IGNORED

Italy v England Rome 97

sticks 1969

Remember it well. Italian fans served water in plastic bottles which rained down on England fans for most of the game, England fans served in Polystyrene cups. Don't think the Carabinieri were expecting quite so many England fans and chaos ensued. Kept in cages after the game until gone 2am. A very tense night and a well deserved point.

This was one of two well controlled, last game qualifiers both 0-0 in about 6 years.

Turkey 2003, quite decent then they were, was literally on the same day 6 years on..Saturday 11th October, both were controlled and mature, strong tactical performances.

As for this particular game, I believe the full game is on YouTube though not checked if link works etc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DP10PUD5Ze1s&ved=2ahUKEwjrypO7-Nf6AhVFY8AKHVHSDcUQwqsBegQIAxAF&usg=AOvVaw3b-Cia1KU4Yzbuqa6ySkSp

I have better recollection of the 2003 one, age etc but if the link works, definitely going to watch this one at some point.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

37 minutes ago, Offside said:

I watched it in the White Hart in Brislington (sadly now derelict). It was a tense game and a gutsy performance from England. I hazily remember Ian Wright having a chance to win the game at one point. 

Butlins Minehead - Brislington FC annual trip there.  I’d left them by then, was out injured (Quelle Surprise), watched my mate play for Bath against Crawley (they’ve done well since) in the afternoon at Trumpton and hot-footed it to Minehead.  Was very sick the next day.

Going back to the Crawley match, Crawley equalised really late in the game, all ran over to their bench for big celebrations and as they were technically back in their half, Bath kicked off and scored (Ian Hedges rare goal). They went ballistic.  When we played Crawley in 14/15 the wheelchair section in the Atyeo was in front of the away fans and I got chatting to a fan about that game.  He was still raging about it! ?

From 1996 until WC in 1998 I think that was probably the strongest England side in my life time. Unfortunately Hoddle went off the rails after the World cup and started talking crap to the press and was done.
I think at that time he was in the middle of evolving the old guard (Shearer, Sheringham, Seaman, Adams, Pearce, Ince) into the so called 'Golden Generation' which unfortunately was not headed by him. We then made some awful Managerial decisions.

• Like 3

• Admin
7 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Think this is the right game. Bloke knocked on my door. Had to do something to your tv to pick up channel 5. I dont want it done i said. Musr have had a football top on cause he said, they are showing england vs italy, come on in i said

I can remember watching the last 15/20 minutes with practically no picture and just a hard snowy picture 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Oh Louie louie said:

Le tiss got 4, in a england b game, just before that wc, tel still never took him, thought he was treated harshly after the home game against them, nobody played great. And the italian defenders do what they do best in the first game. Frustrated us.

Probably cos Hoddle was the manager.

• Like 1

The only England away game I have attended, it was a great weekend except the amount of time we were kept in the ground after, 3 hours if I remember correctly.

It was the first time I had heard the “great escape” tune and always remember blokes whistling the tune as we were walking through the  airport on the Sunday, I believe it would be referred to as an “ear worm” these days.

It was the first big away game after euro 96 and probably the first away game for a lot of fans. I can still remember the shock on some of there faces at the way there were being treated by Italian fans and police . 

you knew it was going to be a rough night when the police drive by as we were going into Rome giving you the cut throat gesture….

got kept in for about 3 hours while they had music pumping out on the ground and then shoved on busses back into town 

brilliant and would not change it for the world 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, candygram for mongo said:

The only England away game I have attended, it was a great weekend except the amount of time we were kept in the ground after, 3 hours if I remember correctly.

It was the first time I had heard the “great escape” tune and always remember blokes whistling the tune as we were walking through the  airport on the Sunday, I believe it would be referred to as an “ear worm” these days.

Watching about 6000 fans stood marching to that tune was quite funny 

I watched this one at a Center Parcs in Holland on hols with an ex girlfriend. 
I left the doris in the swimming pool and went to find the match. 
Couldn’t find anywhere in the near area showing it on TV so ended up in a small cafe in Zeeland where the owner said he could put the Teletext on! 
Another lad on holiday and looking for the match, a Spurs fan, also came into the caf and joined me. 
We sat at a table in the middle of a small cafe, sipping a few beers, watching the Teletext page click over every 30 seconds or so. 
We sat, for the whole 90 minutes, rigidly affixed to this small tv, and watched absolutely NOTHING happen. 
0-0. On Teletext. And we were absolutely delighted, as we’d qualified. 
Little did I know, until I got back home to England a couple of days later, what drama there was in the final minute. 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, sticks 1969 said:

Not city related but 25 years ago today England got the point they needed to reach France 98 . I’m sure some of the old city faces where there . Great write up of the bbc football website 

England took an army.

The Italian OB wanted and looked for combattimento and got combattimento.

From thousands.

Was in a big group with the legend that was Beanie.

When a calmer head was needed to calm the ones without Bean was it.

Rome was not a place to be caught on your own.

It was the first big away game after euro 96 and probably the first away game for a lot of fans. I can still remember the shock on some of there faces at the way there were being treated by Italian fans and police . 

you knew it was going to be a rough night when the police drive by as we were going into Rome giving you the cut throat gesture….

got kept in for about 3 hours while they had music pumping out on the ground and then shoved on busses back into town 

brilliant and would not change it for the world 

I was there too and remember the 'cut throat' mime as if it was yesterday. I'm not sure any of the buses made it in one piece either as, even 3 hours after the game, the Italian ultras were still waiting.

After doing all of Italia '90, I expected the Italian police to be tougher but, if anything, they were worse!

Great English performance though and I remember Ian Wright going beserk in front of the English hordes.

I've no idea how many we had there but it was certainly more than the hosts expected. Any idea of numbers as they were saying what sounded like 'tres mille' (probably wrong after all these years) but if they were expecting 3000, whoops! ;)

Watching about 6000 fans stood marching to that tune was quite funny 

I always remember after the Tunisia game in Marseille in 98, walking through a subway, police either side and England fans whistling the great escape, a real memory 

especially ironic after the carnage that had occurred before the game 

None of this went on my postcard from the Vatican.
Went with a group from BS4. Half of us had tickets. Lively night before the game, met City lads before the game with Pompey and Chelsea. A lot hada no tickets.

Got the metro to some park near the stadium and it got very lively. Police went in with batons and lost control outside the stadium and England fans walked into the wrong end of the stadium no tickets no checks as the security had collapsed/abandoned what they were doing.

In the concourse the police pushed 1000+ into a part of the stadium that was empty to be met with missiles from the Italian fans. The police were itching to have a go and when England fans reacted to the missiles they charged into the top of the curva (end) and England fans went straight back at them. Anybody going down from the police batons was beaten on the ground which enraged the England fans more. One charge started when a City lad ran into the police dragged a Villa fan out who was on his back unconscious gettiinmg smashed by the police and the police swarmed all over him going for his head with batons as he fell and tried to carry aanthe unconscious bloke across the benches, England fans of course reacted by beating the police back. The City fan made the front pages of some papers.

That went on for ten to fifteen minutse till the police withdrew and the fighting stopped just like that no police no fighting.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Club and Country said:

I always remember after the Tunisia game in Marseille in 98, walking through a subway, police either side and England fans whistling the great escape, a real memory 

especially ironic after the carnage that had occurred before the game 

women chucking plant pots off their balconies at us always sticks in my memory from that game.

Edited by Jim Davey

8 hours ago, 2015 said:

From 1996 until WC in 1998 I think that was probably the strongest England side in my life time. Unfortunately Hoddle went off the rails after the World cup and started talking crap to the press and was done.
I think at that time he was in the middle of evolving the old guard (Shearer, Sheringham, Seaman, Adams, Pearce, Ince) into the so called 'Golden Generation' which unfortunately was not headed by him. We then made some awful Managerial decisions.

Yeah was a strange way to get sacked to say the least! I would argue your point on subsequent managers though Sven did a decent job (5-1 in Germany) following Keegans trainwreck and the 2004 Euro's in Portugal where if Portugal hadn't knobbled Rooney early I still think we would have won the whole thing.

It all went to shit after that for over a decade once the Wag culture and press hounding went into overdrive.

• Like 1

I was working in Exeter that weekend and a group of us watched it in a pub that was absolutely rammed. People were stood on chairs and tables to see the screens. 

When the game finished, the place just drained and the place looked like a bomb had hit it, broken furniture & glass everywhere - bet the landlord was really pleased they’d had the game on ?‍♂️

On 11/10/2022 at 10:20, sticks 1969 said:

Not city related but 25 years ago today England got the point they needed to reach France 98 . I’m sure some of the old city faces where there . Great write up of the bbc football website 

Bloody hell, time flies. I was in Linekers bar in Plays de las Americas on post tour leave. Started a manic two week holiday that did ??????