IGNORED

FIFA 2023 Women's World Cup

phantom

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Because they are cocky (not so much the Aussie womens team tbf).

Much like the over-cocky South Africans (not just in sport in my experience) and the simple Americans.

We, on the other hand, are just arrogant.

Which is nice.

Australians are so quick to shout that England rugby/cricket/tiddlywinks team are hated by everyone, indeed England itself is hated universally, around the globe (like, in the parts of Northern Europe liberated by our Tommy's and allies in WW2, duh!), whilst seemingly oblivious to the widespread dislike of some of their sports teams.

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Because they are cocky (not so much the Aussie womens team tbf).

Much like the over-cocky South Africans (not just in sport in my experience) and the simple Americans.

We, on the other hand, are just arrogant.

Which is nice.

It's the speed with which the crowd changed that summed it up for me. Proper supporters see their team go 1 down and try to lift them to get back in the game. Those Aussie fans went straight into silent mode each time we took the lead. 

I also loved the amount of booing of England's slow build up to the first goal, a clear lack of understanding of how a team can create chances by changing the pace in a pass.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

It's the speed with which the crowd changed that summed it up for me. Proper supporters see their team go 1 down and try to lift them to get back in the game. Those Aussie fans went straight into silent mode each time we took the lead. 

I also loved the amount of booing of England's slow build up to the first goal, a clear lack of understanding of how a team can create chances by changing the pace in a pass.

Football isn’t that big a sport in Oz - Aussie rules and cricket are more popular. However the ‘soccer’ leagues down under are slowly improving but have always been at a disadvantage because of their geographical position with most of their best players move to Europe including England.

21 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

Australians are so quick to shout that England rugby/cricket/tiddlywinks team are hated by everyone, indeed England itself is hated universally, around the globe (like, in the parts of Northern Europe liberated by our Tommy's and allies in WW2, duh!), whilst seemingly oblivious to the widespread dislike of some of their sports teams.

I’ve never felt real hatred. However there is a metaphoric hatred of each others sports teams. I’ve never known a single fight because someone was English or Australian.

I really can’t say that about <insert country here> 

• Like 1

• Admin
1 hour ago, Super said:

Really? If Kerr score those 2 sitters at 1-2 it's a different game. Yes we deserved the win but to say it was straightforward is complete nonsense.

But she didn't.

What if ***, what if ****

Bottom line is we bossed the game. Kerr missed the sitter 

• Sad 1

• Admin
2 hours ago, elhombrecito said:

Why is it that all Australian sports teams are just so unlikeable?

I find Aussies to be like American's in their mentality towards sport

15 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I’ve never felt real hatred. However there is a metaphoric hatred of each others sports teams. I’ve never known a single fight because someone was English or Australian.

Have seen a few fisty cuffs at Rugby and Cricket internationals between the two sides - I think a lot of it is to do with their lack of sense of humour 

One of the worst was at Nevil Road a few years back

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

But she didn't.

What if ***, what if ****

Bottom line is we bossed the game. Kerr missed the sitter 

I'm not sure how many more times ffs. Yes we deserved the win all i said was it wasn't straight forward like somebody suggested. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Original OTIB said:

Brilliant, but just eff off sweet bloody caroline, worse than effin Irene. Just stop it, means eff all.

What's happened to 3 Lions being our song? Even World in motion ?

Cannot stand sweet caroline - belongs in Rugby.

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

I really can’t say that about <insert country here> 

We were wildly popular in Japan in 2002, our piazza square plastic-chair throwing "football lads" are reviled, of course, but the majority of us that are not triumphalist or thick jingoistic tossers are mostly well received. I was when I went abroad with Ing-ger-lund

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super said:

I'm not sure how many more times ffs. Yes we deserved the win all i said was it wasn't straight forward like somebody suggested. 

As semi finals go, that was about as straightforward as you could hope for. No pens, no extra-time, no one goal lead approaching 90 and clinging on, no red card, no tearful midfield maestro given a yellow which means he/she misses the final, no Germans, no nothing.

• Like 2

I would like to see England "getting more shots off" and not allowing Spain any shots from 20 yards, although hopefully they will refuse to shoot unless they are on 80% possession and have completed a thousand passes (yawn) and end up failing to "walk it" into Earpsie's net.

I'd also like to see a national search for six foot girls willing to go in goal and that we have a six footer between the sticks next tournament, although having said that, if Earpsie can get to it she's pretty bloomin good. No offence, Earpsie. It's that old Ronnie Sinclair thing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bristol Oil Services said:

I would like to see England "getting more shots off" and not allowing Spain any shots from 20 yards, although hopefully they will refuse to shoot unless they are on 80% possession and have completed a thousand passes (yawn) and end up failing to "walk it" into Earpsie's net.

I'd also like to see a national search for six foot girls willing to go in goal and that we have a six footer between the sticks next tournament, although having said that, if Earpsie can get to it she's pretty bloomin good. No offence, Earpsie. It's that old Ronnie Sinclair thing.

Karen Bardsley was 6ft.  Earps is superior in every footballing / goalkeeping way, imho.

Think keepers getting beaten by great shots like this is just part of the women’s game.  High long shots would be a definite instruction if it were me…against all keepers.

There are still a few people out there who refuse to embrace women’s football. After seeing that beauty of a game, they are certainly missing out. The England girls were fantastic. Professional, collected, clinical and defended as a unit. Very proud of them and I’m as excited for Sunday as I would be for any big game!

• Like 8

• Admin
2 hours ago, The Original OTIB said:

Brilliant, but just eff off sweet bloody caroline, worse than effin Irene. Just stop it, means eff all.

34 minutes ago, 2015 said:

What's happened to 3 Lions being our song? Even World in motion ?

Cannot stand sweet caroline - belongs in Rugby.

Sadly been associated with the Womens team for many years now.

They've never had any association with "3 Lions" but even the mens team don't really sing it much nowadays, it belongs in a different decade

Sweet Caroline really belongs at the cricket, it has been associated with the T20 finals day for decades, it was always a song played during the gap before the final

Could be worse, Sweden had selected ABBA to be played after they won

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Earps is superior in every footballing / goalkeeping way, imho.

Learnt her trade at Bristol Academy with Lauren Hemp, oh to have those two in the side this season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Erithacus said:

England triumphant! A World Cup Final awaits. A nation awaits.

Our midfield put in a better shift tonight and it helped to dictate the game for long periods. Ella Toone finally broke out and hit a great goal - just reward for some less obvious work and effort. This team can really get a grip on a game and with such ability to win posession, keep posession and make advances with a variety of different methods.

With a fairly comfortable first half and a lead, we couldn't keep Sam Kerr under control all game and she finished with a typical piece of magic. However, it was only one moment and she had two clear chances later that should have hit the net. We were a tad fortunate to conceed just the one - it could have been a much different narrative. Fine margins. Earps was alert enough to stop the one low, late effort and Carter was first to clear the loose ball. Another good performance by the defence.

I thought Lauren Hemp was immense tonight. We all knew she had speed and talent on the ball from her seasons at City but she has added a strength and physical application to her game. She's not the biggest but she can now mix it with most opponents - a Maradona-esque stature if you will. She was a great outlet, a constant threat all across the top line - particularly when in the middle with Russo - but can now close down and trouble the opposition when out of posession. That was how she picked the pocket of the covering defender for her goal, which came at a vital time. She was player of the match by a good margin.

So will Weigman keep the same starting eleven? She has the reuptation of not being the Tinkerwoman, but will Lauren James be reprieved? Spain are a tough nut to crack but will be watching us with concern. Get the plans for Sunday sorted immediately!

I didn't realise Hemp had played for us, amazing. I know Earps did, any others?

We are thrilled to have men alumni even appearing at a WC, but now we might have two actual winners.

After their struggles against Colombia, and faced by a tougher opponent backed by a partizan crowd, England put in a consummate, controlled and thoroughly professional performance.

The result was completely deserved.

Good luck in the final.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Karen Bardsley was 6ft.  Earps is superior in every footballing / goalkeeping way, imho.

Think keepers getting beaten by great shots like this is just part of the women’s game.  High long shots would be a definite instruction if it were me…against all keepers.

Yes, just what I've been thinking. England have conceded 3 goals in this tournament, I think (?), two of them sailing over Mary's head, neither of which are beating Max. Earpsie's great, if she can get a hand or foot to it. But at 5'8" (according to wiki) there's a lot of goal to aim at. It's worth some folks going down to their nearest pitch to remind themselves how big a goal is.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I find Aussies to be like American's in their mentality towards sport

Have seen a few fisty cuffs at Rugby and Cricket internationals between the two sides - I think a lot of it is to do with their lack of sense of humour 

One of the worst was at Nevil Road a few years back

Two country’s with some very deep seated alcohol problems I guess

Cheers!

• Like 1