IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

The Lionesses have begun to bear their teeth! A first class performance in the first half.

England have clearly started to find their form and were imperious at time, playing all around the Chinese with ease. Good to see Millie Bright showing her best form again; Zelem on her maiden appearance was tidy and the set-up was slightly different to what we might have expected. It worked really well though.

We displayed some fluid football at times and the way the front players moved places and caused all sorts of headaches was impressive. But the way the goals went in (and a disallowed one!) was a joy to watch. Lauren James was almost too confident at times but is the joker in our pack.

Can we look forward to Nigeria in the R16 with more assurance? It won't be a surprise any more.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Harsh, but not sure the defender could be counted as deliberately playing that.

Not sure how it was offside by my understanding of the rule.

Original ball in didn't go to her when she was offside, as soon as it's played by someone else (and assuming she's now on side, which she was) it should be irrelevant.

Great finish though

I’ll never get justice for the two months I spent as a Covid prisoner at the hands of the state here…absolutely smashing them in a major world tournament is the best I’m gonna get, especially when sporting integrity means everything to them here. Nice one ladies!!!

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 1
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

Harsh, but not sure the defender could be counted as deliberately playing that.

Attempting to clear the ball by heading it is deliberate play. At this point Bronze is onside, and the incomplete clearance is irrelevant, the defender has deliberately attempted to head the ball clear.

• Like 1

A fabulous performance in the end by an England side that now looks the part of likely winners. Although China were not the force they were or had any real say in the contest, it was still the most impressive game so far.

I liked the way so many players seemed to be on the same page with their teammates and that was our strength throughout the match. Clearly they are happy with Weigman's philosophy and structures; the subs came on and took up the reins well, showing the strength and flexibility in depth. This is a really united squad and will be difficult to play against for a whole 90 minutes.

Fortunately there appears to be no serious knocks, so on to the knockouts. Momentum is building!

• Like 1

Sensational performance from England today. Scored 6 that counted, and quality goals too, plus one disallowed for offside. Only black spot was the penalty conceded and the harsh booking for Bronze as a result. 

Weigmann showed why she is, a world class coach with England's change of tactics and shape to cater for the loss of Keira Walsh. The double pivot of Georgia Stanway and Katie Zelem in front of a back 3 really worked, especially in the first half. It freed up so much space for James, Daley, Bronze, Russo and Hemp to move into. Every player was superb including each of the second half substitutes. 

China were poor and did nothing to change their shape to counteract England but that doesn't detract from the overall performance. Nigeria in the next round which I expect to be tough with their natural pace and power but bring it on! 

Oh! Apparently Chelsea have some young star called Reece James who is Lauren James brother. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

I’ll never get justice for the two months I spent as a Covid prisoner at the hands of the state here…absolutely smashing them in a major world tournament is the best I’m gonna get, especially when sporting integrity means everything to them here. Nice one ladies!!!

Hope they can't trace you via your VPN. They're vindictive barstewards arent they. And we don't have a Chinese business leader to exchange for you unlike the Canadians.

Not sure that sporting integrity and China should be mentioned in the same sentence.

• Like 1

Lauren James' goal for number 4 was absolutely wonderful, although there were some other absolute wondergoals in other games.

That China keeper is going to wake up screaming tonight, dreaming about number 5 ?

It is noticeable that in some games, it's all about size and power - witness Sweden vs Italy the other day, and the Netherlands vs Vietnam today - height, strength and power being used to the max.

Really loving this competition, some truly outstanding goals. There is, however, clearly a huge gulf in class between some teams, even at World Cup finals level. 

• Admin
1 hour ago, SecretSam said:

Reslly loving this competition, some truly outstanding goals. There is, however, clearly a huge gulf in class between some teams, even at World Cup finals level. 

I guess much of that is down to the ever expanding number of teams competing. 

What is refreshing is how sides are visibly improving and can only mean a good thing for the smaller nations 

It wasn't that long ago that many male international fixtures were very one sided 

It's certainly shaping up to be a cracking knock out phase - just a shame that Portuguese effort hit the post in injury time against USA 

I will say that I find this tournament on a clearly higher plane. Talent has been grown by almost every nation, even from the Euros. The standard of play is far better than ever, particularly the tempo. The physical side is also at its greatest emphasis. It's my suspicion that the foul count is also at a peak too, perhaps no coincidence.

Who are the favourites now? The USA are looking uncertain to many's surprise; France and Germany have not really picked up; Japan are perhaps the most impressive thus far; England are just beginning to show the real form - hopefully more to come. Moreover, the world has gained much more in terms of a sporting contest. Given there are a few trouncings, the undeniable feel of this World Cup is that there are no clear favourites and the 'usual suspects' are going to have to dig even deeper than ever to lift the trophy. There are no easy games in <Women's> international football!

• Like 1