IGNORED

Sky Interview with Nige

Davefevs

2 hours ago, Street red said:

Very lucky and a shame he wasn't here straight after cotts we could be in a far better position.

100%. I’ve said it so many times before but if Nige had the war chest dumb and dumber were allowed to spunk we would have experienced Prem football by now IMO.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, Bris Red said:

100%. I’ve said it so many times before but if Nige had the war chest dumb and dumber were allowed to spunk we would have experienced Prem football by now IMO.

I would also suggest that NP would have got a fair bit more out of some of the players we did sign, when we also had a lot more room to manoeuvre in the market. Combination of the two and things may well have panned out very differently.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, headhunter said:

Excellent interview and this paragraph summed up why as a club aren't where we should be:

“I just felt it was a nice club, nice people, nice this and that, lovely city. Everything was nice. We needed to be more street-wise, have more of a competitive edge to us. We can still be a welcoming club but we also need to be a club that other teams don’t like playing.”

I think there is another side to this as well. I have always thought there was a section of fans who are too close to the club and see it as "their club" I don't mean in the way most of the fans think of it, but almost like we are some little local league team, and that they should have some sort of say in how things are done. It's something that Harry Dolman referred to in his journals and I don't think it's really changed much. He said that there were complete outsiders turning up at Board Meetings, Harry had to almost become a dictator to get the club moving forward.

Of course we should have overall view of how things are progressing, but sometimes it feels that there are some who think the club should be run by and for them, and that's not how a professional football club works.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sheltons Army said:

Trying to guess who the member of staff with great knowledge who was surpressed under previous regimes but now flourishing .....

Alex Ball ?

Sean Gilhespy was my first thought. He's Head of Technical Recruitment. Under Ashton/Johnson that would have meant operating Ashton's database and checking who they wanted.

Under Pearson/Gould it could be a bit more? The fact we've not brought in a new recruitment chief suggests to me that Gilhespy is considered to be doing a very fine job.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

Enjoyed this “I just felt it was a nice club, nice people, nice this and that, lovely city. Everything was nice. We needed to be more street-wise, have more of a competitive edge to us. We can still be a welcoming club but we also need to be a club that other teams don’t like playing.”

As I’ve been saying for years ‘ Bristol Cosy Football Club’. 
Finally Lansdown has woken up.

I’ve nothing against kind decent people but Pearson talks of ‘ frauds ‘ and we have had too many paying lip service to the owner’s ambitions. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I’ve nothing against kind decent people but Pearson talks of ‘ frauds ‘ and we have had too many paying lip service to the owner’s ambitions. 

100%, and it’s something I’ve been criticised for saying down the years as well 

This club has always been a soft touch. Players came here for an easy life and a decent pay packet. It was no surprise very few went onto bigger things . players come here and had everything they wanted and needed 

As Pearson says. Everything here is ‘nice’. Nice facilities, nice City, nice nightlife etc 

Finally hope we have moved away from the jobs for the boys mentally too . Always found it weird how when a player retires who is liked, fans want to see them given a job . I even seen some people on here talking about Baker becoming coach! 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

Interesting article. Some of the quotes are from the Fans Forum, or at least the author clearly watched that as well as interviewing Pearson directly. If you've watched the Fans Forum then there's not too much truly new here.

One bit interested me though: “You need a couple who are – not wrong uns – but highly strung ones. You need mavericks.” An Anthony Knockaert? A Riyad Mahrez? “A Jamie Vardy,” he adds. “Otherwise, it is boring.

Do we have a Knockaert, Mahrez or Vardy type? From a personality side maybe Kalas? From a skill/flair side maybe..Scott? But no he's not really fitting that bill for me.

Is this something we're missing in order to get to that next level?

Maybe things would be different if he had the money that was spent over the last 5 years, but i would look back at the comments in the forum last week about why we struggle to compete against the physical teams like millwall or birmingham… the obvious answer is because we dont have many tall players which is what he said. No one called him out on it, but why dont we have some players who can stand up to birmingham away? He signed sykes, wilson, naismith, extended king  and klose and brought in james and bajic. Would any of those stand up to a motivated troy deeney? Could pring have stood up to them better than Dasilva? Probably. Does tanner like a tackle? Definitely, but has barely gotten a chance.
The division is very close this season, a team on a good run of form could be at the top in a few weeks, but we still have the soft under belly and despite a dozen or so new players that hasnt heen addressed.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

i'm not sure how much Lansdown has 'woken up' rather he's got lucky.

Pearson definately has his own vision and is a capable manager who must recognise Lansdowns blindspots along with other people.

It was a hugely encouraging interview,

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Maybe things would be different if he had the money that was spent over the last 5 years, but i would look back at the comments in the forum last week about why we struggle to compete against the physical teams like millwall or birmingham… the obvious answer is because we dont have many tall players which is what he said. No one called him out on it, but why dont we have some players who can stand up to birmingham away? He signed sykes, wilson, naismith, extended king  and klose and brought in james and bajic. Would any of those stand up to a motivated troy deeney? Could pring have stood up to them better than Dasilva? Probably. Does tanner like a tackle? Definitely, but has barely gotten a chance.
The division is very close this season, a team on a good run of form could be at the top in a few weeks, but we still have the soft under belly and despite a dozen or so new players that hasnt heen addressed.

It’s been addressed. It has yet to be satisfactorily resolved.

(That’s not mere pedantry just for the sake of it, by the way. I’m saying NP is well aware of it and has spoken about it numerous times. He either doesn’t yet have the players who can provide the required physicality and aggression, or he’s not succeeded in consistently bringing out those qualities in the players that are here, but he certainly recognises it and is clearly frustrated by it.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Antman said:

i'm not sure how much Lansdown has 'woken up' rather he's got lucky.

Pearson definately has his own vision and is a capable manager who must recognise Lansdowns blindspots along with other people.

It was a hugely encouraging interview,

Pearson is the only manager i remember who has almost called the owners out when he had that dig at J Lansdown, not heard a thing from JL since 

• Haha 2
  • Flames 2

7 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

I think there is another side to this as well. I have always thought there was a section of fans who are too close to the club and see it as "their club" I don't mean in the way most of the fans think of it, but almost like we are some little local league team, and that they should have some sort of say in how things are done. It's something that Harry Dolman referred to in his journals and I don't think it's really changed much. He said that there were complete outsiders turning up at Board Meetings, Harry had to almost become a dictator to get the club moving forward.

Of course we should have overall view of how things are progressing, but sometimes it feels that there are some who think the club should be run by and for them, and that's not how a professional football club works.

Oh so true!

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

why dont we have some players who can stand up to birmingham away?

You can’t just buy a certain type of player, drop them into the team and expect success. You need to move the squad as a whole over time. To use a clumsy analogy, it’s like getting a cricket ball to swing.  It doesn’t happen straight away, you’ve got to put the work it and shape it.

The next question is: do we really want to be playing a big, physical style of football?

6 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

You can’t just buy a certain type of player, drop them into the team and expect success. You need to move the squad as a whole over time. To use a clumsy analogy, it’s like getting a cricket ball to swing.  It doesn’t happen straight away, you’ve got to put the work it and shape it.

The next question is: do we really want to be playing a big, physical style of football?

Finding the big athletes that can also play, you're right, that's the hardest. It doesn't have to be that way though, Scott is a good example of a player who uses his physicality well, he might be smaller but he has worked out that if you hit someone in the right place it can be just as effective, the much maligned Dasilva is similar. Then you have the gentle giants like Taylor Moore.

Some of the others need to watch or try some judo.

• Like 1

I think next season really will be the true test of the cultural changes made over the last 2 years.  The ship has been steadied and the course changed, what we need is to bring in some strong recruits in key positions to take us up a notch, fingers crossed, I don't know how it will go, but next season feels to me like the time!

32 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

try some judo

In a thread about a very good interview, you’ve just given me flashbacks to LJ claiming he made Massengo by getting him to do Judo (like he did).

Regardless of what people think of Nige’s attitude towards the press, they have to admit it’s a whole lot better than Lee’s.

11 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think next season really will be the true test of the cultural changes made over the last 2 years.  The ship has been steadied and the course changed, what we need is to bring in some strong recruits in key positions to take us up a notch, fingers crossed, I don't know how it will go, but next season feels to me like the time!

Putting aside on pitch evolvement, I think probably more important we continue to build a football club with the supporting departments as excellent in their performance as we always hope the players will be

We need to build a sustainable club, not in terms of finances (Although we need to continue to address this , although I cannot see us ever sustainable without owner backing) , but in terms of a football club that has the efficient infrastructure to , at an excellent level , support and provide for the manager / players who are to come in the future

The post Pearson appointment will be absolutely vital , IMHO , for the potential or otherwise of the Club for the next decade or so 

The more we can do to prepare for that important ‘transition’ the better 

Edited by Sheltons Army
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

100%, and it’s something I’ve been criticised for saying down the years as well 

This club has always been a soft touch. Players came here for an easy life and a decent pay packet. It was no surprise very few went onto bigger things . players come here and had everything they wanted and needed 

As Pearson says. Everything here is ‘nice’. Nice facilities, nice City, nice nightlife etc 

Finally hope we have moved away from the jobs for the boys mentally too . Always found it weird how when a player retires who is liked, fans want to see them given a job . I even seen some people on here talking about Baker becoming coach! 

I always thought that we were a yo-yo club as a result. Signed players in lg1 because we were a big club, attractive, could pay better wages than most, but then those players could not step up, had no need to step up in their wages.

That’s a big generalisation but it’s how I felt.

We do have done Champ stability currently and we are back moving in the right direction. 

2 hours ago, Simon bristol said:

It’s an evolving process.  Atkinson was the big, strong signing, but cost us £1.6m!!!

The first part of addressing it is identifying it, which has been done. From the scouting group stuff power and pace is high up the list of needs, but so is technical ability.  I think recruitment can be improved, but with no money, the pond is pretty dry. It’s a compromise at the mo’.

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

Pearson is the only manager i remember who has almost called the owners out when he had that dig at J Lansdown, not heard a thing from JL since 

Yep, Chairman in name only because it’s daddy’s money. Fever Pitch is his baby, and he should stick to that. Nige put him in his place. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCity said:

Indeed. It’s getting the balance of power, strength with the technical ability, and unless we pick up a nugget on a free or from Lg1/2, they tend to cost £££s!

18 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Definitely the opportunity to further evolve the squad, but also mindful might take time to gel and the off mistake too. 

34 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

In a thread about a very good interview, you’ve just given me flashbacks to LJ claiming he made Massengo by getting him to do Judo (like he did).

Regardless of what people think of Nige’s attitude towards the press, they have to admit it’s a whole lot better than Lee’s.

Claiming he made him, may have been a step to far if he said it, but recognising that there are skills in other sports that can help yours is no big thing. I remember Frank Bruno's coach saying if he could get him to use his legs as well as his arms that the first 3 rows of the crowd would be in danger. He took him to golf tournaments to show him how smaller men can hit long distances by using their whole body. 

Their are lots of other examples as well.