IGNORED

Referees

frenchred

Last night's ref was a shambles, all those that berated Andre Marriner I hope you now undsrstand what a bad ref is! 

However, we didn't lose this game or any other because of the ref no matter how frustrated they make us, we lose games due to crap defending, uncertain goalkeeping, failing to take chances, crap team selections and substitutions. 

We might as well give up on the officials and concentrate on what can be done about our own shortcomings. 

Pearson needs to ship up or ship out cause at the moment it ain't working, although playing well, and I thought the first half last night was excellent its a results driven industry and his are appaling. The lack of a plan b is most worrying and his reactive management during a game is terrible, sometimes a pro active management is needed and he doesn't appear to have this in his locker 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Last night's ref was a shambles, all those that berated Andre Marriner I hope you now undsrstand what a bad ref is!

I got my stopwatch put this morning!

However, we didn't lose this game or any other because of the ref no matter how frustrated they make us, we lose games due to crap defending, uncertain goalkeeping, failing to take chances, crap team selections and substitutions. 

We might as well give up on the officials and concentrate on what can be done about our own shortcomings. 

Pearson needs to ship up or ship out cause at the moment it ain't working, although playing well, and I thought the first half last night was excellent its a results driven industry and his are appaling. The lack of a plan b is most worrying and his reactive management during a game is terrible, sometimes a pro active management is needed and he doesn't appear to have this in his locker

the comment about plan b really confuses me, because according to many posters last night, bringing on Chris Martin and playing a bit more direct as a plan b makes him the devil incarnate, and was the reason we lost.  According to those posters we lost momentum.  I’ve just watched back those last 19m55s, and we tried to mix it up a bit.  Momentum wasn’t lost by changing up our way of playing but Sheffield United’s shithousery.  Players going down injured so that their teammates could get a breather, taking ages over goal-kicks and throw-ins, etc. Aided by a ref who in the second half allowed the game to get out of control.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, frenchred said:

This is a little harsh. 

We had a makeshift back 3 without really a natural cb in it. They made one mistake the whole game against a top 3 side. I don't think we can be too harsh. 

• Like 6

Thinking about this objectively, officials only get one look at it. The ref would have been consciously aware that the game was live on Sky. Sheffield are a big club. I can see why he maybe wouldn't give a red to them or the offside if they wasn't sure. 

Officials need help. We can all sit in the stands and watch replays instantly on our phones or in the concourses. Refs in the Championship don't. They get one look at it. 

7 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

It annoys the hell out of me when referees chase after a player, who has walked away from a bad tackle, to show him a yellow card.

Just make him walk back to you and show him who's in charge.

Ref made Alex Scott come to him, after Scott ignored him a few times.

Egan ignores him several times, he runs towards him.

PL v EFL recent history in a nutshell.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

How many times did he stop play and run to one of their players who had gone down to clearly waste time.....and immediately call for the trainers to come on?

Neil Warnock may just as well have been in the dugout...

• Like 2

You're wrong: we lost some games mainly because of the refs, and saying it doesn't make a supporter less objective. 

Blades did almost nothing and had one player saved from a red, one goal saved by a foul/offside and one penalty claim ignored (soft or not it remains a crucial call). Playing badly and making mistakes can still make you win if the key decisions go against the other team; the way you play doesn't justify unbalanced refereeings.

If we had scored in the first half and then be punished by two joke penalties for them (realistic possibility), would it be still City's fault?

Gift us a joke penalty in the first 10 minutes against Birmingham, Reading etc. and then let's see what happens in those matches...

You could be a rock in defence and still be punished with a joke penalty, being more clinical but seeing a goal ruled out for an offside that doesn't exist, etc  Team and manager have to try their best to beat their opponents, but can't control refereeings...and too many supporters forget this simple thing.

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, W-S-M Seagull said:

This is a little harsh. 

We had a makeshift back 3 without really a natural cb in it. They made one mistake the whole game against a top 3 side. I don't think we can be too harsh. 

Totally agree with you mate, I thought we played really well last night, just the one mistake was enough but it's happened in loads of games this season, being highlighted now as our goals have slowed down recently 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

⬆️⬆️⬆️

On the additional time, completely agree Dave. With the slightly less sophisticated help of the stadium clock I noted the time taken by the three “injuries” of SU players starting with the keeper, and the Williams injury. That came to over 5 minutes. Add 2 mins for subs (4 stoppages at 30 secs each). 8 minutes therefore adds an extra 30 secs at most for other earlier stoppages and for all the time wasting when he pointed ostentatiously at his watch (how I hate refs who do that - you just know they’re not going to add it on).

On the disruption to the flow and pattern of the game, got to disagree. Yes the SU shithousery was a factor ; that was their game plan. Yes the ref didn’t help. But Instill felt that bringing on Martin played into their hands because it meant that we contributed to it too. The two/three things aren’t mutually exclusive. The shithousery and the ref made it harder for us, but I felt we were still able to play our game in spells despite that. The changes made it harder for ourselves.

I used to get Martin. And this isn’t just about knocking him; he’s done a job in the past and although it’s less pretty what he’s brought has at times been effective. I’m afraid that on the basis of the past few games I don’t get it any longer. I thought he was woeful last night. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

On the whole I agree that there tends to be that bias, but for this isolated case you also have to take the timing of the two bookings into question. The Egan booking is in the last 10 minutes of a game that the home team is chasing. If the referee makes a point waiting and making Egan come to him and this process takes time, then the home fans are going to get restless. The ref wants to get the game going quickly to avoid the crowd getting on his back so decides to run after Egan to get the booking out the way and the game started again. In this exact case it doesn't make any difference as Williams is injured requiring treatment (for a tackle that the ref has completely missed). 

It was like we had two different refs out there last night.  First half, he was trying to keep the game flowing, and avoiding becoming the centre of attention.  Second half he just had no control over it.  Going a goal ahead early in the second half unleashed a touch of the Warnocks in them, and the referee ate it up in spades.  The time wasting was so obvious and all a ref has to do it book someone for it early and then another caution every time and it would soon stop it happening.  Instead he just allowed them to carry on - even enabling it by allowing the player going off to cross to the other side of the pitch instead of going around the Dolman and South Stand. This all meant that we weren't able to command the sort of momentum we had throughout the first 45.  Add to that the impression that his contact lenses had fallen out rendering him half blind and that second half is the result. 

His management of the game, or rather lack of, was a massive factor in the defeat last night.  It of course wasn't the only factor.  Defensive lapse again for a really poor goal - irrespective of whether or not Sharp was offside.  The guy was 1) unmarked at the back stick and 2) the ball floated right through the six yard box and past Max on the way.  And the fact that we just couldn't get the goal that our display richly deserved.  

Edited by Steve Watts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, terpin said:

On the whole I agree that there tends to be that bias, but for this isolated case you also have to take the timing of the two bookings into question. The Egan booking is in the last 10 minutes of a game that the home team is chasing. If the referee makes a point waiting and making Egan come to him and this process takes time, then the home fans are going to get restless. The ref wants to get the game going quickly to avoid the crowd getting on his back so decides to run after Egan to get the booking out the way and the game started again. In this exact case it doesn't make any difference as Williams is injured requiring treatment (for a tackle that the ref has completely missed). 

Book him for the foul, then book him again.  Off you go.  That’s the answer.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, frenchred said:

Er.......what does that even mean ?       Just how does NP SHIP up  ?

• Like 1

Why the hell did he stop the game for someone to get cramp treated? It’s so simple, hobble off and get the physio to deal with it, don’t stop the game. It’s genuinely stopping cos the lad isn’t fit enough, insanity. 

As other have said - he lost control of the game which was exactly what Sheff wanted, he was spineless. No doubt apology is pending. 

My gripe is that we just don’t do enough to influence weak refs ourselves. We play victim, when we need to learn how to manipulate spineless weasels like last nights ref. 

• Like 3
  • Flames 2

9 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

It annoys the hell out of me when referees chase after a player, who has walked away from a bad tackle, to show him a yellow card.

Just make him walk back to you and show him who's in charge.

Agree. The ref should just stop ,and wait for the player come to him. If he doesn't, show him a yellow, then red . Rugby players look scared when they get a telling off ? 

• Like 2

Why don't they give the player 1 yellow for the foul and 2nd yellow for dissent as you say? All depends on the team of course.

Weimann's had a few yellows for dissent, didn't see any for the Sheffield players!

14 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

Agree. The ref should just stop ,and wait for the player come to him. If he doesn't, show him a yellow, then red . Rugby players look scared when they get a telling off ? 

The Referee's concentration levels were all over the place, he became flustered and started to become manipulated by the Utd players who rightly perceived he was of weak character, and could be taken advantage of?  I appreciate that refereeing is a difficult job, but if you are not up to the task, you should not be there?   If I was an assessor sitting in the stand, i would have serious doubts about Steve Martin's ability to control a football game?   Do these incompetent weak willed individuals have to show some responsibility for their actions?, Which ultimately have huge repercussions  for teams and players?   I realise i am being extremely harsh, and refs are only human, and prone to human error, but some decisions on occasions are hard to conceive of, like  the offside goal and the appalling Norwood assault that took place.

Surely the answer is that.............. they need some help?, and VAR should be introduced in the Championship ASAP?  With all the huge amounts of money sloshing around in football, surely a form of VAR can be implemented, and if not............Why Not?