IGNORED

Matt Smith’s dad article

Dr Balls

I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until I read a bit further down the article and realised that this was Matt Smith’s dad. And I hadn’t realised that both Matt’s father and grandfather had been both professional footballers and doctors, which is a pretty unusual combination in itself.

https://www.oldjoe.co.uk/article/two-goals-footballing-doctor

I trained with Chris Sutton’s brother who broke the family mould by not becoming a footballer, even though by all accounts he was at least as good as his brother. And the only other doctor who I can think of who was a professional footballer was that well-known Brazilian smoker Socrates. Didn’t seem to affect how he played though!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

I didn’t put 2 and 2 together until I read a bit further down the article and realised that this was Matt Smith’s dad. And I hadn’t realised that both Matt’s father and grandfather had been both professional footballers and doctors, which is a pretty unusual combination in itself.

I trained with Chris Sutton’s brother who broke the family mould by not becoming a footballer, even though by all accounts he was at least as good as his brother. And the only other doctor who I can think of who was a professional footballer was that well-known Brazilian smoker Socrates. Didn’t seem to affect how he played though!

Thanks for that.

A very nice article about a very nice man.

I was particularly interested to read about the lengthy educational and training period.

A friend of one of my daughters studied medicine, but unfortunately had to drop out after four years for medical health reasons, essentially stress.

He was a very good student (top grades in both school and university), but just couldn’t hack the stress of medical training and subsequent exams.

A great shame as, knowing his personality, I am sure he would have made a great GP.

10 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I sat and had a drink with Ian Smith this last summer. What a lovely guy and gentleman. Some fascinating stories of his career, football and medical. Spoke very highly of City and how his son enjoyed his time at the club. 

What a family, eh?

Very few make the grade as a professional sportsman & to do so in the medical arena is some achievement too.

To do both is really extra special. 

I rated his lad & thought he would have been a decent squad option after we won promotion & in hindsight when Cotts was aiming for the big names I still wonder whether a few signings like Matt might have served us (& him) far better.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What a family, eh?

Very few make the grade as a professional sportsman & to do so in the medical arena is some achievement too.

To do both is really extra special. 

I rated his lad & thought he would have been a decent squad option after we won promotion & in hindsight when Cotts was aiming for the big names I still wonder whether a few signings like Matt might have served us (& him) far better.

Yes

Albert Camus, Doctor of Philosophy and Nobel Prize winner was a goalkeeper who apparently was good enough to play at a higher level, but he contracted TB which forced him to give up sports.

It's something that's far more common in other sports, especially those that have their roots in Colleges and Universities. 

Some interesting football degrees here, if you can navigate your way through the ads.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/footballers-with-degrees-kompany-mata--10-players-who-went-to-university/196q7i1qbyhjs1nl24xafcdc80#cs36f0b6e8bd08be1e

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

Albert Camus, Doctor of Philosophy and Nobel Prize winner was a goalkeeper who apparently was good enough to play at a higher level, but he contracted TB which forced him to give up sports.

It's something that's far more common in other sports, especially those that have their roots in Colleges and Universities. 

Some interesting football degrees here, if you can navigate your way through the ads.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/footballers-with-degrees-kompany-mata--10-players-who-went-to-university/196q7i1qbyhjs1nl24xafcdc80#cs36f0b6e8bd08be1e

Have you ever read any of his works?

I (tried to) read some at school - very tough going.

3 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

The Plague, excellent. I must read some more!

I read The Plague some years later, after I had left school.

The book I read in school was L’Étranger (The Stranger), although, to be fair, when I read it again some years later, I found it far more enjoyable, although, of course, my French had improved.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

I don't know how many brothers Chris Sutton has, but his younger brother John played in the Scottish Premiership for a number of clubs, the biggest being Dundee.