IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

• Admin
27 minutes ago, Super said:

Seems to be going under the radar. Starts tomorrow for those that have been missing football. 

@shahanshahan are you going?

On 18/05/2023 at 14:15, shahanshahan said:

Hopefully I can pack some City shirts and my City/England flag while I'm there for 17 nights...

• Thanks 1
  • Robin 2

10 minutes ago, Ciderhead433 said:

Well done New Zealand

Good goal and a great result for them - but the match wasn’t a good advert for women’s football overall. If Norway are ranked 12th and there are 32 teams in the tournament, there are going to be some dire games.

Opening games are often unpredictable but a great start for the Ferns. I thought they had lots of energy and desire, despite their lowly ranking. The Norweigans on the other hand must be fearing 'Oh no, not again' - they looked out of sorts, without a solid gameplan, second best to the ball and disjointed until about the last ten minutes. However, it is only one game and there will be a response.

Overall I thought the game was pretty good for a tournament starter - seen many worse.

• Like 1

• Admin
32 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Could this catch on ? I think any communication would be good, explanation would be better, getting decisions right would top the lot.

I thought this was where it was being used first before being rolled out 

Though when she spoke it seemed too late, ideally let the crowd hear the discussion why a decision was made with VAR 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, phantom said:

I thought this was where it was being used first before being rolled out 

Though when she spoke it seemed too late, ideally let the crowd hear the discussion why a decision was made with VAR 

I only saw this in the Tweet, not watched a game yet. I will be looking out for it now though.
Totally agree about discussion, announcements are only slightly better than it is ATM. 

15 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

It should be just like it is in the NFL

I've no doubt that American Football has influenced FIFA and they are trying the idea out in the WWC. Note that in the NFL/college games every foul or infraction (or other administrative point) is announced, not just the contentious ones. It strikes me that just replaying the incident should be enough and any spoken comment might become superfluous, even patronising.

Another aspect of this competition is that the TV broadcasters seem to be withheld from replaying it to viewers, and am I right in thinking that the fans in the stadium don't see what the referees see too? That kind of control could look a touch shady. One thing is for certain, though, it won't speed the game up and the insistance of FIFA to add every minute lost will only get worse - especially if there are lots of VAR interventions.

Is this the shape of football to come? Has video officiating taken over from the actual game?

7 hours ago, Erithacus said:

I've no doubt that American Football has influenced FIFA and they are trying the idea out in the WWC. Note that in the NFL/college games every foul or infraction (or other administrative point) is announced, not just the contentious ones. It strikes me that just replaying the incident should be enough and any spoken comment might become superfluous, even patronising.

Another aspect of this competition is that the TV broadcasters seem to be withheld from replaying it to viewers, and am I right in thinking that the fans in the stadium don't see what the referees see too? That kind of control could look a touch shady. One thing is for certain, though, it won't speed the game up and the insistance of FIFA to add every minute lost will only get worse - especially if there are lots of VAR interventions.

Is this the shape of football to come? Has video officiating taken over from the actual game?

Yes, it's true that every penalty is announced in the NFL, which obviously isn't a route I'd want us to go down.

I meant more in terms of, whenever there is a review, they will give a brief explanation of the reasoning behind the decision.

So, something like this is needed, or just let us listen to the referee's discussions.