IGNORED

Transfer values dropping for our players?

Major Isewater

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Yep, and look at what we paid out in fees and wages too…I don’t believe he was the great negotiator made out, just a market that looked favourable to him.  But if you look at the accounts…he overspent.  It’s there in black and white.

33 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Yes, and selling lloyd kelly wasn’t exactly miracle working, he was an exceptional talent. The list of signings under ashton though, with one or two exceptions was shocking,, he might have been a slippery customer to deal with, but had he overseen a decent transfer strategy he will have left with more goodwill than he has got.

My original post made it very clear that I wasn't talking about incomings, wages, fees or anything else. I take that point completely.

I'm not even saying he was necessarily brilliant - just that under him we did better than we've done before.

Of course it was obvious Lloyd Kelly was a talent. But that doesn't mean that the club necessarily extract maximum value from that talent by selling at exactly the right time and waiting for the right bid. In the past we'd have held on to him for longer, for example, and he'd have picked up an injury, or the pandemic reduced his value, or he fell out with a manager, or his contract ran out...all the kinds of things we managed with the likes of those examples above.

I'm not saying he sold useless players for ridiculous money - clearly Kelly, Kodjia, Reid, Webster, Brownhill were all talents attracting attention. But we did better in terms of getting maximum cash for them than we'd usually done in the past.

I dislike everything about Mark Ashton and the damage he did. I don't even like the fact that his only ambition was to sell at the time that made us the most profit and him the most kudos (and bonus) financially - as I've said above its possible that if we'd held onto Webster and Brownhill we'd have gone somewhere that season. But I don't think that can hide the fact that we've been a lot worse in the past than we were under him at that one thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Engvall’s Splinter said:

I think you have missed my point. The valuations our fans have set / spoken of are unrealistic (ie 20-25m). 

I would suggest we would get between 7-10m max for them (at a push) as you say with generous add ons. Majority of that fee would be based on potential. Semenyo is nowhere near consistent enough and Scott also has some way to go. 

How does one know what players are worth? Easy, it's that interested clubs offer. In Semenyo's case that was half what the optimistic fan valuations concluded (though we may now struggle to get even that mid season, particularly as all the '2 point conversion' merchants are going bust and Fifa show no inclination to increase the height of the crossbar to 40ft.)

Scott - of late the more he plays the further his value declines. Yes, I appreciate he's only a kid but he's showing himself to be somewhat a 'flat-track bully'. Lovely skills when in space and not under pressure, weak and hiding in plain sight during combative games. Young and confident he should be screaming for the ball to show what he can do. Saville last week put him in his place. Yesterday he was anonymously woeful. Wholly mysterious why Pearson didn't sub him first?

Conway hit the first team like a potential superstar in the making. Again he's a kid, but worrying last month all the good qualities he brought to the table appear to have dissipated. Strong & combative? Not the last few weeks. Pulling defenders around with his movement? I reckon he's been watching too much of Martin in training. Finding space in the box in tandem with Wells? Something's jamming their wavelength.

Richer Championship / relegation bound EPL clubs may buy them to dilute the strength of a rival squad, but like Bryan before they're Championship players and the days of silly money for those is sadly long gone.

21 hours ago, pongo88 said:

He scored 8 goals in 31 matches last season which is hardly a goal a game. (admittedly some were sub appearances). I’m not saying he’s a bad player, as he also provides lots of assists, just his value is not as high as some people say. 

You’re right his stats aren’t as good as a goal a game, I should have looked this up. He did score 1 in 3 in the 2nd half of last season and that was more my point, I think that’s where the hysteria came from. It took him ages to get going. 9 of his 12 assists last year were also in the 2nd half of the season. 

12 hours ago, real_bristol said:

You’re right his stats aren’t as good as a goal a game, I should have looked this up. He did score 1 in 3 in the 2nd half of last season and that was more my point, I think that’s where the hysteria came from. It took him ages to get going. 9 of his 12 assists last year were also in the 2nd half of the season. 

Yes, he returned from an injury last season too, worth remembering that. He came back in late November/early December 2021 iirc after a couple of early sub appearances pre injury?