IGNORED

Brighton fans - Really?

Red Skin

Booing Graham Potter.  Really?   This bloke got you playing decent football, established you as a solid top flight team, brought in a shed load of money from player sales.   I know we all love our team, but why would you begrudge him going on to further his career at a bigger club?   It's not as if he came through their own backroom coaches hierarchy is it?   They nicked it from Swansea FFS.  

• Like 5

I've had some fun debating this with Brighton fans, who keep changing their tune. The main arguments:

1. He sold his soul.

But I ask, did he sell his soul when he left Swansea?

2. That doesn't count because he made his reputation at Brighton.

No I say he did that with the amazing job he did at Ostersunds. Why didn't Brighton snap him up from there?

3. But he left Swansea in the close season so that doesn't count. He left Brighton after 6 games of this season, which is different.

No it isn't, managers don't control when job offers come up. And if you want a transfer window for managers you won't be able to sack a manager however bad the results are until the window opens.

4. Actually it's not really about Potter, Chelsea have taken his support staff, which isn't fair.

In most cases support staff follow managers around. Why should this be different for Potter?

5. Yes but they have poached our players too.

One actually, to the tune of £65m. Doesn't seem to have weakened them at all. If that's poaching Brighton are welcome to poach one of our young players for that much.

6. We are a well run club and Chelsea aren't.

Bit of a false equivalence but Brighton are indeed well run so why not trust them to manage the transition? They've already recruited a very good manager after all because their planning is so good.

As I say, great fun debating with fans who instead of celebrating a great win were still consumed with anger. It's only a game people!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Fair play to them nothing wrong with booing someone who was employed by your club then left because they got a better opportunity, we do it here at city every other game . 

No we don’t. I can’t think of any players we’ve boo’ed who has simply gone on to a bigger club with no other factors.

• Like 1

I probably wouldn’t have booed but no issue with it. The question I always ask is, what did they win/help win while at the club. Potter established them as a prem club and traded well and that’s very good, but didn’t win them anything (was it Hughton who won the Championship with them?).

Cotts won us two trophies and is therefore immortal in my eyes. LJ did a grand job of establishing us and play-off pushing but never truly achieved anything - like Potter. So if LJ rocked up with a new team, I wouldn’t judge if people booed.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

I've had some fun debating this with Brighton fans, who keep changing their tune. The main arguments:

1. He sold his soul.

But I ask, did he sell his soul when he left Swansea?

2. That doesn't count because he made his reputation at Brighton.

No I say he did that with the amazing job he did at Ostersunds. Why didn't Brighton snap him up from there?

3. But he left Swansea in the close season so that doesn't count. He left Brighton after 6 games of this season, which is different.

No it isn't, managers don't control when job offers come up. And if you want a transfer window for managers you won't be able to sack a manager however bad the results are until the window opens.

4. Actually it's not really about Potter, Chelsea have taken his support staff, which isn't fair.

In most cases support staff follow managers around. Why should this be different for Potter?

5. Yes but they have poached our players too.

One actually, to the tune of £65m. Doesn't seem to have weakened them at all. If that's poaching Brighton are welcome to poach one of our young players for that much.

6. We are a well run club and Chelsea aren't.

Bit of a false equivalence but Brighton are indeed well run so why not trust them to manage the transition? They've already recruited a very good manager after all because their planning is so good.

As I say, great fun debating with fans who instead of celebrating a great win were still consumed with anger. It's only a game people!?

And the same coaching staff they nicked from Swansea together with the analyst.

• Like 2

• Admin
1 hour ago, Red Skin said:

Booing Graham Potter.  Really?   This bloke got you playing decent football, established you as a solid top flight team, brought in a shed load of money from player sales.   I know we all love our team, but why would you begrudge him going on to further his career at a bigger club?   It's not as if he came through their own backroom coaches hierarchy is it?   They nicked it from Swansea FFS.  

He's ex Brighton 

No reason to support anything no longer connected to the club 

• Flames 1

1 minute ago, phantom said:

He's ex Brighton 

No reason to support anything no longer connected to the club 

True, but - personally - I never understand booing ex-players or managers unless they A) Messed us about/Left under contentious circumstances B) Slagged the club/city/supporters/accent off after leaving or C) Play for the Gas. 

• Like 3

Just now, Red Skin said:

He went there before Potter arrived didn't he?   

Yes but that doesn't seem to have registered with their fans. As I say they called it poaching. I call it a lucrative transfer that is benefiting Brighton more than Chelsea.

Chelsea fans are not impressed!

18 minutes ago, Red Shadow said:

Can't remember him playing for Rovers.

Rovers haven’t been proper rivals for years tbh . In mine and my mates lifetimes we can only remember playing them in the jpt 2-1 game . Until we start playing each other again Cardiff are our derby games , even Swindon have given us a derby in recent years .

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Rovers haven’t been proper rivals for years tbh . In mine and my mates lifetimes we can only remember playing them in the jpt 2-1 game . Until we start playing each other again Cardiff are our derby games , even Swindon have given us a derby in recent years .

Maybe it's an age thing. I couldn't give a flying **** how Cardiff are doing. As far as I'm concerned having watched City since 1967-68 and been at school with and worked with their lot, especially through the 1980's, and endured the 1990 title debacle, my feelings for Cardiff don't come anywhere close to how I absolutely despise the cesspit dwelling gaseous parasites. Their result is the only one I look for after ours. I want them relegated to non league asap, or to cease to exist. 

• Like 4
  • Flames 3

1 hour ago, Winterstoke toad said:

Cardiff will never be our main rivals.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Winterstoke toad said:

There is only one derby mate and it’s not Cardiff, Swansea or Swindon. I suppose those teams could be classified as rivals. We haven’t had a Bristol derby for years and I’m happy for it to stay that way. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

Maybe it's an age thing. I couldn't give a flying **** how Cardiff are doing. As far as I'm concerned having watched City since 1967-68 and been at school with and worked with their lot, especially through the 1980's, and endured the 1990 title debacle, my feelings for Cardiff don't come anywhere close to how I absolutely despise the cesspit dwelling gaseous parasites. Their result is the only one I look for after ours. I want them relegated to non league asap, or to cease to exist. 

Very well said. Pretty much my thoughts exactly having watched City since 1957 and am still to get over 1990. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

He is a Brighton fan as well as football finance and an interesting take, think his support significantly predates their move to Amex but could be wrong. 

He maybe right, maybe wrong but it's not a take I've seen elsewhere.

He is a lifelong fan I believe.

Judging by the abuse Potter got and is getting I'm not sure what he says represents all Brighton fans though. After all, if the issue is Boehly and they have no problem with Potter why even boo him at all?

Not one of Kieran's most objective comments then. Perhaps he should do a sentiment analysis of social media posts from Brighton fans to get a more accurate view??

• Like 2