IGNORED

Some fans paid to go to Qatar...but there's a catch.

Mr Popodopolous

Not just England btw, saw elsewhere it mentioned the Dutch and I think all 32 as well.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/england-fans-paid-to-be-spies-at-world-cup-nt803jx23

Seems like some rather blatant sportswashing, we know certain projects have been anyway, this WC too but fairly blatant this.

Denials that they have strict obligations from the Qatari end, should point out for balance.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not just England btw, mentioned the Dutch and I think all 32 as well.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/england-fans-paid-to-be-spies-at-world-cup-nt803jx23

Seems like some rather blatant sportswashing, we know certain projects have been anyway, this WC too but fairly blatant this.

Good grief! 

Let's hope they spoil their (Fan Leader Programme) party…

What will they do if they don't follow instructions? Sent to the tower?

Cary Elwes Eye Roll GIF

IMHO, This forthcoming WC should never have been Allowed or Authorised.  It is a permanent stain of corruption on FIFA (if there is any room left for any more stains)?, and i will never understand why various countries FA'S have not protested more, regarding Human Right's abuse's,    and objected to it taking place In Qatar, and in November/December?  Football - "The People's Game"   Is a Big Fat Joke of a Misnomer?   ???    '          

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, maxjak said:

IMHO, This forthcoming WC should never have been Allowed or Authorised.  It is a permanent stain of corruption on FIFA (if there is any room left for any more stains)?, and i will never understand why various countries FA'S have not protested more, regarding Human Right's abuse's,    and objected to it taking place In Qatar, and in November/December?  Football - "The People's Game"   Is a Big Fat Joke of a Misnomer?   ???    '          

Agree with all that.What is equally disappointing is that no players from any of the countries that have qualified has turned and stated that they are not available for selection.

Not a surprise but still shameful.

• Like 4

The time for action should have been immediately after Blatter and the corrupt shower of fellow travellers alongside him were charged in the US courts. I accept that it was almost certainly too late to prevent the 2018 world cup from going ahead in Russia but they had more than enough time to stop Qatar from going ahead.

I hope those fans who take part in the sportwashing of this farce get their just karma.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

4 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Never mind..........what a feast of football, for the opening game?   Qatar v Ecuador..........they don't come much bigger? ...(Not Bigger than the stack of migrant worker coffins, though?)

But Southgate has spoken to the migrant workers and they've told him they love football and want the tournament to go ahead so its fiiiiiine.

Blatter wasn't actually charged pertaining to Qatar just to point out, kinda important legally!! @Midlands Robin

Many of his Executive Committee were charged over a host of issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case

He, along with Platini was charged over a loyalty Wiki says disloyal payment to Platini but massively pre-dating Qatar, late 1990s, early 2000's kinda thing. Found not guilty of this but the Swiss prosecutors are appealing.

Seems to me though that for a lot of them so far, the "Gotcha!" moment was T.V. rights issues rather than awarding the WC to Qatar!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Never mind..........what a feast of football, for the opening game?   Qatar v Ecuador..........they don't come much bigger? ...(Not Bigger than the stack of migrant worker coffins, though?)

What are the odds on the hosts being awarded a dubious penalty in this one? Gets them off to a decent start.

Minor country opposition who have absolutely no clout in FIFA.

Not much more than evens, I’d say.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

What are the odds on the hosts being awarded a dubious penalty in this one? Gets them off to a decent start.

Minor country opposition who have absolutely no clout in FIFA.

Not much more than evens, I’d say.

My first bet of the world cup will be Qatar 1  Ecuador 0............?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DaveF said:

But Southgate has spoken to the migrant workers and they've told him they love football and want the tournament to go ahead so its fiiiiiine.

Yep..........you can just imagine that the workers paraded in front of Southgate were handpicked........and were told if they wished to complete their contracts, it would be best to say the right things to nice Mr Southgate?  Cynical, me?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Blatter wasn't actually charged pertaining to Qatar just to point out, kinda important legally!! @Midlands Robin

Yeah, you're absolutely correct in that respect. 

It's long been suggested that the vote to award the Cup to Qatar was massively affected by bribery but I don't think anything was directly proven. 

Also, there was the 1999 book that Blatter tried to have banned in several countries (succeeding to do so in Switzerland) that claimed that Qatar paid 50,000 dollars to 20 Fifa delegates (totalling 1 million) to swing their votes to Blatter at the 51st Fifa Congress in 1998.

This story was also backed up by several other journalists in the following years. 

The Qatar World Cup has widely been seen as payback for their efforts to get and keep Blatter in office. 

I suppose with none of this officially proven it would have made changing the host extremely difficult and cause significant contractual issues. You do have to wonder though, with all of the other cases of corruption being investigated at the time, Qatar was under one stone too many so they got away with it. 

I can't think of a world cup since the very first one I remember watching in 1982 that I have less looked forward to and that includes the ones we didn't qualify for. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

HIGNFY was good last night, host Gary Neville got torn a new one by Ian Hislop on his stance of going, taking cash to commentate, but highlight issues when he's there (which he cleared won't be able to do during his match commentary) 

Watch from about 17mins25

https://youtu.be/X41N-eCQmOQ

shame Madeley was on it, he's just a moron. 

• Like 1

I think it we should turn round now and pull out. Be brilliant 

I saw some fifa statement the other day urging everyone to now concentrate on the football as sport and politics should not be mixed. How very convenient.

This will be the shitest WC ever I’m sure 

Edited by milo1111
  • Confused 1

39 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

I think it we should turn round now and pull out. Be brilliant 

I saw some fifa statement the other day urging everyone to now concentrate on the football as sport and politics should not be mixed. How very convenient.

This will be the shitest WC ever I’m sure 

I’ve only just put the England games into my calendar!  I’m not up for it at all.

27 minutes ago, luke_bristol said:

This would be brilliant, I’d love to see the response of FIFA and Qatar.

Would be a personal statement, not a political one, but would create a far bigger "political" issue/statement than so called political utterance by any of the participating countries 

Edited by downendcity

On 04/11/2022 at 13:27, maxjak said:

IMHO, it's because those "FA'S" are just as corrupt as FIFA

5 hours ago, downendcity said:

Would put the cat among the pigeons if a player selected for a world cup squad came out as gay on the eve of the tournament.

I think all the England players should give each other a kiss before kick off, then get the cameraman to zoom in on the Qatar official in the stand lookjng outraged!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

I think all the England players should give each other a kiss before kick off, then get the cameraman to zoom in on the Qatar official in the stand lookjng outraged!

Same with goals and a little Pat in the bum too for good measure ?

Edited by Davefevs
  • Haha 1

On 05/11/2022 at 14:39, Tinmans Love Child said:

HIGNFY was good last night, host Gary Neville got torn a new one by Ian Hislop on his stance of going, taking cash to commentate, but highlight issues when he's there (which he cleared won't be able to do during his match commentary) 

Watch from about 17mins25

https://youtu.be/X41N-eCQmOQ

Watch the same episode at about 21 mins 40 seconds in for an on the field incident the Qatari's wouldn't want to happen!