IGNORED

Italia 90 : When football changed forever

phantom

• Admin

Interesting program on Ch4 last night, showing the build up to Italia '90 and the problem with England fans at home and abroad

I know many on here would have been out in Sardinia etc for the tournament

Some really interesting footage and stories about football back in those days

Two more episodes to go

Started watching it earlier.

My first World Cup as a “worker”…Euro 88 was during my A Levels and WC86 was O Levels.

Funny little memories of being on a work booze cruise for the opening game to find out Cameroon had beaten Argentina, watching Germany v Yugoslavia in the Full Moon at Stokes Croft.  Imperial Ground for the QF v Cameroon and then playing football outside on the cricket pitch outfield til the early hours.

5 hours ago, Taunton_BCFC said:

not surely why they kept going back to 84/85 tho!

Presumably as that was when football was seen as being at an extremely low ebb.

Within a couple of months there was Heysel, Bradford fire and Birmingham v Leeds  wall collapsed.

Thereafter things improved, they could only get better tbh- attendances nationally would also have been at record lows or in that ballpark.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2008/nov/27/scott-murray-85-86-football-season

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

I’ve watched the whole documentary which I thought was decent, but I thought the one thing they missed, which was not to do with the football itself, was just how stylish the presentation was, and how the culture of football was changed.  The use of Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma gave football an image which encouraged new people to watch the game, and the whole package was very Italian and very stylish.  It helped make football acceptable in a new way.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MC RISK77 said:

Watched it and thought it was decent- was too young to be aware of a lot of the political back drop before the tournament so thought it provided some good context around that.

As a child I loved the 80s- looks a bitch of a decade to live through if you were an adult though

Being a city fan early 80s was definitely a bitch MC.... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The use of Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma gave football an image which encouraged new people to watch the game, and the whole package was very Italian and very stylish.  It helped make football acceptable in a new way.

Really? Not Sky TV a couple of years later? I'd say Gazza's tears and England getting to the semis and coming back heroes and Gazza with his tits oot on top the bus turnt England at summer tournaments into a big event here. 

I know a few people (well, our old mum and her friend) who saw Pavarotti in 1990 on the telly and then went to see, er, Pavarotti and his two pals singing in London, but they weren’t tempted down AG.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I’ve watched the whole documentary which I thought was decent, but I thought the one thing they missed, which was not to do with the football itself, was just how stylish the presentation was, and how the culture of football was changed.  The use of Pavarotti singing Nessun Dorma gave football an image which encouraged new people to watch the game, and the whole package was very Italian and very stylish.  It helped make football acceptable in a new way.

Same here. I was just newly married at the time. Got married way too young. However...we both enjoyed the presentation. It still sends shivers. People who weren't interested in football, watched it.  Going to Italian restaurants for the first time in Bristol, drinking Italian wine together. My love for all things Italian probably started here.

For some nostalgia.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, MC RISK77 said:

Watched it and thought it was decent- was too young to be aware of a lot of the political back drop before the tournament so thought it provided some good context around that.

As a child I loved the 80s- looks a bitch of a decade to live through if you were an adult though

My memories of being a child of the 80’s is lots of tech that looked nice but didn’t really work and a string of disasters from the middle of the decade 

On 01/11/2022 at 13:21, phantom said:

Interesting program on Ch4 last night, showing the build up to Italia '90 and the problem with England fans at home and abroad

I know many on here would have been out in Sardinia etc for the tournament

Some really interesting footage and stories about football back in those days

Two more episodes to go

I have seen so many docs on Italia 90 but this one seems to be a bit different, loved the Peter Beardsley “new order” rap ?

Good doc, and focussed more on the fan side of things rather than the games which was a different angle to the many many other docs on Italia 90.  This was the first proper tournament I remember.  I had the Mexico 86 sticker album but can't remember the games, but Italia 90 I remember trying to recreate the David Platt volley in my garden in the dark after watching the game!

5 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Good doc, and focussed more on the fan side of things rather than the games which was a different angle to the many many other docs on Italia 90.  This was the first proper tournament I remember.  I had the Mexico 86 sticker album but can't remember the games, but Italia 90 I remember trying to recreate the David Platt volley in my garden in the dark after watching the game!

I was at the Bologna game with a few City and saw that Platt volley. Probably one of the best moments watching football in my lifetime. Italia 90 has to be one of the best world cups ever. Everything about it was just insane. England fans reputation, the Press ganging up against England, Moynihan, then the Press loving England. We caught the overnight choo choo to Bologna and still feel privileged to have witnessed a World Cup. Would recommend it to anyone wanting to follow the national team.
Great laugh guaranteed with experiences you will take to the grave. Loved it.

Gazza below running to the England fans at the final whistle v Belgium after the Platt worldy. Gazza was probably the best player I ever saw in an England shirt.

0C079946-6DF6-4137-A865-61C421D5033F.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Flames 1