IGNORED

Weimann

What has happened to one of the previously most feared forwards/goalscorers in this division? Is it that he is now not playing such a forward roll? has Conway/Wells up top pushed his nose out and hes miffed? just a bad patch? the fire in his belly seems to have gone out and at the same time our results have dropped off.

Yes the defence has made many errors and the mid-field has been chopped and changed but Weimanns "form" "playing roll" has as well, all at the same time.....resulting in....well our results/form. ?

3 minutes ago, gl2 said:

What has happened to one of the previously most feared forwards/goalscorers in this division? Is it that he is now not playing such a forward roll? has Conway/Wells up top pushed his nose out and hes miffed? just a bad patch? the fire in his belly seems to have gone out and at the same time our results have dropped off.

Yes the defence has made many errors and the mid-field has been chopped and changed but Weimanns "form" "playing roll" has as well, all at the same time.....resulting in....well our results/form. ?

Andi, for whatever reason, has just not been involved much in any of the last 5 games, not even in closing down and pressing the opposition. He looked a bit more involved in the 2nd half today but then wasted our best chance when put through by Semenyo. It's like he has lost a yard of pace/sharpness too. I'd bench him to send the message that he has to step it up, and let's see if Sykes can play in that role and contribute more.

• Haha 1

I think he’s not fully fit. He got the knock on Austria duty and we’ve then reeled off three poor performances with Andi fairly anonymous in each.

The way we play relies a lot on Andi running and creating space/pulling defenders around. That hasn’t happened as much since the break. I’d be interested to see his stats in terms of sprints/distance covered in the last three games vs prior. I think he is putting the effort in, it’s just his body isn’t at its maximum.

Last season, it seemed we had Conway as Weimanns understudy in terms of how he’d fit into the three (Wells typically replaced Martin or Semenyo). I wonder if that’s worth a go, as Conway certainly has the running - obvious counter here is that we’re in poor form and missing a few so you want your best players on the pitch but is it worth it if he can’t bring to the side what he normally does?

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think he’s not fully fit. He got the knock on Austria duty and we’ve then reeled off three poor performances with Andi fairly anonymous in each.

The way we play relies a lot on Andi running and creating space/pulling defenders around. That hasn’t happened as much since the break. I’d be interested to see his stats in terms of sprints/distance covered in the last three games vs prior. I think he is putting the effort in, it’s just his body isn’t at its maximum.

Last season, it seemed we had Conway as Weimanns understudy in terms of how he’d fit into the three (Wells typically replaced Martin or Semenyo). I wonder if that’s worth a go, as Conway certainly has the running - obvious counter here is that we’re in poor form and missing a few so you want your best players on the pitch but is it worth it if he can’t bring to the side what he normally does?

Plus, as I posted yesterday, due to the Nations League he only had a two week close season after one when he had played in every single game.

He’s phenomenally fit, probably the fittest player that we have, but clearly fatigued.

He also is out of form too & that’s not a great combination, as his recent performances have shown.

Pearson talked pre Birmingham about this bloc of games up until the World Cup break, integral as he is to our style of play, we might need to think about him being on the bench for a couple of them.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Andi, for whatever reason, has just not been involved much in any of the last 5 games, not even in closing down and pressing the opposition. He looked a bit more involved in the 2nd half today but then wasted our best chance when put through by Semenyo. It's like he has lost a yard of pace/sharpness too. I'd bench him to send the message that he has to step it up, and let's see if Sykes can play in that role and contribute more.

He could do with a rest no doubt but would be wary with Preston next, Andi is an undoubted game changer when fit and rested, maybe needs a first half on the bench and we can hope Preston tired themselves out beating Norwich yesterday?:fingerscrossed: and of course we were saving ourselves for them ?

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm glad someone else noticed this.

Play him up front he scores goals. Play him wide or behind a front pairing he doesn't. 

We are shoehorning him into the side. His best position is striker. His best spells in a City shirt have been as a striker. Play him in that position or not at all as he ineffective out wide or as a CAM.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gl2 said:

What’s happened to Andi? He’s just reverted back to the Andi we knew prior to last season when many thought he was just an ordinary championship player. Perhaps last season was a freak season? (Hope not though as we need him back to last season’s form smartish). 

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Play him up front he scores goals. Play him wide or behind a front pairing he doesn't. 

When we played the W-S-M trio I thought Andi played behind the front 2 of CM & AS. He proceeded to have his most productive spell of the season (I think). 

• Like 1

Just now, aa_bcfc said:

When we played the W-S-M trio I thought Andi played behind the front 2 of CM & AS. He proceeded to have his most productive spell of the season (I think). 

He did….I think Red-Robbo is being a bit selective.

FWIW Andi is effective centrally, not playing wide…whether that is an a striker or in behind…imho.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aa_bcfc said:

He seems to be being asked to do something else now: pick up the ball from deep positions and feed Conway or Wells.

"WSM" had him just behind Martin and Semenyo, a much more advanced position and one that often evolved into three strikers advancing in a fan-shaped position. 

@2015 is right. He is being used as an attacking midfielder currently. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

He seems to be being asked to do something else now: pick up the ball from deep positions and feed Conway or Wells.

"WSM" had him just behind Martin and Semenyo, a much more advanced position and one that often evolved into three strikers advancing in a fan-shaped position. 

@2015 is right. He is being used as an attacking midfielder currently. 

Because we are lightweight in midfield Andi has to do a job . I agree that since the international break he has struggled to affect matches as have nearly all the squad.

8 hours ago, 2015 said:

He is a striker not an attacking midfielder

5 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

5 hours ago, 2015 said:

We are shoehorning him into the side. His best position is striker. His best spells in a City shirt have been as a striker. Play him in that position or not at all as he ineffective out wide or as a CAM.

Where on earth do you think he played for the majority of last season? As a striker it most definitely was not.

Difference this season is he was very effective behind Martin and Semenyo as opposed to Wells and Conway

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Where on earth do you think he played for the majority of last season? As a striker it most definitely was not.

Difference this season is he was very effective behind Martin and Semenyo as opposed to Wells and Conway

He isn't a deep-sitting midfielder, which is where he seems to be playing now. If you watch his goals, he's often leading the forward line rather than sitting behind Martin and Semenyo. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Super said:

What did people make of him last night? You can't fault his effort one bit but he really seems to be struggling. Nothing seems to be coming off for him, maybe he just needs a goal.

Thought he had a decent game, contributing in very different ways throughout the game.

First half, he found lots of pockets of space in a deep-inside-right position and we probed well from there…just let down by poor execution from others (mainly Sykes).

Second half, after we went 1-0 up, they started to get a bit more possession through their sub (Ledson - the chunky #18). Weimann, Semenyo and Conway as part of the  2-1-2 front 5 was getting stretched by Preston across the pitch as McCann and Brady found a way to make (what seemed like) an extra man.  We changed Weimann’s position to play alongside Williams, whilst Scott dropped into a true Holding-Midfielder role…and WBs pushed on a bit more.  So we ended up a bit more 3142 (rather than 3412).  You can see Weimann near Ledson (next to Stroud), whilst Sykes is ready to engage Fernandes should the ball switched onto that side.  Williams is on Whiteman.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f36d62cdec03c0a7f597df7a6b1bb2a.jpeg

Not the best picture, as it’s our throw-in!!  But it shows how we subtly change in-game, and how sometimes Weimann is making his contribution w/o the ball at times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Thought he had a decent game, contributing in very different ways throughout the game.

First half, he found lots of pockets of space in a deep-inside-right position and we probed well from there…just let down by poor execution from others (mainly Sykes).

Second half, after we went 1-0 up, they started to get a bit more possession through their sub (Ledson - the chunky #18). Weimann, Semenyo and Conway as part of the  2-1-2 front 5 was getting stretched by Preston across the pitch as McCann and Brady found a way to make (what seemed like) an extra man.  We changed Weimann’s position to play alongside Williams, whilst Scott dropped into a true Holding-Midfielder role…and WBs pushed on a bit more.  So we ended up a bit more 3142 (rather than 3412).  You can see Weimann near Ledson (next to Stroud), whilst Sykes is ready to engage Fernandes should the ball switched onto that side.  Williams is on Whiteman.

image.thumb.jpeg.1f36d62cdec03c0a7f597df7a6b1bb2a.jpeg

Not the best picture, as it’s our throw-in!!  But it shows how we subtly change in-game, and how sometimes Weimann is making his contribution w/o the ball at times.

Great post this. Something I never really look out for as I watch all our games on the telly now which follows the ball for the most part. 

If Andi does get rested I’d like to see Massengo tried in the AM role. With his energy I think he would do well when we engage the high press. He just needs to work on his delivery/final product with the ball IMO. Bit of a confidence player but then, aren’t they all.

Edited by real_bristol
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, real_bristol said:

Great post this. Something I never really look out for as I watch all our games on the telly now which follows the ball for the most part. 

That’s the frustrating thing for me about not going to away games, in that I only get the “third of a pitch” tv camera view…and you miss so much.

When I go to AG I take quite a few pics of shape throughout the game if I spot things.  You can’t do that as well on RTV.  I still take screenshots but it’s not as good a view.

• Like 1