or a divisional average.

Will let smarter statisticians crunch numbers etc but the two don't necessarily align.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

Bit more detail/context too. Fotmob granted!

2018/19

21st for Fouls committed, yet 8th for bookings against.

2019/20

Actual alignment! 21st for Fouls committed and same for bookings against.

2020/21

22nd for Fouls committed, and fairly similarly 21st for bookings against.

2021/22

19th for Fouls committed, but 11th for bookings against.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I can’t say that I’ve had a problem with many of our bookings this season, with most of them being fully justified.

The reasons behind then is another story with a lot of them due to us being caught out of position and having no choice but to give away the booking IIRC.

Yeah some truth to this, especially being out of position..also lead to more serious issues perhaps ie the ridiculous gaps for at least one goal v Norwich.

20 minutes ago, Out of his pie crust said:

At the game today I thought we benefited from at least 4 ref decisions that could have gone either way. Properly shit today 

Fair. Although not so much today but over time some quite interesting trends.

11 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

Refs always shit

Yes the level seems lower in a lot of cases than it has for a long time (although perhaps the extensive analysis highlights errors much more readily, combined with the speed and less physical nature etc of the modern game).