IGNORED

The Semenyo Conundrum…..

TomThumb84

I think there is a lot of comparisons being made here that are not on a like for like basis.

Whilst he has given away a few goals, Naismith makes a massive difference to our team going forward, building from the back and always being available with confidence on the ball (sometime over confident!).

Similar can be said for Matty James.

Put Semenyo on the pitch when they are both fit, I will think you’ll see a different player due to the team being more composed with that extra experience and comfort on the ball. 

Out problem is the depth…. We don’t control midfield without James, we don’t build from the back and look comfortable on the ball with out Naismith.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SouthS22 said:

It seems to me that Semenyo’s game is better matched with Martin’s, while Tommy and Nakhi play much better together as a pair.  Both pairs look to be better suited to different opponents.  Tommy and Nakhi seem to play better against good footballing sides who like to play out from the back, but they can get bullied by physical sides.  Martin and Semenyo are better against more physical sides who like to play longer.  Semenyo links well with Martin as a decent target man who links the play, especially with the threat of Weimann running in behind which creates space for him.  

I’d use them like that, with Semenyo available also to come in later in games against better ball playing sides to cause problems for tiring defenders.  That way he plays every game pretty much and we maximise his strengths.  

I'm not saying you're wrong or disagreeing with you but I don't understand your point. What difference does it make for the strikers if the opposition plays long balls going forward vs slow build up, possession based play? Sorry if this is a dumb question as I am not as tactically astute compared to others on here.

13 hours ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

I was in the minority in thinking that we should have sold him in the summer. 

I just felt the cash could have been used to improve the team in other areas where we are severely lacking. 

In my mind it was a simple equation. Would we be a better team with a new CB, new midfielder etc? or would we be better without those but with Semenyo in the team? and unfortunately however good Semenyo is, I think I'd rather of had the extra players. 

Did we have a bid in the summer?

20 hours ago, Leveller said:

To me, that cross was meant as a shot. And there have been several instances recently where he has wasted chances by blasting wide instead of considering teammates. Yesterday I thought he created but then wasted several opportunities.

He seems to be  currently    preferring power over placement?  Some of his crosses have been hit so hard that they have been almost impossible to convert?  And some shots are endangering the corner flags?    He has missed pre season and is playing catch up, but he is quality, and will come good..........but it is up to coaches like Euell to advise him and help him express  his undoubted talent? I am certain given a few more games he will be back to his best...........remember he is only 22, and needs guidance?   If i was coaching him, i would give him some breathing exercise's, (Amongst plenty of others!)    to allow him to relax, and not be so hyped up?     However....what do i know, i might be completely wrong.....Ha!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, maxjak said:

He seems to be  currently    preferring power over placement?  Some of his crosses have been hit so hard that they have been almost impossible to convert?  And some shots are endangering the corner flags?    He has missed pre season and is playing catch up, but he is quality, and will come good..........but it is up to coaches like Euell to advise him and help him express  his undoubted talent? I am certain given a few more games he will be back to his best...........remember he is only 22, and needs guidance?   If i was coaching him, i would give him some breathing exercise's, (Amongst plenty of others!)    to allow him to relax, and not be so hyped up?     However....what do i know, i might be completely wrong.....Ha!

Like a golfer, you can hit the ball just as far with a good, steady swing…the extra yards you get from trying to hit it hard aren’t worth the effort at the expense of accuracy.  Antoine generates more than enough power from “stroking it”…and if he gets back into form, he will realise this.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Like a golfer, you can hit the ball just as far with a good, steady swing…the extra yards you get from trying to hit it hard aren’t worth the effort at the expense of accuracy.  Antoine generates more than enough power from “stroking it”…and if he gets back into form, he will realise this.

I've heard that going too long without "stroking it" can result in heightened levels of tension and stress. Somebody get this man a nudie mag 

On 16/10/2022 at 16:45, miketh2nd said:

10 assists to his name last season and he was only playing from November.  He put in one of the best crosses of the game that was just a bit too fast for weimann. Other than Scott I don't see barely any of our players shoot outside from the box.

The service to the front two in the last 4/5 games has been poor no matter the combination . Especially compared to the start of the season.  

Tbf i was right in line with that cross and it was awful - not a single player had a chance of getting on the end of it 

On 16/10/2022 at 11:13, KernowRed said:

In my opinion he is a route one player and is not aware of other players. Take yesterday when thinking about other players he made the pass which resulted in the own goal for us.  If he thinks more periphally, we will get the goals, but if wishes to blast every shot then we will not get the results!

He is keen but a bit touchy when things dont go his way, needs to think a lot more.

He is absolutely aware of other players. He has provided plenty of excellent assists to show that.  He is just more confident in his own ability and wants to take shots on goals when he has the chance now rather than give responsibility to others.   Conway has done the same too.  It's what strikers do.  

Personally, I think he isn't fully match fit yet which is part of the problem.  

As for OPs original post, I don't know what the answer is either.  Other than I feel Chris Martin is less of a favourable option for me, especially as his lack of games means he's even more off the pace when used.  

6 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

Still no return to the partnership that saw us being touted as playoff contenders then!

Maybe there is a start-time agreement with Semenyo or building his value for Jan.

Tommy looks a bit out of touch, he’s having one of those periods break through players have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Tommy looks a bit out of touch, he’s having one of those periods break through players have. 

Maybe cause he has not had his chosen strike partner to guide him through.

Wells/Conway have both been vocal about their partnership on and off the pitch, and had the goals and assists to back it.

Feels to me like that partnership was given up on oddly swiftly.

59 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Agreed. 

I think he still looks very raw, but capable of improving. 

Certainly needs to regain the eye for goal that he showed at Salford. 

But, for the reported £300k, it's a good bit of business by West Brom. 

Same price they paid us for Bob Taylor!! 
30 years ago!