IGNORED

Matty James

Silvio Dante

1 minute ago, Silvio Dante said:

Someone has to start this.

We were top six before he got injured.

We’ve been poor since the break - when he was missing.

Today, he was filling all the gaps. Nothing spectacular but just there, available for a pass and blocking their play.

Vital. The stats show it. 

I think the fact we played 3 natural midfielders and left Weimann on the bench really helped.

I thought Williams, Scott and James had decent games and looked far more comfortable than when there is only 2 of them in the middle of the park

• Like 16
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I think the fact we played 3 natural midfielders and left Weimann on the bench really helped.

I thought Williams, Scott and James had decent games and looked far more comfortable than when there is only 2 of them in the middle of the park

Love wiemann as most of us do . We look so much more balanced in there with three orthodox midfielders though . 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

I think it’s related. We’ve got at this level 4 very good strikers (Weimann, Semenyo, Wells, Conway) and one good (Martin). The temptation has to be to get as many of them in the team as you can but if you do, it sometimes leaves you short elsewhere. Especially when Andi isn’t fully fit and can’t play midfield and attack at once.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Edgy Red said:

Maybe moving forward it’s a simple as 3 traditional midfielders against the better teams, and utilise a 10 against teams we ‘should’ beat? It looked miles better tonight but after the success we got from Andi/the 10 role last season it’d be hard to say goodbye!

• Like 2

Just now, steviestevieneville said:

Love wiemann as most of us do . We look so much more balanced in there with three orthodox midfielders though . 

100%  Weimann has been brilliant for us but he's not a central midfielder and doesn't look comfortable when the game is in front of him. Alex Scott has been crying out for some help in midfield and tonight he had it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

Today, he was filling all the gaps. Nothing spectacular but just there, available for a pass and blocking their play.

Every day of the week.

Read some idiot on here yesterday saying “he slows the play down”.

Just clueless, every good team has a player like that. He might only play 35 games a season but he’s absolutely vital for us.

• Like 6

Says it all that Pearson throws him straight in from the start. Says it all that our drop off in form in November last year was also the time he went off injured away at Brum. 

One of our most important players. As important, arguably maybe even more so at times, than Scott

Edited by petehinton
  • Like 7

10 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

As someone said in the match thread, people might not notice him much when he's there, but we sure as hell notice when he isn't.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

Shout out to Joe Williams , 3 starts in 6 days and looking stronger and better for it - starting to look what we hoped he would be

If he can get into a real run of games and availability levels are back towards the levels prior to joining us (Barnsley, Bolton Wigan, all sides with some robustness) he could be a very important player for us.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

If he can get into a real run of games and availability levels are back towards the levels prior to joining us (Barnsley, Bolton Wigan, all sides with some robustness) he could be a very important player for us.

Yes - he’s a player who needs to be fit , and fully fit , as his game largely relies upon it 

Was praising the staff who have been here last 12-18 months on RB (I assume he means Rennie & Co particularly and not so impressed with the previous staff)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I think it’s related. We’ve got at this level 4 very good strikers (Weimann, Semenyo, Wells, Conway) and one good (Martin). The temptation has to be to get as many of them in the team as you can but if you do, it sometimes leaves you short elsewhere. Especially when Andi isn’t fully fit and can’t play midfield and attack at once.

Agreed... Weimann is a really good player for us, but he's not a central midfielder and isn't comfortable when the game is ahead of him.

Nige made a big call tonight and it will be interesting to see whether he sticks with this line up at Reading.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've never really got the flak for James.

Experience, stability, technically sound. Glue that can hold the midfield together at times.

Same ilk as Skuse and Cisse for me.

People moan about output, but the unnoticeables as I call them, are vital. Marking, communication, anticipation, decision-making, and positioning

• Like 2

Been saying to my son for a few weeks (yeah, bore off Dad...) that Andi should either be pushed further forward, or replaced by Scott in the 10 role to allow two in behind him.  Preferably that would be James + 1, either Williams (who's looking better the more he plays regularly IMHO) or King, HNM etc. as it both balances the side better, and gives Scott the freedom to really impact the game without any real risk attached, plus we look far more solid.  I can see the logic of reverting to Scott playing deeper against certain teams, with Andi poised for the counter, but tonight's set up would be my default starting point with James as a guaranteed starter + 1 in behind, and loads of freshness/options up top.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Teams often do, in the modern game.

Weimann's time will come again, he'll definitely be needed- I've liked the idea of this potential midfield for some time now.

Don't spout such utter drivel man. You can't play Williams and James at the same time.... . Apparently...

• Haha 1

Made captain tonight…and I think he should retain that whoever else is in the team.

2 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Yes - he’s a player who needs to be fit , and fully fit , as his game largely relies upon it 

Was praising the staff who have been here last 12-18 months on RB (I assume he means Rennie & Co particularly and not so impressed with the previous staff)

Was a story (unsubstantiated) at one point that he was thinking of suing the club.  Probably complete bollocks, but would’ve been a huge criticism of the previous team.